Am I a thief?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

donbrew

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
virginia
My old (owned) HR21-100 died of hard drive failure. D* replaced it under Protection Plan. So, since I own the thing, I put a new hard drive in it and hooked it up with the intention of if it worked I would just reactivate and use it. To my surprise it downloaded the new software and is happily receiving full programming. It does NOT show up in "My Equipment".
So, am I stealing service? Or, is it going to suddenly stop receiving after some grace period? I DO NOT what to be stealing.

You are going to jail! I am calling the FBI as I type this! Not really! lol Maybe someone else will give you a serious answer!

My old (owned) HR21-100 died of hard drive failure. D* replaced it under Protection Plan. So, since I own the thing, I put a new hard drive in it and hooked it up with the intention of if it worked I would just reactivate and use it. To my surprise it downloaded the new software and is happily receiving full programming. It does NOT show up in "My Equipment".
So, am I stealing service? Or, is it going to suddenly stop receiving after some grace period? I DO NOT what to be stealing.

Technically yes, you are stealing, but I doubt anyone is going to get up in arms about it. Besides, when Directv deactivates the dvr, it won't work anymore, which will probably be soon. You say you own it, how did you acquire it? Did you get it in exchange for an owned unit? Did Directv ask for it back?

Technically yes, you are stealing, but I doubt anyone is going to get up in arms about it. Besides, when Directv deactivates the dvr, it won't work anymore, which will probably be soon. You say you own it, how did you acquire it? Did you get it in exchange for an owned unit? Did Directv ask for it back?

I bought the hr21 (refurbished) from D* for $149, I think. They did ask for it back before I pointed out that ALL of my equipment is owned, then the CSR looked again and said "oh, never mind". I have found that they always assume leased until you tell them to look, I have returned at least one receiver before I understood that point. And along the same line, PP replacements seem to always be "refurbished" machines.

Actually, the US does not have a 'theft by finding' law (yes it is a real law in the UK). So technically it is NOT stealing. Just like if you move into a new house and find that the cable company never cut the line at the pole (or you have just cable modem service and they fail to install a video trap) and you can receive their service, you are not guilty of theft because you didn't climb the pole and monkey with it. You did not modify your equipment in any way that would constitute hacking, all you did was replace a failed part with an identical one. What happened is that the kill signal was only in the datastream for a short time after the receiver was deactivated. But those are rotated through regularly so it will eventually die on you.

He's NOT stealing as long as he has D* service on other recvrs, he should be paying for the Addl. recvr ( $ 5) yes, it really depends on how long he's had it off .... is it a case of he turned it off last week ? If so, it will work till the end of the pay period.

It has been off for at least one billing cycle, I do have a couple other activated recvrs that are not hooked up at this time.

He's NOT stealing as long as he has D* service on other recvrs, he should be paying for the Addl. recvr ( $ 5) yes, it really depends on how long he's had it off .... is it a case of he turned it off last week ? If so, it will work till the end of the pay period.

The $5/month is what I was referring to.

I bought the hr21 (refurbished) from D* for $149, I think. They did ask for it back before I pointed out that ALL of my equipment is owned, then the CSR looked again and said "oh, never mind". I have found that they always assume leased until you tell them to look, I have returned at least one receiver before I understood that point. And along the same line, PP replacements seem to always be "refurbished" machines.

Strange that you bought it from Directv as a refurb. Was it some sort of special deal?

I've seen that happen too. When I bought my R15 from a goodwill store it powered up and worked fine for about a day...then I got the "smart card expired" after a day

Strange that you bought it from Directv as a refurb. Was it some sort of special deal?
Yes, I called and bitched about new customers getting a better deal than long time customers, then customer retention got involved. They did not say that it would be a refurb. That is about the same time they were shipping new hr23's. No other arm twisting, I'm sure I could have done more.. I don't remember specifics, that was a couple of years ago. About to try again soon ! I figure one complaint call per year nets at least 6 months free HBO/SHO, or something.

I called to shut off the Starz/Showtime just before the free trial ended. I had the big TV & another receiver tuned to a Showtime channel when I called. The CSR confirmed they were off. I said it went blank on the H24, but still showing up on the HR24. She confirmed they were off. Starz/Showtime were still there 3 weeks later. I checked my account at the beginning of new billing cycle. No charge.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts