ALL VOOM TO GO MPEG4 AUGUST 15th

I see your complaint.

This is an issue, just like Comcast going all digital that is going to piss off some, and make many happy. As the HD rollout continues along with the digital deadline some people are going to have to adapt or get left.

I have a question!

If Voom going to Mpeg-4 would theoretically provide 5-6 more National HD Channel bandwidth, how does that relate to local market bandwidth? Is there a difference since it is spotbeam?? Or am I just totally not getting it?!?!

Pretty much a different animal. Most HD locals are on spotbeams, except for the ones on 61.5 and 129. The Voom move, in theory, does nothing to open up for more locals, just nationals.

Yeah I think adding more local HD's is more getting local market contracts done so forth. Which many of the locals HD channels are in MPEG4.

The only negative that I see, and have seen for some time, is that it also forces anyone with the family pak to either ":mad:upgrade:mad: " to an AT package that they may not want in order to keep VOOM.

I have had the family pak for some time due to the channels in it; Boomerang, Discovery-science, Halmark-movie along with the old HD pak and Voom. I also have had a VIP211 for almost one year. HAve tried to change to $20 HD package, even e-mailed ceodish. Can not do it, again must go with an AT package.

While a lot of you feel this is a great move, all I see is a way for DISH to get more money from subscribers. I would really like to switch to the "new" $20 HD package, but to do so I have to loose SD channels that my family watches in the Family Package to some "lousy" AT package.

Again thanks alot DISH but no thanks from people who want the Family Package and HD.

I agree with JohnEL and that's why the HD package needs to be a stand alone package so it can be simply added to any package.

As far as the move to MPEG4, it's a great move that will allow E* to compete in the future. But like I said, the HD package needs to be a stand alone package and not force us to get some package just to get the HD channels.

And to add insult to this, I was told last March by Tec support at that time, that if I switched to a VIP 211 from my owned 811 then, that as the new HD channels came on line, I'd be able to receive them with the programming packages that I had-Family pack, old HD pak and Voom. NOT. I cannot receive them unless I upgrade to other programming!!!

I agree with you RandalIA, If HD package was stand alone addition or changed so those with the Family Package could add it, I would switch in a minute!

The markets are ever evolving and this causes heartburn for many. I agree that the hd pack should include ALL hd channels and be seperate(except for the pay channels like HBO).

Subs responsibility is to get a mpeg4 box or miss the bus.

Not saying its right, but I bought a HDTV and wanted the mpeg4 box for a specific reason. If they come out with mpeg 6( :) ) next year Ill buy that dvr because I want to keep up with the curve.

Scott,

Any word on what res Voom will go to?
Nope, however if you watch the Charlie Chat last night, Charlie was hinting to something I have also been hearing, and that is in the future the HD channels will be as they receive them.

I do expect to see full 1920 x 1080i in the future on Dish Network in MPEG4.

He did state several times that they give us what they get. Comcast says the same thing. Ive noticed many issues with ESPN during football season between games. I was told by a guy at Comcast(not a tech) that they see that too and feel its just the different cameras ESPN is using between games.

Ok hopefully I dont give away info I am not supposed to here.

I live next to someone who works for ESPN.

ESPN is not happy about their HD quality eaither. And it IS a problem on their end.

It seems as though the problem is many of its HD shows are being shot in 1080i and sent back to Bristol in 1080i, ESPN then takes the 1080i video and downconverts it to 720p. This conversion process seems to be killing the PQ.

I am hearing that ESPN is gearing up to move from 720p to 1080i for its broadcasts and this should end most of the poor HD quality we have been seeing.

Lets hope this is true. There is a vast difference between baseball shown on ESPN HD and the same game being shown on YES HD.

Yeah, Ive heard too that they had an issue on their end but never heard anymore about it.

You know something's wrong when you watch back to back football games and one looked great, then one looks horrible.

Hopefully they'll put up some 1080i football comparable to CBS's NFL coverage, because their NFL games look :eek: .

Scott since you are giving information away:p , any news or information as to what people like me with the family pack, who have 211's are to do when they switch the VOOM channels, or are we just SOL?

I am hearing that ESPN is gearing up to move from 720p to 1080i for its broadcasts and this should end most of the poor HD quality we have been seeing.

Wow!! This is huge news if it's true. I hope it is. I wonder how much that would muck up all of the providers systems??

I have heard from some Family Pack users that they were able to add the $20 HD pack to their lineup.

While it is not official policy I believe (and I am saying this) that if you want to give them $20 more a month to get the HD package then it is best for them and their shareholders to take the money. :)

I would suggest if you can't get it to email ceo@echostar.com and see what help you can get there.

Wow!! This is huge news if it's true. I hope it is. I wonder how much that would muck up all of the providers systems??
Again this is just a rumor. :)

But what I have heard is that they may do two versions of each channel one in 720p and 1080i and this will let the cable and satellite companies make the switch anchanes they need to do on their end. Eventually the 720p feed would go away.

Again this is just a rumor. :)

Here's a question about ESPN. Why the frack would a 720p network be filming in 1080i then downconverting? :shocked

Nevermind, Scott just answered my question.

Scott, I can try ceo again if you think that it would help. February 9th received back an email from them, here's what they responded (minus the name of the person);

John,
As of right now the minimum package with the new HD channels is the Top 100. I have sent an email to our promotions team to see if we are going to be including the Family Package and HD together in the future. Once I receive any information on this I will let you know. I apologize this can’t be done at this time but if you have any other questions please feel free to let me know.
Thank you
XXXXXXX
Executive Communications
Echostar Satellite LLC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts