Altice One Optimum prices?

Marcingak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
NJ
Anyone know how much they charge after the 24 month contract is up? The only info I could find online is that it's $64.99 for the first 12 months, $74.99 for months 13-24, and then it just says regular rates after 24 months.

Also, I'm looking at pictures of the remote and the button layout looks terrible. There is no Guide button and the record and info buttons are all the way at the bottom. Who designed this? lol

I started a thread in regard to the Altice One equipment, last year. It included my description of the service, that I had for just a few months. Hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

Altice One

Reactions: Marcingak
I started a thread in regard to the Altice One equipment, last year. It included my description of the service, that I had for just a few months. Hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

Altice One
I saw your topic last week when I was researching Altice One. How are you enjoying Verizon Fios?

I made the switch from DirecTV to Altice One yesterday. I was with DirecTV for 4 years and loved the service but it was just getting too expensive and they wouldn't give me any discounts. With Altice One I am paying about the same as I was with DirecTV but I get more channels plus Internet included. Picture quality seems about the same. I think DirecTV has a slight edge but I don't notice unless I am like 1 foot away from the screen. The Altice One remote is actually pretty cool. Voice commands work very well and I like that all the buttons light up. Not having a Guide button is very disappointing, though. They could have linked it to the left or down arrows, which don't seem to do anything. Or to the select button, which seems to have the same function as the info button. Instead, you have to press the Altice menu button, right arrow, and then Select. It's really annoying having to press 3 buttons in order to access the Guide. Having the record and info buttons on the bottom doesn't bother me as much as I initially thought it would.

The Altice One set top box is not as wide as the DirecTV Genie box but it's a little taller. I like that it has a Digital clock on it. I think the Genie uses a hard drive for storage while Altice One has some kind of solid state drive or SD card. I recorded 4 shows and my DVR is already 8% full. I think the Genie has way more storage space. The rewind, play/pause, and fast forward functions are not as smooth as on the Genie. I always end up fast forwarding too far while skipping commercials and then I have to rewind. Never had this issue with the Genie. Also, you can't access the Guide while watching something on the Altice One DVR. Another area where the Genie is better. Overall, I prefer the DirecTV Genie DVR. Aside from the DVR sluggishness everything else is very fast and responsive on the Altice One.

Reactions: Cobra611
Altice One may still be using MPEG2 compression (for broadest compatibility) and if so, recordings will consume storage faster.

Cable usually gets away with criminally tiny hard drives because their demand offerings are typically richer.

I saw your topic last week when I was researching Altice One. How are you enjoying Verizon Fios?

I made the switch from DirecTV to Altice One yesterday. I was with DirecTV for 4 years and loved the service but it was just getting too expensive and they wouldn't give me any discounts. With Altice One I am paying about the same as I was with DirecTV but I get more channels plus Internet included. Picture quality seems about the same. I think DirecTV has a slight edge but I don't notice unless I am like 1 foot away from the screen. The Altice One remote is actually pretty cool. Voice commands work very well and I like that all the buttons light up. Not having a Guide button is very disappointing, though. They could have linked it to the left or down arrows, which don't seem to do anything. Or to the select button, which seems to have the same function as the info button. Instead, you have to press the Altice menu button, right arrow, and then Select. It's really annoying having to press 3 buttons in order to access the Guide. Having the record and info buttons on the bottom doesn't bother me as much as I initially thought it would.

The Altice One set top box is not as wide as the DirecTV Genie box but it's a little taller. I like that it has a Digital clock on it. I think the Genie uses a hard drive for storage while Altice One has some kind of solid state drive or SD card. I recorded 4 shows and my DVR is already 8% full. I think the Genie has way more storage space. The rewind, play/pause, and fast forward functions are not as smooth as on the Genie. I always end up fast forwarding too far while skipping commercials and then I have to rewind. Never had this issue with the Genie. Also, you can't access the Guide while watching something on the Altice One DVR. Another area where the Genie is better. Overall, I prefer the DirecTV Genie DVR. Aside from the DVR sluggishness everything else is very fast and responsive on the Altice One.

I miss the fast forward feature on the Genie also, when you push play, it rewinds a short amount of time. Honestly, I am really enjoying FiOS. I've been with DirecTV, Optimum and FiOS over the last 14 years. The new FiOS TV One equipment is fantastic. Very similar remote to Altice One...but it actually does have a Guide button. I can scroll through the program guide (and DVR section) as fast as I want, and it doesn't bog down and it's not slow at all. I probably would have stayed with Altice One, but the software just had too many bugs. I didn't realize Verizon was going to release the new equipment, so I got lucky. Best of luck with your new service.

I think I figured out why the DVR is so sluggish and why the storage space is so low. Apparently, it's a cloud-based DVR, which means everything is stored on their servers rather than on your set top box.. Missing the DirecTV DVR a ton. It was way faster.

It's been 1 month already. I am getting more familiar with the channel numbers and stuff but I still feel like the DVR is very lacking. It's very slow and clunky. Sometimes I have to retry multiple times before the video will start playing.There is a button to skip forward 30 seconds (the average length of a commercial) so that helps a little. Not being able to browse the Guide while watching DVR content really annoys me. The DirecTV Genie DVR was way superior. Much faster, more storage space, and you could browse the guide while using it. Also, the remote completely froze up on me twice today. All the lights would stay on but it wouldn't respond to any button presses. I had to remove the batteries to reset it. If this keeps happening I will probably switch to Verizon FIOS since there is no contract with Optimum.

Reactions: Cobra611
I've been looking at my bill more closely and I noticed that after the promotional period ends in October they will start charging me $17.99 per month for the Cloud DVR service. That's on top of the $20 per month for the receiver fee. What a joke. They must be crazy. It should be free, especially for such a crappy service with low storage space and videos that refuse to play from time to time. On top of that the remote keeps constantly unpairing itself from the receiver. Looks like I will be switching to Verizon FIOS by the end of the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)