Status
Please reply by conversation.

traver421

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
jax, fl
Hi,

I have been reading and searching the site for advice on my tailgate setup. Seems like most of the post are 1 year old or more.

Some info, I live in Daytona beach, FL and will be tailgating in Gainesville, FL about 90 miles as the crow flys. Go Gators!

I will have to lease a new box for this reason only. I would like to get espn and locals. What box should I get from Direct Tv, basic or basic hd box?

From what I read , I don't want to mess with setting up for Hd with the slimline dish. It seems easier and faster with just SD service. I currently have a single lnb direct dish in the attic. Will I be able to get locals and espn off the 101 with the single lnb dish? I was looking for on ebay for a 3 lnb 18 dish, they seem cheap. Anywhere else to buy cheap?

I have no prob with the mast for the dish or the gen.

Thanks for the advice and help!

Hi,

I have been reading and searching the site for advice on my tailgate setup. Seems like most of the post are 1 year old or more.

Some info, I live in Daytona beach, FL and will be tailgating in Gainesville, FL about 90 miles as the crow flys. Go Gators!

I will have to lease a new box for this reason only. I would like to get espn and locals. What box should I get from Direct Tv, basic or basic hd box?

From what I read , I don't want to mess with setting up for Hd with the slimline dish. It seems easier and faster with just SD service. I currently have a single lnb direct dish in the attic. Will I be able to get locals and espn off the 101 with the single lnb dish? I was looking for on ebay for a 3 lnb 18 dish, they seem cheap. Anywhere else to buy cheap?

I have no prob with the mast for the dish or the gen.

Thanks for the advice and help!
WELCOME to the Site !!!!

There is a LOT of info on tailgate / RV/ Camping set ups on the board of late.

As for your 3 LNB set up your looking into, make sure your getting what you need.
The old 3 LNB set ups got the 101, 110 and 119 sats, theres not much on the 110 and 119 anymore.

IF you get the old 18" single LNB, that points at the 101 sat, this would give you the Core programming.
As far as your locals, you would probably be fine with your SD Locals, being that far away, however I would look to see what sat your SD locals are on.

Also check to see that ESPN is also on the 101 in SD, I'm pretty sure it t all is there in SD on the 101, but you might want to check, particularly your locals.

One of this site’s old sponsors has a nice tailgate kit that comes with a 3 or 5 lnb dish, tripod and a roll of rg-6 cable. I bought one for $120.00 from his store in Columbus, OH while I was living in an apartment for 7 months due to a job I was on down there. It worked great and was worth the price I paid for it.

where to check for channels?

Where can I check to make sure the channels are on the 101 sat?

I would love for the first yr just tune in 101 with my single lnb sat I have.

Jacksonville SD locals are on the 119 satellite. HD is on 103.

You would need either the 3 LNB SD Dish or a full blown slimline.

There is a thread here on some using a 99/101/103 slimline LNB on an old 3lnb SD dish for tailgating, so it can be done but is tougher to aim.

With a basic 101 single lnb dish you will not get locals.

Looks like they don't want HD, so a 5 LNB Slimline or older set up would be in order.

As for recvr, what are you thinking of using for the tailgating recvr ?
Do you have an extra one at home to take ?

I just signed up for direct and have 2 dvr hd at the home in Daytona. I was going to call and just get one more sd receiver. Does anyone know what sat the Daytona Beach/Orlando spotbeam is for locals?

thanks for the help!

I just signed up for direct and have 2 dvr hd at the home in Daytona. I was going to call and just get one more sd receiver. Does anyone know what sat the Daytona Beach/Orlando spotbeam is for locals?

thanks for the help!

They are only about 50 miles apart, you shouldn't have much trouble getting them down there.

I think the Florida spot beams are pretty wide anyways.

You should be good.

Yah, Looking at the map on the top for the orlando spot beam it should reach up to Gainesville. Well from what I can tell. I am going to go with the sd box and single lnb 18 in dish with tripod.

thanks for all the help!

Yah, Looking at the map on the top for the orlando spot beam it should reach up to Gainesville. Well from what I can tell. I am going to go with the sd box and single lnb 18 in dish with tripod.

thanks for all the help!

NP :up

Let us know how it goes, keep us posted.

going to buy box

I was looking at direct website, I am going to use my old single lnb 18 dish for tailgating.

Should I buy just the basic sd box and use rb6 cable to hook up to my single lnb for sat 101 or should I buy the basic HD box and connect it to my single lnb 18'' dish and hook it up to my lcd tv with hdmi?

Will the hd box work?

It is only 30 bucks more for the hd box, maybe in the future I could upgrade the dish for maybe hd when I get better at setting it up?

thanks for the help again!

I am sure there a few tailgating threads here so excuse my newness.

Have d12 standard receiver, 2LNB 18x20 dish with tripod. I have connected everything together outside correctly. I can only get as far as selecting searching for channels or do
an automated search for channels. They screen tells me that some channels have been found, then I get the Direct TV logo and "searching for signal" message. Since I can't connect I can only use the Menu board for the TV, not a Direct TV menu.

I have all of this set up on my patio and have tried to moving the dish around and I have a good idea of where to point but I am not getting a nibble securing a signal. Help please.

I was looking at direct website, I am going to use my old single lnb 18 dish for tailgating.

Should I buy just the basic sd box and use rb6 cable to hook up to my single lnb for sat 101 or should I buy the basic HD box and connect it to my single lnb 18'' dish and hook it up to my lcd tv with hdmi?

Will the hd box work?

It is only 30 bucks more for the hd box, maybe in the future I could upgrade the dish for maybe hd when I get better at setting it up?

thanks for the help again!

You have two boxes at home, why not just use one of them ?

IF your talking about doing SD this year and possibly HD next year, get the HD box now, it will be ready when you go that way, so you don't need to try and get another box. Not much difference in price.

Also, it looks like you need the full blown 5 LNB for SD so you can get the 119 of your locals, OR the SL3 99/101/103 LNB set up for HD.
That being said, IF you decided to use the HD set up right now, you can go with the 3 LNB set up and have you locals on the 103 and you would also get the HD with this set up. You can still use a HD box with a SD recvr, if the TV is still SD, just thinking of how to optimize your money to do it once. :)

Hd box with single lnb

I guess my question is will a hd box work with a single lnb 18 in dish. This yr I just want to get sat 101 sd. Then the next I might upgrade to hd dish setup.

Thks!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.