All of you bashers of VOOM's bitrate - checkout this link

I just posted this in 2 other threads earlier today an no one noticed. :(

Dear Voom,

Do not use this as a model for YOUR HD, or say your HD is better than everyone else's now because guess what it's not.

Sincerely,

Dvlos

It looks like a temporary move until NLF Ticket finishes. Don't know if it means until sunday evening or until or after the superbowl.

Sean Mota said:
It looks like a temporary move until NLF Ticket finishes. Don't know if it means until sunday evening or until or after the superbowl.
In other words, D* screws up all subs that don't have ST. ;)

BTW, vurbano's signature reads "At what bitrate is HD no longer "high" definition?". According to D* the answer is:

HBO HD 13.9mb/s
Showtime HD 6.5mb/s
HDNet Movies 7.8mb/s

What correlation does that have with Voom? If the bitrate sucks, it sucks, regardless of who's doing it. Just because Joe jumps off a bridge doesn't make it right.

DarrellP said:
What correlation does that have with Voom? If the bitrate sucks, it sucks, regardless of who's doing it. Just because Joe jumps off a bridge doesn't make it right.
Amen, it would be a sad state of HDTV to have the best PQ because of the failures of D*. Our bitrate still sucks regardless of what others do.

Walter L. said:
In other words, D* screws up all subs that don't have ST. ;)

BTW, vurbano's signature reads "At what bitrate is HD no longer "high" definition?". According to D* the answer is:

HBO HD 13.9mb/s
Showtime HD 6.5mb/s
HDNet Movies 7.8mb/s
I suggest you wake up. Do you really think that is a permanent situation? BTW Vooms avg is only 12. And those numbers you have are probably instantaneous. TO use Vooms stat muxer excuse, " it depends on how much bandwidth it needs at the time"

vurbano said:
I suggest you wake up. Do you really think that is a permanent situation? BTW Vooms avg is only 12. And those numbers you have are probably instantaneous. TO use Vooms stat muxer excuse, " it depends on how much bandwidth it needs at the time"
I sleep every night and wake up every morning since I was born ;) Also, I'm old enough to know that nothing in life is permanent.
Going back to the D* PQ, it seems that it will last until NFL is over and they can free up the bandwith again.
BTW, I didn't mean any offense to you by mentioning your signature. It just seem funny to me that you ask a question and D* seems to have answered it.

vurbano said:

The last time it was between 12 - 16 average.

vurbano said:
at what second of the day is it 16? The last time? Certainly Voom has A number, one number a calculated average.

It could be at any second of the day. These are not fixed mbps but variable. It depends on the program showing on the channel.

And which channels, it certainly is not all HD channels. I could see up to 16 on Monsters, Rave, Ultra and Rush and Gallery & maybe Discovery HD.

DarrellP said:
And which channels, it certainly is not all HD channels. I could see up to 16 on Monsters, Rave, Ultra and Rush and Gallery & maybe Discovery HD.

There's no way to determine that. I can tell you that averages had been calculated and min avg is 12 and max has been 16.

If Sean Mota & Vurbano Ever Meet In Real Life I Bet The First Thing They Would Do Is Drop THeir Pants & See Who Is Bigger & Then See Who Can Pee Farther.

Sean Mota said:
There's no way to determine that. I can tell you that averages had been calculated and min avg is 12 and max has been 16.
I remember seeing a thread at AVS that confirms your numbers, I couldn't find it. Anybody saved the link?

I emailed Voom about their lack of bitrate and here's the response: Notice they imply ADDING channels and bringing us the MOST HD, nothing about improving the quality:

09/10/2004 04:17 PM
Thank you for choosing VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

We certainly apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We are scheduled to have the second VOOM satellite available sometime late this year or early next year. This satellite will provide us with additional capacity to continue to grow our programming lineup and to deliver on our promise of bringing you the most high definition entertainment and the best in television.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again. Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in HDTV!

Sxxxxx T.
VOOM Email Support

Vurbano,

Complain using your wallet and go ahead and cancel Voom. It sounds like you are at your breaking point with this bitrate "discussion" that is going nowhere.
Your posts have been pretty negative lately. Either enjoy Voom for where it's at today or move on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)