Am I blind - switch guide?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Buji

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
I looked around but could not find a guide/overview of how satellite switches work.

I'll be recieving a new hd-directivo next week (or so) and need to add it to the mix of my current configuration (sd-directivo, 2 regular recievers).

Any ideas?

You'll need a total of 6 outputs from the dish. If you have a tri-mode eliptical dish, it comes with 4 outputs. So you still need a multiswitch. A standard multiswitch won't work. Standard multiswitches operate by voltage applied. You need a multiswitch that also passes a 22kh tone.

Thanks Downy. I was pretty sure I needed a switch, and when I started looking into it, I realized that unlike the other aspects of DBS technology, I don't know very much about how the switches work, etc.

Still looking for an overview of how switches work (since they're not simple splitters)

Well, I called and asked DirecTV what switch I should use, and they said any 2x4 switch, so I went to radio shack and picked one up there. Even though the box clearly stated that it was for a dual LNB dish, the saleskid said it would work. I figured I could bring it back if it didn't work, and I took it home to try.

Well, as long as I stayed on SD channels, it seemed to work ok. If I tuned to an HD channel, I got a message from the hdtivo that it had 0 signal on reciever #2 etc.

So I called DirecTV again, and after relaying my problem history, was told that I just need 'any old 4x8'. I have my doubts about this.

PArt of the problem is that I already have two cables going to the living room, which are run through the walls, and I don't have a good method of running new cables to the living room without running surface cables outside, which I would SERIOUSLY like to avoid.

I guess part of the confusion comes from the fact that there is already a multiswitch of some kind in the dish; does this mean that I need a special downstream multiswitch?

I have a diagram which I will post momentarily which may help explain what I'm looking for.

Attachments

• switchquestion.jpg
    switchquestion.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 263
You need a powered 4x8 Multi-switch, as Downey stated above that has 22kHz switching for all signals to pass. The triple LNB has a built in Multi-switch and if you add a reg. Multi-switch ( thats not powered ) it will confuse it.( NOT WORK! )
Here is a link, http://www.starlink-dss.com/multiswitch.htm
You can find diagrams there, do a search for powered multi switch 4 x 8 there are bunch out there.
Hope this helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)