AMIKO Alien2 scheduled recordings failing

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
From what I can find on the net, the Alien2 has a stupid bug that cancels a recording instead of moving the dish. If the dish is already parked at that sat, it records. I've been trying to figure out why most of my recordings are failing and I saw it happen the other day when the TV happened to be on when a recording was about to start.

Can anyone give any input on this. Any way around it? F**k me I hate this thing.

Sell it on Ebay, and buy one that works correctly. My MicroHD rarely (maybe twice in 2 years) fails to record properly, and I've owned 2 since early 2012. Granted, it's bare-bones satellite only, but it does the job.

I sold my X2 on Ebay for twice what I paid for it, there's plenty of people that don't comparison shop, and are willing to pay high dollar for even used receivers. I now also have an A3 I've been playing with, but boy howdy, that sucker has a steep learning-curve.. I would never recommend an A3 to a complete newbie (not that I'm saying YOU are a newbie)

I appreciate the input and I am thinking of selling the A2 - or throwing it out. I have a MicroHD and an S10 sitting in their boxes - one of which might come out of retirement. I used the MicroHD until I had the bluescreen playback issue for the 3rd time. I liked the S10 except for some sync issues. I'm probably going to stay away from Amiko products for my next purchase. There are other Android boxes starting to show up on ebay, so that market will be getting hotter and hopefully better. I'm not prepared to trade junk for junk right now, so I'll wait until the cream rises.

In the mean time if someone knows how to shake the demons out of the A2 recording issues, I'd love to hear about it.

What I do is set up a Change Service timer event to change the channel and then an HDD Record event to do the recording. I set the Change Service event (with a duration of 1 minute) to start 2 minutes before the scheduled recording event. The Recording Event is set to begin one minute after the Change Service event ends. There is probably an easier way to accomplish this but this works for me.

The only problem is the inability to immediately change the channel and begin recording on a different satellite without the change service delay.

Ernie

Thanks for the suggestion. Does this work for repeated daily recording or just one-off recordings?
I'm probably going to try Enigma 2 on this thing and see if that firmware is any better.
I tried it from a Non-Kingston brand USB stick and I can't tell if it was going to work since the HDMI input didn't kick in during the boot process, my TV said "no input detected". It eventually booted to Spark. F**k me I hate this thing.

I got Enigma 2 up and running and pretty much think it is a waste of my time to do a ton of set up and configuration, plugins, and more bug work arounds. It crashed during a scan and tried to reboot...That's all I needed to see to walk away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)