ALL VOOM TO GO MPEG4 AUGUST 15th

Okay, I own an 811 and subscribe to the HD Pack and Voom only ($14.99 a month). What is the impact on me? What's my new minimum package to get Voom?

If you stay with what you have you loose Voom and keep these for $9.99
• Discovery HD Theater
• ESPN HD
• HDNet
• HDNet Movies
• TNT HD
• HBO HD (if subscribes to HBO)
• Showtime HD (if subscribes to Showtime)
• Pay Per View in HD

If you take the free 622 you'll get all hd channels for $10 the first 10 mo's, then it goes to the normal $20.

Basically youll pay $5.01 more and get more hd channels plus have to sign an 18mo contract.

Yes, but he did say that terrestrial (sp?) stations may do that in the future. The current standards/FCC channel selections don't allow enough bandwidth for 1080p.

Actually, they do. But it's 1080 30p or 24p, not 60p. But no one broadcasts that way today.

FCC "Table 3"
ATSC DTV Formats (18)

Vert-lines....Pixels........Aspect Ratio........Picture Rate
...1080........1920..............16:9..........60I...30P...24P
....720........1280..............16:9..........60P...30P...24P
....480.........704..........16:9 & 4:3......60P...60I...30P...24P
....480.........640...............4:3...........60P...60I...30P...24P

Previously we had channels 2-83
In 2004 we had channels 2-69
After conversion, we will have channels 2-51

• Discovery HD Theater
• ESPN HD
• HDNet
• HDNet Movies
• TNT HD
• Pay Per View in HD

If you take the free 622 you'll get all hd channels for $10 the first 10 mo's, then it goes to the normal $20.

Basically youll pay $5.01 more and get more hd channels plus have to sign an 18mo contract.

He currently has a 811 so he would not qualify for the free 622. He would get a 211 for free or pay an upgrade fee to get the 622.

The problem that I have with this is that if I did not have a commitment and was waiting to see what happens at the end of the year with D*, E* and cable. Now I have to give up my channels or spend around $300 - $500 to keep my HD channels for a few months or commit to E* and then have to terminate their contract with fee to change providers .

You could look at this as either good or bad timing by E*.

I don't think from a corporate perspective it's bad timing. They WANT to lock you in so you don't do exactly what you're describing. They want you have you in their fold for 18 months so you don't go anywhere.

While the thought that Dish is doing this just to increase HD capacity is noble, I bet a major reason is to knock out the pirates. This will effectively render the easily hacked 6000, 811, 921 and 942 useless for HD for the most part.

While the thought that Dish is doing this just to increase HD capacity is noble, I bet a major reason is to knock out the pirates. This will effectively render the easily hacked 6000, 811, 921 and 942 useless for HD for the most part.

So the 622/mpeg4 boxes are less hackable?

GOOD! I hope you're right.

• Discovery HD Theater
• ESPN HD
• HDNet
• HDNet Movies
• TNT HD
• Pay Per View in HD

Yeah, this is what it seemed to say. This is a pretty good deal for me since I don't want any SD programming. My 811 was a free exchange from Dish for my old 5000 plus modulator. It seems like a really good time to skip the 211 and pay for the upgrade to the 622!

I think E* is offering a reasonable array of choices.

Let's take the example of someone with an 811. They have the following options:

A) Keep the 811 and HD Pack channels, lose VOOM and quit paying the $5/month for it.

B) Swap the 811 for a 211 at no charge, commit to buying 18 months of programming, pay $5 more a month for HD and get several additional HD channels.

C) Swap the 811 for a 622 for a low price, accept 18 month commitment.

D) Buy either a 211 or 622 to avoid commitment.

Effective February 1, 2007 - the first leased receiver fee for customers upgrading after that date under Dishn It Up is included in the package price (AT100/200/250 or DVR Advantage).

I had to email the ceo email address several times to get this done correctly, BTW - unless it has been corrected recently, the CSRs do not know this "new" policy.

Since the above announcement says the swap is under the Dishn It Up program, then if your new MPEG4 receiver is your first leased receiver then you should not be paying an extra $6 lease fee.

really?

everyone i've seen still seems to indicate that a receiver leased through dish'n it up is $6, they don't care if it's your only receiver or not

really?

everyone i've seen still seems to indicate that a receiver leased through dish'n it up is $6, they don't care if it's your only receiver or not

Yeah...I get hit for $6 "leased receiver fee" each month, apparently since it was not my first leased receiver (my 811 was my first, from when the account was first installed)...and therefore, it seems to me that the "free" 211 would result in another $6 "leased receiver fee" if I traded in the 811.

That is unless this means you get one "no fee" leased receiver per account, in which case the 211 would replace the 811 as the "no fee" lease on the account?

I have a 622 that I own and currently grandfathered into the old standalone HD $10 + $5 VOOM package (I pay $32/month with all the fees). I don't have any of the SD packages and don't want them. Does this mean they are going to force me into a SD package and charge me another $20 to keep my voom HD channels even if I'm all ready capable of receiving MPEG4?

no forcing, you'll just loosing the 10 voom channels and your bill will go down $5 if you dont do anything

Yes, but he did say that terrestrial (sp?) stations may do that in the future. The current standards/FCC channel selections don't allow enough bandwidth for 1080p.

Yes, they do.

1080p is spec'd in the ATSC standards at 24p and 30p. This is no more bandwidth than is required for 1080i60.

24p would be for film based content; 30p for video based content. It's then up to the display or decoder to manage the output from there.

Cheers,

From what Ive seen from providers, Id say if you did not want to pay to upgrade equipment every year or two, youd be better off with cable.

See, my feeling is this. The whole reason I subscribe is to watch TV. I really don't care if its Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4 or what sats they use, or any of that. I do want the DVR technology, so I am willing to pay extra for that. So for me, the bottom line is I subscribe to Dish so I can watch TV channels. Their job is to deliver those channels to me seamlessly without hassles. If they want to change their equipment, then they should be doing that on their dime. Much like the telephone in my house: I pay the phone company and I use my phone. Easy, simple, seamless. If I want to add features, I pay an additional fee, and they turn them on, and they work, but I don't have to pay to upgrade their equipment every year or two in order to make the same calls I've been making all along. If I want a new phone in a room that didn't have one, I would pay for that. If I wanted to upgrade to a cordless phone, I would pay for that. But I expect them to keep the phone service working without my having to upgrade every year or two.

Personally, I think we make it way too easy for companies like Dish. I have waited for a deal like this because I don't like the idea of paying to replace the receivers I have so that I can watch the product I am already paying for! I would prefer not to have the 18 month commitment (and am not thrilled about giving them a 942 that I own for a 622 that is a lease), but the item for item swap is probably good enough to get me to go with it. Just my 2 cents.

I have a 622 that I own and currently grandfathered into the old standalone HD $10 + $5 VOOM package (I pay $32/month with all the fees). I don't have any of the SD packages and don't want them. Does this mean they are going to force me into a SD package and charge me another $20 to keep my voom HD channels even if I'm all ready capable of receiving MPEG4?

OK I'll try this again. YES. It appears that this does mean that you will need to buy into some AT package in order to continue to recieve the HD channels that you have subscribed to for some time!:( That is my major complaint with this promo.

As others have said HD is not a stand alone package, you must subscribe to one of those SD AT packages inorder to continue to receive what you have been getting before.:mad: What a deal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)