All SLINGS are not created equal! 922 vs PRO-HD The ultimate guide work in progress

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Absolutely that would be HUGE news....and would really help justifying that price. I'll be curious if Scott has any more to say on that subject. :)

If that is true, I would get 2 of them for sure!

Ok I have the Hava titanium box that I have been using and I am thinking about also getting a sling box. I Have the vip722 right now and I am out of contract. Would it be better to keep the 722 and get a slingbox pro HD? How would I be able to get a HD picture to either a.) my other TV's and b.) to a laptop away from home? What would I need also a sling catcher to the tvs? TO get the HD 1080i to the other tv's? From what I understand slingcatchers can not do HD.

Ok I understand the software for the laptop to get HD and watch it. But the sling catchers can not output in HD to the tv's right?

Last edited:
Why limit one's options to 922 or 722/622 with Sling HD Pro? Why not add one of these to a 722?
http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox-700u

Sure, it hasn't been released yet. But, neither has the 922 as a finished product. And, they will both use this at the TV2 end:
http://www.slingmedia.com/go/sling-receiver-300

Notice how the stand-alone Sling devices are at the bottom of this list?
http://www.slingmedia.com/go/hardware
That is because they are deliberately killing the Slingbox as a standalone product, and are just using the technology as a feature for their receivers. Expect the same thing to happen to Tivo, if they buy it.

Yes... full HD to TV2...

Here is how it will be done...

http://www.slingmedia.com/get/io_1262728720165.html

Essentially if I understand you, instead of 3 independent TV outputs, you get 2 TV outputs like the 722. Except now you have the ability to sling the output of TV2 if you buy a sling HD receiver. The sling HD content and the TV2 output (in SD) are the same.

It would be cheaper for more customers if they just put an HDMI output on TV2 if they can get 2 cat 6 lines between the two rooms (an HDMI cable).

If they get the USB sling box 700 working on the 722, you would not even need a 922.

Essentially if I understand you, instead of 3 independent TV outputs, you get 2 TV outputs like the 722. Except now you have the ability to sling the output of TV2 if you buy a sling HD receiver. The sling HD content and the TV2 output (in SD) are the same.

It would be cheaper for more customers if they just put an HDMI output on TV2 if they can get 2 cat 6 lines between the two rooms (an HDMI cable).

BINGO, we have a winner. :)

.....which is lame. The only way to TV2 in HD is via sling....which means you can't use the coolest feature....being able to watch shows remotely via sling.....at least not without disabling viewing in the room with the HD extender.

Yeah, come on...why not an extra HDMI port. Or why not output HD via the coax....there's got to be a way to do it via ASTC or QAM. If they did that, you could whole house HD and tune it in on your TVs HD Tuner.

I have no SD TVs. 2nd TV SD is worthless to me.

I want to sling to my Phone and my SlingCatcher externally.

Oh well, you can't have everything in life.

If the Slingcatcher is say $5 a month or less , this might make sense for new customers. Those of us that already have more than 1 DVR are probably not going to switch.

Last edited:
A much more valuable feature (for me anyway) would be the ability to swap recordings from one DVR to another over the home network. I seem to recall Scott saying recently that Dish is working on something like that too. I have two 622 receivers on my account, and if I could move a recording from one to the other without carrying it over on an EHD, I would be happy. Sling technology is cool and everything, but it isn't a good fit for every situation.

i thinki would like the idea of sling if i were not able to be home that much. i know if had that receiver and if i had to travel alot it would come in handy. and as said above its not for every situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)