AM at low power

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
My favorite radio station, KWML AM 570 is about 60 miles away but at its daytime power of 5,000 watts I receive it quite well. However, for the past couple of weeks I believe they are leaving it at the nighttime power of 155 watts. I can just barely hear it. They have a 215 watt FM translator but I receive no signal from that. I have sent an email asking about the situation but am not surprised to get no reply.
My question is: can these AM stations that promote themselves as FM cut the AM power to save electricity? I suppose they have to leave the AM version on the air as the FM license is a translator but they only mention the AM version when legally required at the top of the hour.
If I must give up on KWML I need to research Sirius XM or some modern music source.

I should clarify: KWML is running at the same low power 24 hours a day. When the sun comes up I hear no sudden increase in reception.
When I was a kid in Florida I loved to listen to my radio at night. I could always pick up New Orleans, Chicago and sometimes New York City.

I should clarify: KWML is running at the same low power 24 hours a day.
I got twisted up in my comprehension of what you said.

The FM license (or even necessarily the callsign) don't come into play. In this case they are related as the FM station is a translator of the AM station.

You'll probably have to see if you can get a phone call into the engineer.

In the end, it may be simpler just to stream the feed through Tune-In or similar. I live eight miles from a similar station (oldies/Tesh) and I can't pick it up most days.

I go to Las Cruces quite often. I may just stop by KWML offices if this does not improve.
Yes, I am thinking about digital / wifi radio alternatives. If I have to resort to that I may as well listen to some stations further away. Tucson has a very professional Oldies station on 830 AM as well as Phoenix 1440.

If I have to resort to that I may as well listen to some stations further away.
Click or tap the following links for a direct stream to the two stations you mentioned.
KAZG 1440 AM Scottsdale, AZ
KDRI 830 AM Tucson, AZ

There are a lot of oldies stations streaming on the internet.
Oldies Radio Stations

I stream radio stations from all over the world from my phone to a Bluetooth speaker. My wife prefers a WiFi Internet radio with her favorite stations preset and a real volume control knob.

Reactions: N5XZS
I see the unanwered question as being whether any AM stations are obligated to any certain power levels to remain licensed. Many or most AM's that aren't on designated clear channels must reduce transmitting power at night because AM signals propagate much farther with the sun down, and would interfere with others if left at daytime power. They're obviously mandated to not exceed certain power at night, but are they gov't-mandated not to undershoot a certain power by day? As in so they're adequately serving a given community? Certainly advertisers would be keeping tabs on reach.

Reactions: N5XZS
I see the unanwered question as being whether any AM stations are obligated to any certain power levels to remain licensed.
It may be folly to assume that the station isn't broadcasting at its rated power. There may be other atmospheric issues in play.

I recommend you call them rather than dropping in as modern station engineers tend to cover more than one property.

For the past week KWML has been at full power both day and night. I suspect that AM stations have an automated system to turn the power down at sunset and up at sunrise. That may be "stuck". I see on radio-locator that the closest other 570 is in Dallas and that they only have to turn the power down to 2400 watts at night so hopefully they are not receiving interference from Las Cruces, NM.
I have also found that at night AM stations are received better from one's east than west due to the turning of the earth.
It works for me, I can listen to the radio while I do my early morning chores.