Am I losing signal using multiple coax extensions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dyl Mckee

Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
I am currently using 3 coax extensions to run 4 cables together to create 1 long 130ft cable for my antenna. Am I losing a decent amount of signal doing this, should I buy one 130ft cable instead and will I see an improvement with it? Also to mention, all the cables are dual shield so I'm probably going to get a quad shield 130ft cable if I do get a new cable. Also 3 of the cables are totally different brands, lol.

I am currently using 3 coax extensions to run 4 cables together to create 1 long 130ft cable for my antenna. Am I losing a decent amount of signal doing this, should I buy one 130ft cable instead and will I see an improvement with it? Also to mention, all the cables are dual shield so I'm probably going to get a quad shield 130ft cable if I do get a new cable. Also 3 of the cables are totally different brands, lol.
:welcome to Satelliteguys Dyl Mckee!
Each barrel connector adds about .5 db loss so you are losing about 1.5 db of signal. 130 ft of cable adds more loss. That could be significant depending upon how strong of a signal you are receiving at the antenna. A larger antenna may be helpful.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Dyl Mckee!
Each barrel connector adds about .5 db loss so you are losing about 1.5 db of signal. 130 ft of cable adds more loss. That could be significant depending upon how strong of a signal you are receiving at the antenna. A larger antenna may be helpful.
I am using a medium sized antenna, I get all the channels I want but one or two come in slightly pixelated at times and I'm wondering if switching to 1 long cable instead of 4 cables connected I'll see an improvement. Basically the shortest I can do is 125ft or maybe 100ft if I move my tuner.

I'm probably OCD about cutting cable. I've had installers pull cable through the wall plate instead of adding wall connector. I have loops of extra cable in the attic because I don't want to cut it in case I need to pull it to another room sometime (I have benefited from this a few times). The extra cable has never seem to hurt but I feel splicing would.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Anyone else find it ironic that this is in the "cord cutters" forum?

• Haha
Reactions: raoul5788
I just pulled all my old cable because it was copper coated wire and replacing it with solid copper quad shield. I feel 1 long cable is better than your connected cables.

I am currently using 3 coax extensions to run 4 cables together to create 1 long 130ft cable for my antenna. Am I losing a decent amount of signal doing this, should I buy one 130ft cable instead and will I see an improvement with it?
You are losing at least 6 dB for your UHF signals because of the long coax. You might need a preamp, but we would need more information, like a signal report. You can do one here:
RabbitEars.Info

Having one continuous length of coax would be more reliable.

You are losing at least 6 dB for your UHF signals because of the long coax. You might need a preamp, but we would need more information, like a signal report. You can do one here:
RabbitEars.Info

Having one continuous length of coax would be more reliable.
I am using a preamp since the cable run is so long.
Main channels I want
WTHR = I get great signal
WRTV = Slight pixilation at times
WXIN = Slight pixilation at times
WTTV = Very close so I get amazing reception

So yeah, both the channels I listed as slight pixilation are UHF.

Using one 10ft dual shield rg6, three dual shield 40ft, all connected using coaxial barrels

Your reception of WXIN and WRTV is already better than predicted by Rabbitears. In order to improve things you have a few options.

1. A bigger antenna
2. Find a better location for your existing antenna
3. Try a preamp with an extremely low noise figure (~1db)

You might also verify the exact location of your reception report to see why your reception seems better than predicted.

Reactions: navychop
I’d bet the best thing you can do is go with a bigger, better antenna. Maybe a rotor for fine tuning.

I am using a preamp since the cable run is so long.
Good. Your desired channels are fairly weak but WTIU is strong enough to cause overload with a preamp. If your antenna is aimed at your desired channels, that would make WTIU a little weaker.

What preamp are you using? What antenna are you using?
Thank you for then signal report. That would put you SW of the center of Bloomington, near Leonard Springs Nature Park.

Dyl MckeeSatGuysReportRE2.jpg

Main channels I want
WTHR = I get great signal
WRTV = Slight pixilation at times
WXIN = Slight pixilation at times
WTTV = Very close so I get amazing reception
You are behind a hill for WRTV and WXIN if the report is for your actual location.

Dyl McKeeSatGuysP3WXIN.jpg

Good. Your desired channels are fairly weak but WTIU is strong enough to cause overload with a preamp. If your antenna is aimed at your desired channels, that would make WTIU a little weaker.

What preamp are you using? What antenna are you using?

