Alien HD-8240 vs Micro HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Support for the MicroHD is unequaled as far as FTA receivers go. I don't use my MicroHD with a dish mover, I just use an old Uniden analog receiver to move my c-band dish. It drives the Ku dish motor just fine though too.

I was wondering why the comparison to the Alien 8240?
So, I searched for more info on it.
Kinda looks like another S9/10 (I haven't kept up), but with claimed better North American support.
Without a proper review here, I too would buy the successful and well supported microHD.

But a shoot out or review would be far more interesting than yet another discussion of a $49 receiver that can't manage proper motor control. ;)
So if you DO get an Alien, I hope you will compare it to all the published comments of the microHD. :)

Have you guys making the call for the mHD actually had any experience with the other receiver?

I was wondering why the comparison to the Alien 8240?
So, I searched for more info on it.
Kinda looks like another S9/10 (I haven't kept up), but with claimed better North American support.
Without a proper review here, I too would buy the successful and well supported microHD.

hmm i looked at the site too, i wonder if they're going to try to compete?

In our testing, the microHD with the Airoha AV2012 tuner had significantly better sensitivity and performance over the 8240. The 8240 is well constructed and coded for the international brand distribution, but nice North American market revisions. I applaud the seller for removing the IKS/SKS GUI for importation and for protecting the brand against North American clones. Since the brand is so desired by the theft of service crowd, he is making a great statement by supporting FTA and not going after the easy money!

Not sure of the longevity of the product support as this North American reseller has not been in the distribution business before, but had typically sold a model for a very short time before moving on to another model. The Alien brand may be different as the seller appears to be establishing a long term relationship directly with the manufacturer.

Have you guys making the call for the mHD actually had any experience with the other receiver?

for as many shoddy receivers I've worked with (with false claims on the specs) when you find one that actually works, has great support, and doesnt fudge the specs why change?

just saying......

Thank you for the factual reply!
Brian has probably seen every unit out there, and probably knows more about the competition than the competition knows about itself!
The microHD was designed on this website for the users, here. Brian's remarks about the significant difference in sensitivity is very polite. And, because I personally respect his integrity and opinions -- again personally -- that would be a sale stopper for me. Every unit I have purchased from him, or he has recommended and I have purchased is still in service. Only one model I did not see him recommend (Fortec 5400 NA) that I purchased is still in service - here or at installs I have done!
If others have had the same experiences, that might account for SOME of the enthusiasm for the microHD.
This is my own biased, and not so humble, opinion! POP

for as many shoddy receivers I've worked with (with false claims on the specs) when you find one that actually works, has great support, and doesnt fudge the specs why change?

just saying......

I'll take that as a no. :)

I'm intrigued by the newer Ali 3606 processor. I ordered a Mini HD to see how it works. I see it as a chance to expand my FTA system from one room to two! :)

Take that as a yes... otherwise, I wouldn't have compared or commented. :cool:

BTW...The 3606 isn't a newer chipset than the 3601, but both are newer than the 3602. We had an option for any of these chipsets, and preferred the performance of the 3601 over the 3606 and also didn't need the CAS and network features for the microHD build.

We have not yet tested the miniHD model, but since the tuner is the same as the older 8240 model, I would expect similar performance as in previous tests.

I agree with Iceberg ..most of us have seen the crappy boxes and owned them too. I realize we live in wallymart world today but you get what you pay for. I'll admit I'm one who will still pay for a quality product with support after the sale

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)