Am I the only one who does not like NCAA Tournament Upsets?

HD, I have to ask this:

when your Buckeyes made it all the way to the title game in 2007, they almost lost in round 2 to Xavier if not for a miracle three.

All that hard work that Oden and the Thad Five did could have gone down the toilet to freaking Xavier.

Had Ron Lewis missed that three, you would have been pissed as I am- "We did all that work to lose to a team of muskateers?!"

I would've been upset, sure, but dramatic upsets happen all the time in the Tournament. I certainly wouldn't have been bitter or think that I was owed something because we had a great regular season. That's what the playoffs are for. That's why it's such an accomplishment to win the Tournament. If we're good enough to make it through the regular season and tournament, then it was meant to be. If not, then we weren't good enough.

Carolina's losses to Utah in the 98 FF and their loss to BC in 94 when we were #1 in the nation and had the FF in Charlotte are as painful as any I've seen.

Ah yes, the game where Duxbury's (my hometown :D) Billy Curley got the best of UNC's Eric Montross(who was later drafted by the Celtics) at the Cap Centre in DC !

BC went on to upset Bob Knight and Indiana (imagine that, Jim O'Brien bested Dean Smith and Knight in back-to-back games) in the regional semi's in Miami, but then lost to Florida in the Elite Eight.

Ah yes, the game where Duxbury's (my hometown :D) Billy Curley got the best of UNC's Eric Montross(who was later drafted by the Celtics) at the Cap Centre in DC !
That game pisses me off to this day. BC resorted to gooning to win. They knocked out Derrick Phelps on a breakaway in what was the cheapest play I've eve seen this side of Gerald Henderson's gooning of Tyler Hansbrough a couple of years ago. :mad: If I knew Carolina was going to lose that game because of that play, they should have at least had a bench clearing brawl and taken their revenge on the dirty BC players. Sometimes being classy doesn't pay off. :(

That game pisses me off to this day. BC resorted to gooning to win. They knocked out Derrick Phelps on a breakaway in what was the cheapest play I've eve seen this side of Gerald Henderson's gooning of Tyler Hansbrough a couple of years ago. :mad: If I knew Carolina was going to lose that game because of that play, they should have at least had a bench clearing brawl and taken their revenge on the dirty BC players. Sometimes being classy doesn't pay off. :(

The way I remember it, BC led almost the entire second half.

I don't mind seeing a few upsets but sometimes if they are too many it can hurt the integrity of the tournament. Most years have about the right amount of upsets to suit me. One of years mentioned when two 8 seeds made the final four did make for a lousy ending to the NCAA's. But really that doesn't happen too often. One day a 16 will beat a one. Maybe this year.

I don't mind seeing a few upsets but sometimes if they are too many it can hurt the integrity of the tournament.
How does it hurt the integrity of the tournament?
If anything, it shows the balance of skill in the NCAA, and highlights the need of having a tournament to decide the championship instead of a coronation (ala NCAA Football).

How does it hurt the integrity of the tournament?
If anything, it shows the balance of skill in the NCAA, and highlights the need of having a tournament to decide the championship instead of a coronation (ala NCAA Football).
I agree 100%

I know this isn't basketball, but whatever they called the college hockey league in the northeast region of the country thirty years ago didn't like upsets. One year, Boston University was the best team in the country but was upset in the quarters by Providence. Providence made it to the finals where they lost to BC. The league rules said that the league would be represented at what has come to be called the "frozen four" by the tournament winner and by one other team picked by a committee. The second representative was almost always the finals loser, but the reason for having the committee pick the second team is that it is possible that the team that won the tourney beat the second best team in the semis,'s so the only difference between a team losing in the semis versus losing in the finals to the same opponent was the bracketing. But that wasn't the casae here. BC beat Providence and Providence had beat BU

But because BU is BU, the committee determined that there would be a one game playoff between Providence and BU to determine who the second representative would be. BU won that game and went on to win the national title.

I know this isn't basketball, but whatever they called the college hockey league in the northeast region of the country thirty years ago didn't like upsets.

BU, BC, PC and others were part of the ECAC until 1983, when Hockey East was formed.

I have to disagree with you Sabres. Yes, upsets pretty much kill your pools and the games because of it could be boring or lose your interest but its MARCH MADNESS!!!

The best part of it is the conference tourneys, selection sunday and the games themselves. I mean I dont know what else to say:

In the words of David Puddy from Seinfeld when he painted his face: "LETS GET IT ON"!!!!

One was a bore-you-to-tears Big 10 team (Wisconsin), while the other was arguably one of the worst North Carolina teams ever in terms of record and overall performance that season.

Since you're living here, I'd advise you not to say that too loud.:) What's boring about winning? They could have run the floor with LSU or Arizona but would have lost by 40. Does that make any sense? If that Wisconsin team would have played somebody besides Michigan State in the semis, they would have been in the championship game. Where Michigan State would have beat them again. That Michigan State team was one great college basketball team. They could push the tempo or grind it out. And they won.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)