Thank you for then signal report. That would put you SW of the center of Bloomington, near Leonard Springs Nature Park.

View attachment 148581

You are behind a hill for WRTV and WXIN if the report is for your actual location.

View attachment 148583
Not really sure who to respond to but yeah I've bought like 4 antennas before learning I needed something bigger. I am using a
Winegard Platinum Series HD7694P

PBD HDTV Preamplifier, TV Antenna Amplifier Signal Booster, HD Digital VHF UHF Amplifier, with 4G LTE Filter

That chart is interesting, I know the farther signals are 2 edge so that makes sense. I must be in a sweet spot since the signals I get are great for the most part. I am getting 3 out 4 bar signals on all 4 channels usually. WXIN and WRTV get slight pixilation at times and go to 2 bar, the channel is mostly fully watchable but has slight break ups every so often during non clear days.

Yes the report is my exact location but not the exact location of my antenna, there's an entire row of giant trees past the field behind me so I tried to position it facing toward the least amount of trees possible. It's also weird how I get better signal pointing my antenna basically straight north instead of northeast where the towers are.

I do not care about WTIU, it's a crappy local channel I never watch ever. I only care about the main providers ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX. Which is WRTV, WTHR, WTTV, WXIN.

Ever since I bought this winegard I get amazing VHF signal!

Here is a signal report of the literal exact spot where my antenna is

You can see the channels turned to "poor" instead of "bad" it says WTHR is bad but that's the most reliable station I get. It's always 3 bars with my winegard which is a great VHF antenna I was told. (I used to not get WTHR at all with a smaller antenna, now I get it zero problems, I'm only having a slight and I mean slight problem with WRTV mainly).

I find it so odd when I point my antenna directly at the towers, the reception gets worse but when I face my antenna directly north basically like 3° I get much better reception for WXIN. Maybe there's a reflection of the signal that's stronger coming from the north idk.

Here is a signal report of the literal exact spot where my antenna is

Thank you for the new report. That location is about a mile away from the previous report.

I find it difficult to use an address with the rabbitears.info reports, so I use coordinates from Google maps.

I was able to figure out your exact address which is a few houses away from your second report. The signals look more like your description of reception here:
RabbitEars.Info

Dyl McKeeSatGuysReportTrueRE2.jpg

You can see the channels turned to "poor" instead of "bad" it says WTHR is bad but that's the most reliable station I get. It's always 3 bars with my winegard which is a great VHF antenna I was told.
Yes, the Winegard HD7694P is a good medium gain combo antenna for UHF and VHF-High. But, it's important to unfold the long VHF elements at the rear in the correct order for MAX gain. The new instructions are confusing; even Tyler the Antenna Man got it wrong. The VHF elements are a log periodic antenna and must alternate.

Another thing that helps is WTHR is a VHF channel. VHF signals can make it over rough terrain better than UHF signals.
I find it so odd when I point my antenna directly at the towers, the reception gets worse but when I face my antenna directly north basically like 3° I get much better reception for WXIN. Maybe there's a reflection of the signal that's stronger coming from the north idk.
I looked at the satellite view of your location. You have trees at the NE corner of your house which block the signals from the NE. When you aim your antenna north, you are able to pick up the signals coming around the west side of the trees.

I was tempted to post a satellite view of your house, but wouldn't do it without your permission.

The best thing you can do for better signal at your location is get more elevation.

Going from 15 ft agl to 35 ft agl your WTHR signal margin jumps from 1.65 to 9.18, which is significant.

Get you a 35' guyed telescoping mast and put it atop the shed where your antenna is now.

Attachments

• Dyl McKeeSatGuysCovWRTV_1.jpg
    Dyl McKeeSatGuysCovWRTV_1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Dyl McKeeSatGuysCovWTHR_1.jpg
    Dyl McKeeSatGuysCovWTHR_1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Dyl McKeeSatGuysCovWTTV_1.jpg
    Dyl McKeeSatGuysCovWTTV_1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Dyl McKeeSatGuysCovWXIN_1.jpg
    Dyl McKeeSatGuysCovWXIN_1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: Dyl Mckee
The best thing you can do for better signal at your location is get more elevation.

Going from 15 ft agl to 35 ft agl your WTHR signal margin jumps from 1.65 to 9.18, which is significant.

Get you a 35' guyed telescoping mast and put it atop the shed where your antenna is now.
WTHR I have no issues. That's the best signal I get along with WTTV which is much closer, never any breakups even during bad weather. It's just WXIN and WRTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)