Aligning dish using new H25 receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wcastrod

Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Indianapolis
I am testing out my tailgate satellite dish, 3LNB SWM, and I am having difficulty using the receiver to get the signal. I bought a separate dish identical to the one I had install by Direct TV which gets perfect signal. I used the exact same tilt, elevation, and azimuth as the one installed by the technician but I can't get any signal at all. I have the dish mounted on a tripod and I made sure that the mast was plum while being held in the stand.

I thought that there was an audio tuner available on these receivers so you could make small adjustments to hone in on the signal but I can't seem to find it. Has anyone tried to acquire a signal using the new receivers? Do I just need to break down and buy a signal finder? Thanks for the help.

You just need Patience and practice.

As for the audio tones, for some reason they've done away with them in the D* branded recvrs, at least I have yet to be able to use one since.

No you don't need a signal meter, use the one in the recvr.

That said, I have never used a H25 yet.

My thought is that after years of success with the "twist and shout" they feel it more professional to use a $500.00 meter.

There is significant lag time to the on screen meter and you either need to see it or have a helper on a cell phone. Some units seem to show twenty points below what will eventually show after activation. That is why they call it "peaking."

Me too, no H25.

Joe

You just need Patience and practice.

As for the audio tones, for some reason they've done away with them in the D* branded recvrs, at least I have yet to be able to use one since.

No you don't need a signal meter, use the one in the recvr.

That said, I have never used a H25 yet.

So when you say use the signal meter in the receiver you mean the text that appears showing each transponder's signal strength? Or is there another way to fine tune the strength using the receiver? This is my first time trying to do this and I am pretty lost, thanks for the help

So when you say use the signal meter in the receiver you mean the text that appears showing each transponder's signal strength?

Yes !

Take your time, you'll find it.
If your mast is Plumb and you have a compass you'll be fine.
Have someone watch the TV inside while you adjust.

Take a tv and receiver out by the dish. Use the signal meter for maximum readings across the birds. Go slow and wait 15 seconds for the meter reading to stabilize before making another crank of the wrench. It's a piece of cake these pie plates.

Did you buy a power inserter for the SWM dish?

Adding that setting for the 101 satellite first will be EZ to find an initial point. Then switching to the 99 or 103 satellite and playing with individual transponders.

The transponders are aboard the satellite. The satellites are in orbit. The dish & equipment all move together so any change in one position affects all the others. Compromise with many high 80 transponders and more 90s.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.