SabresRule's Latest Random Thoughts

17. In light of how good Marquette is and how bad Indiana is, Tom Creen will forever regret his decision to jump on a sinking ship!

I'm pretty sure that, unlike you, Creen knew exactly what he was getting into when he went to IU!!!...:rolleyes: No one here in Indiana expected a whole lot of a team that was left in shambles by a cheating coach who should have never been hired in the first place!!!...:eek: As soon as he can get his recruits into place, IU will be back on the winning track and will pick back up the great tradition that Indiana University basketball is!!!...:up

Why do you continue to state you know what other people, who you have never met, or ever will, are thinking???...:shh

Are there still a lot of Dodger fans in Brooklyn? I mean people who still live there that root for them? Just curious.

This isn't much more than an educated guess from me, but I don't believe many held onto their Dodger allegiance at the time...at least not for long. While some probably held allegiance simply because their favorite players were still playing together (albeit 3,000 miles away), many were so mad at O'Malley they refused to root for his team anymore.

It was probably mixed from 1958-1962, but as the 'Brooklyn' Dodgers populated the Los Angeles team less and less, and the Mets gave them reason to root for a team other than the hated Yankees, allegiance to Los Angeles pretty much stopped.

This is from recollections from my dad and others who were around then (and aren't now), I hope I portrayed it properly. And my dad was a Yankee fan, so he's not even the best source for this.

Sandra

I'm pretty sure that, unlike you, Creen knew exactly what he was getting into when he went to IU!!!...:rolleyes: No one here in Indiana expected a whole lot of a team that was left in shambles by a cheating coach who should have never been hired in the first place!!!...:eek: As soon as he can get his recruits into place, IU will be back on the winning track and will pick back up the great tradition that Indiana University basketball is!!!...:up

Why do you continue to state you know what other people, who you have never met, or ever will, are thinking???...:shh

Agreed. The guy was a great coach at MSU and Marquette. He inherited a program that was decimated by Sampson. How many players from last year did you guys have left over? Couldn't have been many. The Indiana job is still one of the "plum" jobs in the NCAA. Not many schools with a basketball history like Indiana's. All though I'm a MICHIGAN man and a big fan of MSU basketball, I relly am hoping that Creen can bring this program back. It would be good for the BIG 10 and the NCAA.

This isn't much more than an educated guess from me, but I don't believe many held onto their Dodger allegiance at the time...at least not for long. While some probably held allegiance simply because their favorite players were still playing together (albeit 3,000 miles away), many were so mad at O'Malley they refused to root for his team anymore.

It was probably mixed from 1958-1962, but as the 'Brooklyn' Dodgers populated the Los Angeles team less and less, and the Mets gave them reason to root for a team other than the hated Yankees, allegiance to Los Angeles pretty much stopped.

This is from recollections from my dad and others who were around then (and aren't now), I hope I portrayed it properly. And my dad was a Yankee fan, so he's not even the best source for this.

Sandra

Thank you for that. I expected that there would have been a ton of animosity towards the owners of "The Bums", but not for the "Boys of Summer". Those teams in the fifties were something else. Still can't believe they didn't capture more championships. Maybe the most talented teams in baseball back in their day.

Agreed. The guy was a great coach at MSU and Marquette. He inherited a program that was decimated by Sampson. How many players from last year did you guys have left over? Couldn't have been many. The Indiana job is still one of the "plum" jobs in the NCAA. Not many schools with a basketball history like Indiana's. All though I'm a MICHIGAN man and a big fan of MSU basketball, I relly am hoping that Creen can bring this program back. It would be good for the BIG 10 and the NCAA.

I agree also.

College basketball isn't the same when the Hoosiers are down. The same goes for UCLA, UNC, Duke, Kansas and Kentucky.

Sacramento went downhill after they let Peja,Divac,Turkoglu, Chrstie, Bibby go...
Webber was not huge, we could have lived without him, the guy was worn after the 03 season..he was done for.
Sacramento has gotten some good rookies, but they won't go far with them for another few years, what Sacramento needs is some good free agents in the next couple years to even get somewhere. I can tell you this much: They will not give out anymore large contracts out in a very long time.

Sacramento went downhill after they let Peja,Divac,Turkoglu, Chrstie, Bibby go...
Webber was not huge, we could have lived without him, the guy was worn after the 03 season..he was done for.
Sacramento has gotten some good rookies, but they won't go far with them for another few years, what Sacramento needs is some good free agents in the next couple years to even get somewhere. I can tell you this much: They will not give out anymore large contracts out in a very long time.
I heard the Kings could lose $25 million this year.

14. What are you doing for Valentine's Day, for your wife, spouse, girlfriend, or other?

Reservations at Lolita in Cleveland. This is one of the two local restaurants owned and run by the infamous Iron Chef and star of Dinner Impossible on the Food Network: Michael Symon. I'm looking forward to a spectacular dinner.

How are you going to plan around All-Star Saturday, HD?

Are there any Cavs in those skill competitions?

How are you going to plan around All-Star Saturday, HD?

Are there any Cavs in those skill competitions?

Trust me my friend, I think of all things sports when it comes to planning like this. Even when I got married, I scheduled it on a Browns Bye week.

With that said, our dinner is tonight, not Saturday. :)

Did the Dodgers come back to Brooklyn?

Oh that they would.
I lived in NJ until 1951 and we all routed for the Bums.
It was a black day when they left for LA by that time we were in Cincinnati but it was still a black day for us. By the way in my youth I went to see games at all the NY ball fields, Ebits field Polo grounds, and Yankee stadium.
I remember at Yankee stadium you could leave the field by walking out through center field and walk past the monuments. It was a neat experience.

Oh that they would.
I lived in NJ until 1951 and we all routed for the Bums.
It was a black day when they left for LA by that time we were in Cincinnati but it was still a black day for us. By the way in my youth I went to see games at all the NY ball fields, Ebits field Polo grounds, and Yankee stadium.
I remember at Yankee stadium you could leave the field by walking out through center field and walk past the monuments. It was a neat experience.

Wolf, how old ARE you?

Kudos my friend.

My folks are 50 years old and they can barely make it on the internet to check their e-mail through AOL, much less join forums and stuff....

I understand computers fairly good as I am an MVS systems programmer and have been one since 1971.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts