SabresRule's Latest Random Thoughts

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
The Steroid-Free Edition!

1. It's stunning how the Sacramento Kings have fallen from the NBA elite. Losing by 48 points to a mediocre Suns team is stunning for a team that was a title contender from 1999-2004.

2. I'm picking Oklahoma and Pittsburgh to play for the national title in Ford Field in early April.

3. In sports, experience is a common factor in saying a team is a title conteder. Is experience in sports overrated? I remember the Miami Heat were touted as a playoff darkhorse in 2007, and they got swept by the Bulls!

4. Who ya got winning the NBA Rookie/Sophomore Game on Friday- Rookies or Sophomores?

5. Over/Under: 300 combined points in the NBA All-Star Game?

6. Spring training baseball games are meaningless and glorified exhibitions, just like NFL preseason games. How come nobody rags on spring training? It's just as meaningless, and if a team does well in Spring Training, what if they have a bad year?

7. Salsa, you lived in Chicago for many years. What's the difference between the atmosphere at a Bulls game and the atmosphere at a Heat game?

8. The Mets remind me of the Dallas Cowboys- moving from an old stadium to a sparkling new palace, have a team loaded with big names, have a manager that is a puppet for the owners, and underachieve down the stretch.

9. Speaking of the 'Boys, Dallas officially released Pacman Jones (today's the first day to make releases, though we knew it was going to happen). I will NEVER understand why Dallas gave him a shot. T.O. was not the problem- Mr. "Make it Rain" was. He is the biggest cancer in football history- say what you will about Owens and Vick, but at least they have been GOOD football players. Hell, I could be a better cornerback than the Pacman- and I'm out-of-shape!

10. Has there ever been a team that relies on the three-point shot like this year's Orlando Magic?

11. Who will be the biggest year's NFL free-agents?

12. If anyone thinks the Chiefs are going to have a great year for their first-year coach ala Atlanta and Miami, you're crazy. Those team GAINED good players (Michael Turner, Chad Pennington, Joey Porter, Matt Ryan), while the Chiefs could lose their two best players (Tony Gonzalez, Larry Johnson)

13. What are your favorite Valentine's Day candies?

14. What are you doing for Valentine's Day, for your wife, spouse, girlfriend, or other?

15. I don't understand why so many people are getting on Lane Kiffin poking fun at the Florida Gators? What is he supposed to do- get stomped on and show no resistance? When you go toe-to-toe with a bear, you better bring a flamethrower- you don't just let Goliath show you up and not try and fight.

16. A lot of unique things happening recently on this site- Sandra's infatuation with Henrik Lundqvist is over, and BillD returned. What's going to happen next- salsadancer pours his heart out and admits he misses Rob Ryan?

17. In light of how good Marquette is and how bad Indiana is, Tom Creen will forever regret his decision to jump on a sinking ship!

18. Gary Sheffield is one homer away from reaching 500. Will he get it before or after Easter?

19. Do we even need to play out the NCAA Women's tournament? We all know UConn will win the title- the only question is who will be their inevitable victim in the title game? (I'll say California)

20. Congratulations to Sandra on reaching 1,000 posts!

2. I'm picking Oklahoma and Pittsburgh to play for the national title in Ford Field in early April.

Bad move. Oklahoma is overrated. Mind you I do think that Blake Griffin is the real deal, but the team is not. They are just squeaking by some poor teams in the Big XII. I wouldn't bet on the Sooners in March any more than I would bet on Bob Stoops in a BCS game. You know who's going to be there in Detroit. It's no mystery. Tar Heels all the way.

9. Speaking of the 'Boys, Dallas officially released Pacman Jones (today's the first day to make releases, though we knew it was going to happen). I will NEVER understand why Dallas gave him a shot. T.O. was not the problem- Mr. "Make it Rain" was. He is the biggest cancer in football history- say what you will about Owens and Vick, but at least they have been GOOD football players. Hell, I could be a better cornerback than the Pacman- and I'm out-of-shape!

Pacman a Mr Davis from Oakland is on the phone. Book it. He'll be in silver and black.

17. In light of how good Marquette is and how bad Indiana is, Tom Creen will forever regret his decision to jump on a sinking ship!

Indiana will be back. Crean knew what he was doing. Still it's gotta be tough to leave a team as good as the one he had at Marquette, but he has a chance to dominate the Big Ten, something he never could have done in the Big East.

