Alex Rodriguez tests positive for steroids and now ADMITS it

Surprise, surprise!! Selena Roberts' book is coming out sooner than originally expected:

Speed it up! A-Rod book out sooner than planned - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

On a sports talk radio show I heard this morning, they were discussing rumors that Roberts has proof A-Rod* used steroids before 2001. Again, just rumors...

Does she accuse A-Rod of being involved in the Duke lacrosse scandal? ;)

'Hit and Run' accurately describes how she handled THAT coverage...

Sandra

So, Mr. Roid is supposed to address the NY Media after practice tomorrow. I can only expect a hammering of tough questions by those folks. This will surely put the softball questions asked by Peter Gammons to shame.

This will be a "fun" season for the Yankee's. Everywhere they go this "stink" is going to follow them. It will be interesting to see how this affects the rest of the team.

It sure is going to be a major distraction. Personally, I don't see how they overcome this.

A-Rod has been a walking, talking distraction since he arrived here. The team has been though things like this before, it'll be a big story for now but will die down again once baseball is actually being played. At least until the next big story.

Sandra

A-Rod has been a walking, talking distraction since he arrived here. The team has been though things like this before, it'll be a big story for now but will die down again once baseball is actually being played. At least until the next big story.

Sandra

It didn't die down for Barry Bonds when he was still playing. I see a constant barrage of questioning and criticism with every misstep or every loss by the Yanks. In no way do I see this ending pretty.

This will continue at least until the Yankee's have played in every city. Everywhere they go, there will be a fresh set of reporters looking for their story from A-Roid. I'm sure A-Roid will deal with it in time, he dug his own hole, but the rest of the team will be sick of this really fast.

It didn't die down for Barry Bonds when he was still playing. I see a constant barrage of questioning and criticism with every misstep or every loss by the Yanks. In no way do I see this ending pretty.

Just business as usual in the Bronx...

Sandra

As much as I personally don't like the idea of her profiting from this story, it looks like Roberts' book, its contents, and its new early release date will be the next big story.

Looks like A-Rod called Selena Roberts to apologize.

Rodriguez calls SI writer to apologize

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Alex Rodriguez has called Sports Illustrated's Selena Roberts to apologize for critical comments he made during an ESPN interview.

Roberts was co-author of the Feb. 7 article on SI's Web site that reported he was on a list of 104 players who tested positive for steroids during baseball's anonymous 2003 survey. Rodriguez told ESPN two days later that he had used banned substances from 2001-3 while playing for Texas.

"I know this lady from Sports Illustrated, Selena Roberts, is trying to throw things out there that in high school I tried steroids. I mean, that's the biggest bunch of baloney I've ever heard in my life," he told ESPN, adding that "this lady is coming out with all these allegations, all these lies."

Roberts said Sunday that Rodriguez called her last Wednesday. She didn't want to comment on the call until Rodriguez holds a news conference after arriving at spring training Tuesday.

She is writing a book "A-Rod: The Many Lives of Alex Rodriguez," due for publication by HarperCollins on April 14.

The Associated Press: Rodriguez calls SI writer to apologize

I see a constant barrage of questioning and criticism with every misstep or every loss by the Yanks.

One difference from the Bonds questions:

Those were not a good Giants teams. They have been declining since 2005, and even in 2007 when he broke the record, they stilled finished in the cellar.

Contrast that with the Yankees, who have made big acquisitions.

"all these years I didnt think I had done anything that was .....Wrong" - Aroid

lying isnt "wrong"
steroids are not "wrong"
cheating isnt "wrong"

He doesnt get it and never will.

A HOF has no issues with A-Rod....:rolleyes:

Schmidt: A-Rod handling crisis

By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Mike Schmidt knows he isn't speaking for all living Hall of Fame players, but if Alex Rodriguez joins their club someday, Schmidt said he would welcome him to the fraternity.

"Would I welcome him? Yeah, I will -- if he got elected to the Hall of Fame," Schmidt said Wednesday after he checked into the Philadelphia Phillies' spring training camp as a special instructor.

Jayson Stark thinks A-Rod brought many more questions, rather than clarity, about his PED use into the fold Tuesday.

Schmidt was elected to the Hall in 1995 with 96.5 percent of the vote, the third-highest percentage at the time -- behind Ty Cobb and Hank Aaron -- of any Hall of Fame position player. Asked why he wouldn't have qualms about accepting an admitted user of performance-enhancing drugs as a fellow Hall of Famer, Schmidt said he sees both sides of this issue.

"I'm a guy, I always seem to be walking right on top of, right down the middle of the fence," he said. "I can understand the old hard-line guys who use the words, 'He cheated, he cheated, he cheated.' And [I understand] the other guys that go, 'It was a culture thing back then, and if you played, you'd have been tempted, too.' "

In fact, when Schmidt was asked directly if he thought he'd have gotten caught up in trying performance-enhancing drugs had they been part of his era, he answered: "Most likely. Why not?"

"A term that I think has been overused a lot, especially by Alex, is 'culture' -- culture of the era he played in," Schmidt said. "We had a culture when I played. There was a culture in the era when Babe Ruth played. And in the '60s, there was a culture. It's just that way in life. And apparently -- I wasn't involved, but from hearing everybody -- that was the culture of the '90s and the early 2000s. The temptation had to be tremendous to the young men playing major league baseball back then."

But when he was asked if he thought that being "young and stupid" was an acceptable explanation for what A-Rod did, Schmidt said: "Young and stupid may be better [when you're] 12, 13, 14, as opposed to 23, 4, 5 and 6."

Schmidt has said in the past he identifies with Rodriguez as a guy who has had trouble at times conquering the mental side of the game. So it's not surprising that Schmidt feels as though, for a man in the middle of a firestorm, Rodriguez "has handled it very well -- the best you can do at damage control, I guess."

"I think he's doing the best he can do, based upon who he is and the town he plays in and the pressure he's under," Schmidt said. "He's got two choices -- face it or hide from it. And I don't think there's any in-between. We've seen some of the guys who have hidden from it, and how their lives have changed. And I think facing it head-on is the best way for someone like Alex."

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=3915892"]Mike Schmidt says he would accept Alex Rodriguez as Hall of Famer - ESPN[/ame]

IF it's good enough for Mike Schmidt....it's good enough for me!:up:up

So, all that means is he may have to wait a few more years for the Veteran's Committee to elect him in. By then, it will truly be a jury of his peers...

Did Mike Schmidt do "greenies"?

I don't know....but he said HIMSELF that he might have done PEDs HIMSELF if it were around in that time or if it was what everyone else was doing....:

In fact, when Schmidt was asked directly if he thought he'd have gotten caught up in trying performance-enhancing drugs had they been part of his era, he answered: "Most likely. Why not?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts