ALL VOOM TO GO MPEG4 AUGUST 15th

Yeah I think adding more local HD's is more getting local market contracts done so forth. Which many of the locals HD channels are in MPEG4.

No, on Dish the issue is they're pretty much out of transponders to add any more local HD markets until their next round of satellite launches. (Unless their plan here is to free up two transponders to launch 4 local HD markets rather than all of the new HD coming online in September.)

Do you subscribe to HD? If yes then No on the $6 fees. If NO you dont subscribe to the HD channels then yes you will be charged the $6 HD enabling fee. (So you can use the OTA tuner)

OK, it's mostly academic for a few months as I am moving out while they renovate my house (and my three year old avatar will get replaced with my ACTUAL dream Media Room).

I was planning on upgrading to the 622 as I'm adding another HDTV (the Sony "Pearl" VWL-50 1080p projector -- I can hear hpman snickering at me buying a Sony), but I'm going on DishPause until the work is done, so I won't have to deal with things until October....

What is the window for the swaps to happen?

While I am not ready to move to cable just yet, lucky for me I paid only $49 with 18 month commitment for a 811 a couple of years ago. Now have a 211 leased. I feel sorry for those however who recently paid hundreds of dollars for other receivers-921, etc, only to have them be little more than "door stops" by the end of the year.

I give DISH money on a monthly basis for satelite service. That should pay for the service.

If they choose to change their systems, if they were to "upgrade" to say MPEG6, if they want me to subscribe to it, I believe it is their responsibility to provide a receiver that will get the service. Call me old fashioned, but I do not feel that it is fare or right for them to expect me to buy or give them more/additional monies for a "new" receiver so I can continue to pay to subscribe to their service.

"Call me old fashioned, but I do not feel that it is fare or right for them to expect me to buy or give them more/additional monies for a "new" receiver so I can continue to pay to subscribe to their service."

Specially when it seems that you have to upgrade to new hardware every couple of years.

I see cable as a company that gives me a good service, for a little higher price but does not upgrade equipment very often(which is why you can have a dvr from them for $11 a month).

I see satellite as a more technologically based provider that is always trying to offer a better product. Dish could just stick us with the 622 for 6-7 years until its completely outdated like Comcast has done, but I prefer to upgrade a DVR every 2 years like I do everything else.

Its just two ways of looking at it.

You also have to see that Dish offers the most HD and a ton of channels for a great price, better than cable most of the time. They have to make it up somewhere, unfortunately that somewhere is for new boxes, usb hdd fee's, etc...

Comcast will give it to you for free, but they will update it much less that D* or E* and they will charge you more monthly for less.

"Call me old fashioned, but I do not feel that it is fare or right for them to expect me to buy or give them more/additional monies for a "new" receiver so I can continue to pay to subscribe to their service."

Specially when it seems that you have to upgrade to new hardware every couple of years.

Once again, two ways of looking at it. I bought a 720p tv in Nov(had a EDTV plasma) and a BR player in March.

Ill buy a 1080p projector sometime in early 2009 probably(after I get a house) and the current gen BR player.

Technology is always changing, either you keep up or you dont.

I'm not so sure, really do not believe, that Comcast gives anyone anything for free. But like I said;

I give DISH money on a monthly basis for satelite service. That should pay for the service. If that does not cover the costs then they need to change what they charge for the service.

As others have said though, I agree that HD should be $20 separate fee for any package subscribed to.

Once again, two ways of looking at it. I bought a 720p tv in Nov(had a EDTV plasma) and a BR player in March.

Ill buy a 1080p projector sometime in early 2009 probably(after I get a house) and the current gen BR player.

Technology is always changing, either you keep up or you dont.

Agreed, technology keeps changing but you can still watch TV with your CRT TV, 720p Plasma or EDTV plasma or whatever TV you have. You're not being forced into a 1080p projector, it's your choice.

True, but dish is not forcing you into HD either, just like noone is forcing me to 1080p.

When they offer full mpeg4, they will still have mpeg2 simulcast for awhile

I agree with RandallA. People who have paided for HD receivers and for VOOM HD since it has been offered by DISH must now trade/lease - pay additional monies, in order to continue to subscribe to the current list of VOOM channels - OH I forgot, they promise to provide additional channels:p

This is like the chicken and the egg argument, both side shave good points. Its more personal preference than anything as to whats right.

I signed up for D*, paid $99 for a HR10250. 2 month's later I paid $150 for a HR20(because it was mpeg4) and that was last August.

Knowing where mpeg4 is headed I feel that people should be looking for deals and jumping on mpeg4 boxes asap. The 622 is going to be around for a long time and well worth the investment. But once again, its my 0.02.

"True, but dish is not forcing you into HD either"

I'm talking about people that already have the HD package (MPEG2 channels), they are being forced to update. Don't get me wrong I think it's a good move but it seems to me that you have to keep updating the hardware just to watch what you ALREADY can watch today.

I understand. I guess the only positive is that they will drop the price to $10 for the mpeg 2 people.

I think they know itll be incentive to pony up for a 622.

I can understand the frustration of those that have mpeg2 boxes. In a perfect world we should all be able to use the same equipment we purchased and receive the same programming. But let's look at it this way. Dish could have handled the situation one of four ways:

1. Move Voom channels to mpeg4 with an overlap for those that have mpeg2 receivers.
2. Not move Voom chanels to mpeg4 at all for fear of rocking the boat.
3. Move Voom channels to mpeg4 with no overlap and just cut mpeg2 people off immediatley.
4. Offer Voom in both mpeg2 and mpeg4 thus eating up more bandwidth.

I'm glad they decided on #1.

Agreed. I do understand about changing technology but after all this, there is no way I would advise anyone to buy any receiver. I was told when I bought a 811 that it was leading edge technology and would be around for years. Now the 622 is leading edge technology and will be around for years. Maybe or maybe not?

I do understand about changing technology but after all this, there is no way I would advise anyone to buy any receiver. I was told when I bought a 811 that it was leading edge technology and would be around for years. Now the 622 is leading edge technology and will be around for years. Maybe or maybe not?

Totally agree.

I just have difficulty with the idea that those who have spent a lot of money on hardware are being forced to pay additional money for the same programming or they will loose the monthly programming that they have been paying for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)