Bad move. Oklahoma is overrated. Mind you I do think that Blake Griffin is the real deal, but the team is not. They are just squeaking by some poor teams in the Big XII. I wouldn't bet on the Sooners in March any more than I would bet on Bob Stoops in a BCS game. You know who's going to be there in Detroit. It's no mystery. Tar Heels all the way.

I'm surprised you haven't commented on my pick of Pittsburgh.

1. It's stunning how the Sacramento Kings have fallen from the NBA elite. Losing by 48 points to a mediocre Suns team is stunning for a team that was a title contender from 1999-2004.

They are truly pitiful now.

Good pick, but I'm going with the other two teams that are the consensus pick to make the Final Four: UNC vs. UConn

3. In sports, experience is a common factor in saying a team is a title conteder. Is experience in sports overrated? I remember the Miami Heat were touted as a playoff darkhorse in 2007, and they got swept by the Bulls!

I think experience CAN be important in certain instances, but I generally feel like it's overrated.

4. Who ya got winning the NBA Rookie/Sophomore Game on Friday- Rookies or Sophomores?

Sophomores, because experience is more important. :D

Under. I'll say 277

6. Spring training baseball games are meaningless and glorified exhibitions, just like NFL preseason games. How come nobody rags on spring training? It's just as meaningless, and if a team does well in Spring Training, what if they have a bad year?

I think it has a lot to do with the first word: S-P-R-I-N-G!!!!

8. The Mets remind me of the Dallas Cowboys- moving from an old stadium to a sparkling new palace, have a team loaded with big names, have a manager that is a puppet for the owners, and underachieve down the stretch.

At least the Mets have won a playoff game in this century. ;)

9. Speaking of the 'Boys, Dallas officially released Pacman Jones (today's the first day to make releases, though we knew it was going to happen). I will NEVER understand why Dallas gave him a shot. T.O. was not the problem- Mr. "Make it Rain" was. He is the biggest cancer in football history- say what you will about Owens and Vick, but at least they have been GOOD football players.

Totally agree!

10. Has there ever been a team that relies on the three-point shot like this year's Orlando Magic?

IIRC, the Phoenix Suns in the late 80's were a heavily reliant three point shooting team

I have to take a look at it.

12. If anyone thinks the Chiefs are going to have a great year for their first-year coach ala Atlanta and Miami, you're crazy. Those team GAINED good players (Michael Turner, Chad Pennington, Joey Porter, Matt Ryan), while the Chiefs could lose their two best players (Tony Gonzalez, Larry Johnson)

Maybe not, but I GUARANTEE Scott Pioli will turn that organization around!

None. I'm not into junk food.

14. What are you doing for Valentine's Day, for your wife, spouse, girlfriend,

Going out to dinner with the wife.............and supper with the girlfriend :D

Creen will turn the Hoosiers around eventually.

18. Gary Sheffield is one homer away from reaching 500. Will he get it before or after Easter?

Before

:cool:

I'm surprised you haven't commented on my pick of Pittsburgh.
That could happen. I was skeptical of Pitt at the start of the season, but they have done well so far. I like UConn more in the BE, but as to who gets further in the tournament, it's anyone's guess. I'm as curious as anyone to see who will lose to Carolina in the NC. :D

You may not be too far off with Oklahoma. Usually in the tourney, you need to have that 1 star-studded talent to succeed. Blake Griffen definitely is that guy.

Experience is an advantage to a point. There is a fine line in being experienced and using it to your advantage emotionally and just being plain old.

Rookies in a route. Much more talent than the sophs this year. Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, Derrick Rose and Greg Oden. (Yes Oden is considered a rookie this year).

Under. At least the East will emphasize defense with Mike Brown at the helm. ;)

Like Bill said. Spring is a welcome sign of renewal. The introduction to Spring means the end of winter. And besides, Spring Training games for the most part take place away from the team's hometown, in resort destinations. The fans aren't held hostage for outrageous prices to go see them like they are in the NFL.

Let's just hope no one else signs this disgrace.

This will be the Magic's downfall this year.

Kurt Warner, Darren Sproles, Brandon Jacobs, TJ Housh, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs.

These Chiefs have less talent than a pop-warner team.

Chocolate covered grapes from Malley's.

14. What are you doing for Valentine's Day, for your wife, spouse, girlfriend, or other?

Reservations at Lolita in Cleveland. This is one of the two local restaurants owned and run by the infamous Iron Chef and star of Dinner Impossible on the Food Network: Michael Symon. I'm looking forward to a spectacular dinner.

I hope never. Sheff is one of my least favorite players in the MLB.

