All you wanted to know about DTV:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

oldguy1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
First, for the benefit of those new to HDTV, D*, and DTV here is a clarification of some of the fuzzy acronyms floating around:

D* is Directv
DTV is Digital Television
HDTV is High Definition TV which is the picture resolution broadcast over Digital Television (Be it D* or local DTV).
DMA is Direct Marketing Area, or your local stations
OTA is Off-the-air (local DTV broadcasts)
OTO or O&O(haven't figured this one out yet, I think it is a way of saying OTA)
LIL is another reference to OTA. I thinks it means Local in local. Don't ask me why.

It would be nice if members would use correspondence etiquette and spell out a term at least once at the beginning of their article instead of letting the masses of uninitiated scratch their heads trying to figure out the gobbledy-gook shorthand that is used in these forums. Would you like to see a message that read, "I got my D* in and LIL's instead of OTA or O&O for my DMA". LOL!

OK, I digressed: thanks to a FOX engineer, I think I understand what's going on with D* EPG's, local DTV EPG's and other local DTV problems. Thanks to Andrew Hornfeck, mjones73, and others on the AVS Forum for their interest and help:

If you have a D* (H)DTV receiver and you have it activated, all PSIP and EPG data (even for local DTV) comes from D*.

If you have a D* (H)DTV receiver that is deactivated BUT you have a dish type specified in the setup and you have told it what zip code to load the EPG for, the receiver uses the D* PSIP & EPG.

If you have a D* receiver that is deactivated and have a dish type specified with NO zip code, then the D* PSIP is used, no D* EPG is used, and the local EPG is ignored.

If you have a D* receiver that is deactivated AND specify no dish is installed, then the receiver uses the full local PSIP data, including the EPG (if the stations choose to fill it in).

The last item seems to be hit and miss. The local PBS stations seem to be best at filling in program descriptions for their EPG's, but even then are spotty. The local network affiliates seem to not provide program descripion. They just provide what is required by the FCC.

Also, it seems that D8 gets their PSIP info from a "service" . If the PSIP info directv sends down with their program guide has incorrect info then that can cause such problems as getting good video on local DTV stations but no audio.

It is a well known problem with some Samsung and RCA stb's. The finger pointing says the local station is supposed to supply the PSIP info to the "service" that puts together D* program guide and send it to D*. My local that I am having the problem with say's their info is correct, but I haven't been told whether they have supplied the "service" with the info that was updated in February. So, the problem could be anywhere.

The audio problem seems to be happening in more than one DMA, so I would suspect a fumbly fingered typist at the "service".

I hope you can all follow this. I got confused trying to write it down!

But, then again, us old guys have an excuse <grin>.

Before everyone jumps on you....there is a link on the top left of this page that
say's.... SatelliteGuys Glossary ...It contains a list of most of what you list(some of which
is wrong)

I am 99.99% surevof the following:

D* means DirecTV not DA*

O&O means owned and operated, as in your local affiliate is owned & operated by the network.

DMA means Designated Market Area of the affiliate that claims to be serving you.

OTA Over The Air, as in OTA antenna or OTA signal from your local affiliates.

LIL means Local Into Local, as in the retransmission of your local affiliate signals back into your DMA by the DBS provider.

I meant to add before: Tribune supplies D* with the EPG data.

In chat terms it most commonly means "If I Remember Correctly"

BUT ALSO

If I Really Care
If It Really Counts
Isn't It Really Cool
Inactive Item Review Code
Internet Information Research Center

and many others.

moonman said:
Before everyone jumps on you....there is a link on the top left of this page that
say's.... SatelliteGuys Glossary ...It contains a list of most of what you list(some of which
is wrong)

Thank you VERY much for pointing me to the glossary (I still had to look several times before I saw the link).

I wish more forums (and posters) would point to a glossary.

charper1 said:

D* means DirecTV not DA*

O&O means owned and operated, as in your local affiliate is owned & operated by the network.

DMA means Designated Market Area of the affiliate that claims to be serving you.

LIL means Local Into Local, as in the retransmission of your local affiliate signals back into your DMA by the DBS provider.

DA* was a typo. Thanks for catching it.

charper1 said:

D* means DirecTV not DA*

I'm not one to quibble over semantics, but even though I for years referred to OTA as Over the Air (being an old radio man), apparently the ATSC committee felt they had to change it to "Off the Air". I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it. Didn't make sense to me since off the air used to mean the station was down for some reason.

oldguy1 said:
It would be nice if members would use correspondence etiquette and spell out a term at least once at the beginning of their article instead of letting the masses of uninitiated scratch their heads trying to figure out the gobbledy-gook shorthand that is used in these forums. Would you like to see a message that read, "I got my D* in and LIL's instead of OTA or O&O for my DMA". LOL!
QUOTE]

Another funny thing is that you say it is aggravating when others start off by using acronyms without spelling the word out, but yet you go into your story spouting off acronyms of "PSIP", "EPG", "stb's", etc. and still do not give an explanation as to what they mean....:rolleyes:

jbcheshire said:
oldguy1 said:
QUOTE]

Another funny thing is that you say it is aggravating when others start off by using acronyms without spelling the word out, but yet you go into your story spouting off acronyms of "PSIP", "EPG", "stb's", etc. and still do not give an explanation as to what they mean....:rolleyes:

Ouch, you got me. Sorry.

oldguy1 said:
I'm not one to quibble over semantics, but even though I for years referred to OTA as Over the Air (being an old radio man), apparently the ATSC committee felt they had to change it to "Off the Air". I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it. Didn't make sense to me since off the air used to mean the station was down for some reason.

Ok, I found where the reference to OTA as "Off the air" came from. It was from ads for OTA antennas.

"Over the air" makes more sense to me.

Nothing like adding to the confusion.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)