All my recordings on my hopper disappeared

I plugged the EHD in and everything plays fine on it, which reinforces my belief that the whole problem was nothing but a software bug!

It's a real shame that it didn't clear up with a reboot like it did the first time.

Even if it WAS an actual hard drive problem, it's still INCREDIBLY poor programming to handle it this way! An fsck should've fixed it, and the DVR should've accepted the remaining files rather than wanting to reformat the drive.

Gotta be software. Why? Modern hard drives remap bad blocks automatically, up to a certain predetermined number. If it goes past that number, reformatting the drive won't do anything to fix the problem! So, it's either buggy programming, lazy programming, or most likely a combination of both!

Just had the disk failure again tonight. Even if it is a physical problem with the drive -- which I'm now willing to admit it might be, because every time it's happened the drive has been about the same percentage full -- I still stand by what I said before: it's INCREDIBLY and INEXCUSABLY bad engineering to NOT be able to recover from anything less than a total failure without reformatting! Not only that, but upon reformatting, bad blocks should be mapped out, but now I'm thinking that maybe they're not. And just what does the nightly fsck-upon-reboot do anyway? Detect errors, but not fix them?!

Reactions: KKlare
Had the same problem a month or so ago. Lost all my recordings but HWS seemed to recover but died completely a couple of weeks ago.
Got a replacement the next day but still lost all the recordings again which this time really sucked!
Now with the new HWS we go to use Dish Anywhere from our laptop and it does not work - something about the new software on the hopper causing problems.
Hope they get their act together soon!