2. I'm picking Oklahoma and Pittsburgh to play for the national title in Ford Field in early April. Wow, what a blow that would be to the whole ACC dominance theory!

6. Spring training baseball games are meaningless and glorified exhibitions, just like NFL preseason games. How come nobody rags on spring training? It's just as meaningless, and if a team does well in Spring Training, what if they have a bad year? I agree with Bill. It's because it's Spring.

8. The Mets remind me of the Dallas Cowboys- moving from an old stadium to a sparkling new palace, have a team loaded with big names, have a manager that is a puppet for the owners, and underachieve down the stretch. Manuel is not a puppet. He's definitely his own man.

14. What are you doing for Valentine's Day, for your wife, spouse, girlfriend, or other? I have a feeling my boyfriend is going to like his gift.

20. Congratulations to Sandra on reaching 1,000 posts! Not a great milestone. 990 of them were stupid bickering with the dancing boy...

Sandra

1. It's stunning how the Sacramento Kings have fallen from the NBA elite. Losing by 48 points to a mediocre Suns team is stunning for a team that was a title contender from 1999-2004. A cycle that just about every team goes through, no big deal.

3. In sports, experience is a common factor in saying a team is a title conteder. Is experience in sports overrated? I remember the Miami Heat were touted as a playoff darkhorse in 2007, and they got swept by the Bulls! Experience is overrated as well as chemistry. You gave a perfect example of experience and the Yankees, Orioles and A's are a perfect example of chemistry being overrated.

6. Spring training baseball games are meaningless and glorified exhibitions, just like NFL preseason games. How come nobody rags on spring training? It's just as meaningless, and if a team does well in Spring Training, what if they have a bad year? Spring training is baseball is different as far as evaluation is concerned because of the minor league system. You see if the young players you have are ready for prime time or not, or do they need alittle seasoning in the minors to sharpen their skills. In football and basketball, there is no minir league system.

7. Salsa, you lived in Chicago for many years. What's the difference between the atmosphere at a Bulls game and the atmosphere at a Heat game? Well remember, in Chicago, I had partial locker room access do to my job, here I don't. The stadium here during the Heat Championship was pretty loud...but NOTHING will ever compare to the atmosphere druing the Bulls run, ESPECIALLY after Micheal Jordan came back.

8. The Mets remind me of the Dallas Cowboys- moving from an old stadium to a sparkling new palace, have a team loaded with big names, have a manager that is a puppet for the owners, and underachieve down the stretch. I like Jerry Manuel, and I definately don't think he is a puppet. The Mets collapse the last couple of years have been mostly due to a suspect bullpen, they might have fixed that with this years pickup of K-Rod. Who knows, but I think the AL East and the NL east will be the most fun divisions in baseball

10. Has there ever been a team that relies on the three-point shot like this year's Orlando Magic? But the have THE most underrated coach in ALL the NBA, Stan Van Gundy AND a very well balanced team. They are gonna surprise someone in the playoffs.

12. If anyone thinks the Chiefs are going to have a great year for their first-year coach ala Atlanta and Miami, you're crazy. Those team GAINED good players (Michael Turner, Chad Pennington, Joey Porter, Matt Ryan), while the Chiefs could lose their two best players (Tony Gonzalez, Larry Johnson) The Dolphins ALREADY had Joey Porter, but they played in a defensive system that litterally made him non-existant. They changed the system and he either lead or almost lead the NFL in sacks. The MAIN thing you had to look was not the coaches, but the QB play. ALL those teams that played well that sucked the year before...all have VERY good, relaible QB play. NOT the coaching.

13. What are your favorite Valentine's Day candies? I am not gonna discuss my wife in any way, shape or form with you guys!:hungry:;):p:mad:

14. What are you doing for Valentine's Day, for your wife, spouse, girlfriend, or other? Read above!;)

15. I don't understand why so many people are getting on Lane Kiffin poking fun at the Florida Gators? What is he supposed to do- get stomped on and show no resistance? When you go toe-to-toe with a bear, you better bring a flamethrower- you don't just let Goliath show you up and not try and fight. Besides, recruiting is just a notch below politics when to how dirty it is. He was not saying anything MOST coaches see in a yearly basis.

16. A lot of unique things happening recently on this site- Sandra's infatuation with Henrik Lundqvist is over, and BillD returned. What's going to happen next- salsadancer pours his heart out and admits he misses Rob Ryan? Ahhhh..no! Not gonna happen, you have a better chance of me professing undying love to Sandra before THAT happens.:rolleyes:;)

18. Gary Sheffield is one homer away from reaching 500. Will he get it before or after Easter? I don't really care about this a$$hole one bit. He is by far, a much bigger a$$hole than Clemens and Bonds are/were.

