Alright, I'll be the first to bitch

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Why not all 21 VOOM Channnels?

Why not add Starz HD, INHD's, Universal, or ESPN2 HD?

Thanks

Voom has to change the way they broadcast the channels, the two different companies were'nt using the same standards. So, give them time to tweak the first 10, and then once everything is settled with R*1, then expect the rest.

No, I believe they offered 10 for $5. Just wait till the next 11 come, and you get another $5 increase :) I'll bet you anything thats half the reason. The other reason I think is they want to put the other 11 up with mpeg-4, giving people incentive to upgrade their receivers. If they put them all up with mpeg-2, theres no way they could say "well, we are switching them to mpeg-4 now, so the channels you currently get will be going dark unless you upgrade". This way they can leave the original 10 as mpeg-2 until everyone transitions and save bandwidth on the next 11.

They probably are only carrying 10, because that's all the bandwidth dish wants to use. Remember sooner or later, Dish will own Rainbow and the transponders, and they have other plans for the remaining TPs, if they gave you all 21 now they'd have to take back 11 later, and people wouldn't like that.

However they could've done 12 channels, since 4 channels are only sitting 2 channels per TP

bdemz said:
Why not all 21 VOOM Channnels?

Why not add Starz HD, INHD's, Universal, or ESPN2 HD?

Thanks

Give them a break, my god they just added ten channels, sure are there some channels out there that could have been nice to have, sure, but give Dish a break at least they are heading in the right direction!

They probably only are carrying 10 channels for a few reasons:

1. It is 4 transponders (TPs) worth. If they do not get FCC approval for 61.5 TPs they probably have a fall back position for the 4 TPs (most likely move some of the internationals to 121 only and keep VOOM at 61.5/148).

2. The way they are running the TPs, 2 of them have 3 channels, 2 of them have 2 channels. This logically leaves space for 2 more HD additions in the near term like ESPN2 and Universal without committing more transponders.

3. They are also trying to get permission on satellites like 129 where they might want to move all the HD programming, and do not want to tie up too many transponders tied up on the wings during a transition period. When they moved HD last time, they mirrored it quite a while.

I suspect we will see a bunch more HD once the FCC rules on the R-1 sale and the use of 129 by Echostar. It makes good sense from E*'s point of view to try to pick up some of the VOOM momentum while they can and not commit too many resources to it until they get needed approvals from the government.

Yeah the new channels are great, my son hasn't left the tv with Rush tuned in on it. lol

I doubt they will move all the HD onto 129 because most of the east cost will have trouble seeing that one.

I think that in the very near future E* will add the remaining VOOM HD channels at no additional cost. All the VOOM will remain on 61.5 and once MPEG-4 is mainstream, they may take it to a more central satellite that is equipped for HD. I think things will be moving pretty good by September 05. Remember, HD takes up four time the bandwidth as compared to SD, and the market is still SD with a lot of international attention, plus DMA, etc. HD is growing, but slowly.

HokieEngineer said:
If they put them all up with mpeg-2, theres no way they could say "well, we are switching them to mpeg-4 now, so the channels you currently get will be going dark unless you upgrade".
Not totally true. When they switched to 8psk, they gave everyone adequate notice and said if you did not upgrade by a certain date, your receiver would not receive any HD. The old model 5000 had an adapter that enabled people to record HD and when 8psk went live, it went dead. They will probably do the same with MPEG-4 and since it won't be an overnight switch, they are probably reserving some bandwidth to fire up the MPEG-4 and keep the 8psk alive while making the switch.

boy921 said:
I think that in the very near future E* will add the remaining VOOM HD channels at no additional cost.

26 channels for a mere $5.00? How about at least an additional $10. I'm betting the 26 channels will be $15.00 plus the HD Package $10.00 = $25/month for HD.

If they increased the price to $25 people would cut their other programming just to have the increased HD. I believe that in the near future with new 411 being the entry model, we could see the addition of some HD channels to AT packs. Just a guess, but possible.

I would definitly cut my bill if $25.00

$15.00 for HD is all I am willing to pay. Any more increase and I will cut 1 or 2 movie packages.

boy921 said:
I think that in the very near future E* will add the remaining VOOM HD channels at no additional cost.
How much you wanna bet? I could use the money. (It'd be the easiest money I ever made.)

Dish doesn't do anything at no additional cost. They even charge you to downgrade service, or pay your bill over the phone.

Prevailing wisdom is that they will charge $9.99 or more for the full 21 channel package. (Unless a competitor adds them for substantially less. Then, they might be forced to match it.)

GaryPen said:
How much you wanna bet? I could use the money. (It'd be the easiest money I ever made.)

That's a no-brainier. They will charge whatever amount people are willing to pay and that still allows them to remain competitive. Basic business 101. Do you know a cable or satellite provider that doesn't follow this rule?

NightRyder

GaryPen said:

Dish doesn't do anything at no additional cost. They even charge you to downgrade service, or pay your bill over the phone.

Prevailing wisdom is that they will charge $9.99 or more for the full 21 channel package. (Unless a competitor adds them for substantially less. Then, they might be forced to match it.)
Time will tell. People are willing to pay the price of gas at the pumps, so they might charge more because they can.

GaryPen said:

What do you do at no additional cost, or anyone else for that matter ?
And I'm betting your not the first person in line volunteering free weekend's at work. ;)

NightRyder said:
That's a no-brainier. They will charge whatever amount people are willing to pay and that still allows them to remain competitive. Basic business 101. Do you know a cable or satellite provider that doesn't follow this rule?

NightRyder
Right. So, you should be arguing with the guy who said they will do it for nothing, not the guy who said they will charge for it. :rolleyes:

GaryPen said:
Right. So, you should be arguing with the guy who said they will do it for nothing, not the guy who said they will charge for it. :rolleyes:

Who's arguing? Must have me confused with someone else.

BTW: What's with the previous Herbert Hoover remark? Still not over the election huh? ;) :p

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)