Championship Week 2009 Thread

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
I hope this is ok and doesnt interfere with the NCAA thread but I figured this would be a thread for championship week. I like Championship Week because its unpredictable and fun with all the upsets and good games.
We could post the Championship Week schedule and/or talk about the games. What do you think?

ACC Tournament is in Atlanta, which is very ironic, since that's where the SEC Tournament usually is.
I love championship week. That week and the first week of the NCAA Tournament are as good as it gets.

I went the ACC Tournament the last time it was in Atlanta, 2001. Great time until the championship which I have tried to blot from my memory. But the rest of the tournament was fantastic. Hopefully there will be no tornados hitting the Georgia Dome this year.

The SEC tournament is at the St. Pete Times Forum this year.

The SEC tournament is at the St. Pete Times Forum this year.

To me, it seems like the SEC and ACC Tournaments should flip-flop.

SEC Tournaments have traditionally occured in the Georgia Dome (ask Ramy- he's a Kentucky fan, and the Wildcats won 5 of the 7 SEC Tournaments in that building), and the ACC Tournament was in Tampa two years ago (ask anders- UNC won it).

SEC Tournaments have traditionally occured in the Georgia Dome (ask Ramy- he's a Kentucky fan, and the Wildcats won 5 of the 7 SEC Tournaments in that building), and the ACC Tournament was in Tampa two years ago (ask anders- UNC won it).
Tampa is too far away. The ACC Tournament is best in NC. Although having it in Atlanta or DC from time to time is OK.

They also won the championship their one year. It was either 96 or 98.

BTW Anders,

if UNC stays in the East (which I think they will), the East Regionals are in Boston this year. :up

I don't think the ACC Tournament will ever be in Boston, but it is a great event. If you ever get a chance to go you should. Actually the ACC baseball tournament was supposed to be in Fenway this year, but I think they moved it for some reason.

I'm not sure UNC will be in the east this year. They don't have the luxury of playing close to home after the opening rounds. Every projection I've seen has UConn playing in Boston, but that may change now.

I don't think the ACC Tournament will ever be in Boston, but it is a great event. If you ever get a chance to go you should. Actually the ACC baseball tournament was supposed to be in Fenway this year, but I think they moved it for some reason.

I agree, we'll never see the ACC Tourney here, just wishful thinking on my part.

I had no idea that the basebal tourney was going to be at Fenway. I wonder why they changed it? That would have been a great take, as there's several quality baseball programs in the ACC. :up

I'm not sure UNC will be in the east this year. They don't have the luxury of playing close to home after the opening rounds. Every projection I've seen has UConn playing in Boston, but that may change now.

I've seen the same projections, but figured it may have changed after UConn's loss last night.

Where are the other three regionals?
East: Boston
Midwest: Indianapolis
South: Memphis
West: Glendale, AZ

I had to look that up. Funny that the west regional is in Phoenix 2 years in a row, but last year it was at US Airways Arena and this year it's at the Cardinals stadium. No idea on why the change.

If the top seeds are Oklahoma, UNC, Pitt and UConn, who goes where?
They try to do it by the top teams play wherever is closest, and they do measure by miles. So it depends on what the exact order of the top 4 is. That's why UConn would have dibs on Boston if they stayed #1. I guess Pitt or UNC to Indy and Oklahoma to Memphis. Whoever is #4 goes out west.

Damn!

How many seats will be available in those big places?!
Lots. Like 50-60,000 because they now moved the court to the middle of the field so they can open up the whole stadium. Same goes for Detroit at the FF. Personally I don't get the attraction of watching basketball in from way up high in a football stadium. I'd rather watch on TV.

They try to do it by the top teams play wherever is closest, and they do measure by miles. So it depends on what the exact order of the top 4 is. That's why UConn would have dibs on Boston if they stayed #1. I guess Pitt or UNC to Indy and Oklahoma to Memphis. Whoever is #4 goes out west.

UConn would fare better out West.

In their national championship years of 1999 and 2004, they came out of the West region.

Contrast that with what happened the last time they were a #1 seed in the East region.

I believe in these trends.

UConn would fare better out West.

In their national championship years of 1999 and 2004, they came out of the West region.

Contrast that with what happened the last time they were a #1 seed in the East region.

I believe in these trends.
If you're a Husky fan and you're supersticious then you're probably not thrilled that they moved the west regional site to the Cardinals stadium and out of US Airways arena where they won both regionals titles in the past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)