;)

7. Salsa, you lived in Chicago for many years. What's the difference between the atmosphere at a Bulls game and the atmosphere at a Heat game?

15. I don't understand why so many people are getting on Lane Kiffin poking fun at the Florida Gators? What is he supposed to do- get stomped on and show no resistance? When you go toe-to-toe with a bear, you better bring a flamethrower- you don't just let Goliath show you up and not try and fight.

16. A lot of unique things happening recently on this site- Sandra's infatuation with Henrik Lundqvist is over, and BillD returned. What's going to happen next- salsadancer pours his heart out and admits he misses Rob Ryan?

19. Do we even need to play out the NCAA Women's tournament? We all know UConn will win the title- the only question is who will be their inevitable victim in the title game? (I'll say California)

20. Congratulations to Sandra on reaching 1,000 posts!

How about Thomas Vanek being out for 4 weeks? You think that the sabres will continue to roll without him? I sure hope they do.

I think its becouse one its the start of nice weather (for us in the midwest) and in baseball some jobs could be won (does the new hot shot rookie take over for the veteran)
And two it does give you a chance to see possible future players. Where as in football, guys who get cut are not part of the team unless they are practice squad.

Wife and I are going out for a nice dinner, just a chance to have a nice dinner and relax for a few hours without the kids:)

I am going to say before Easter, I think he will have an ok season. Not huge but ok if he is healthy as he says he is.

2 - I'm looking to Tobacco Road.

6 - Apples to Oranges. In baseball, while much of the country is frozen, and even the upper South is cold, the actual players of the Bigs or at least AAA play games in Florida and Arizona. Played in small parks for a fair price (for most teams). With a legitimate purpose of finding the team for the year and playing their way into shape. In football, guys who will certainly be selling used cars come September are dressed out in uniforms of teams they will never play on for real and run out, at full price in the pro stadium under a mandatory ticket purchase for season ticket holders, in the heat of August for no purpose other than to make money, the team's makeup being decided in camp workouts, not by what happens in these meaningless games.

8 - The Mets remind me of the Clippers. The #2 team in a one team town.

9 - Name a WVU player that is not a thug. That is how players end up at programs like that. Either they don't have the talent, grades, or character to make it in the better conferences. In the case of the Pac-Criminal, it was both character and grades. Guys don't leave SEC/ACC country to sign with a Leastleftover because they really like the weather.

13 - Never gotten any.

15 - Needs to win a game and let that talk for him. LK is going to be the worst hire at a True Major program since Michigan kicked Carr under the bus for Rodriquez.

18 - Steroid cheat.

19 - Not just this year, but every year, if the best men's team is a "100" then the 20th best is a "97" and the 100th best is a "90". In women, if the best team ia a "100" then 20th is an "80" and 100 is a "40". The PC police's insistance that the women's game be operated just like the men's game just pads the records with cheep wins and dull 40 point blowouts. Teams recruit on a national basis different from any men's sport. Division One in women's basketball should be about 70 teams broken up into five or six conferences.

8 - The Mets remind me of the Clippers. The #2 team in a one team town.

Not even close. The Mets have taken over the city for years, maybe even decades, at a time...and can do so again. When the Mets are good they can dominate the talk radio airwaves.

Sandra

Not even close. The Mets have taken over the city for years, maybe even decades, at a time...and can do so again. When the Mets are good they can dominate the talk radio airwaves.

Sandra

I get this from the times I listen to The Fan.

If there's any New York team that you can compare the Clippers to (as far as second banana status) it would be the Islanders to the Rangers, or the Nets to the Knicks.

It seems to me that the Mets, Jets, and to a lesser extent, the Devils can stand on their own.

I get this from the times I listen to The Fan.

If there's any New York team that you can compare the Clippers to (as far as second banana status) it would be the Islanders to the Rangers, or the Nets to the Knicks.

It seems to me that the Mets, Jets, and to a lesser extent, the Devils can stand on their own.

True. New York is probably a three team baseball town, not a one team town. Won't ever happen again though.

The Devils hang in there because they win every year. If they played like the Rangers they'd have more crickets than fans.

Sandra

True. New York is probably a three team baseball town, not a one team town. Won't ever happen again though.

The Devils hang in there because they win every year. If they played like the Rangers they'd have more crickets than fans.

Sandra

Did the Dodgers come back to Brooklyn?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts