Am I the only one who does not like NCAA Tournament Upsets?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I may be one of the few people in this country who believe this, but I will come out and flat-out admit it:

I DON'T like all these upsets in the NCAA Tournament.

Yes, it can be great and all, but there are some instances when it leaves us with something not-so-great.

Take the year 2000, where TWO eighth-seeded teams made the Final Four.

One was a bore-you-to-tears Big 10 team (Wisconsin), while the other was arguably one of the worst North Carolina teams ever in terms of record and overall performance that season.

Honestly, it really infuriates me to see a team work so hard all year get beaten by some so-so team with nothing to gain.

Imagine if Missouri were to lose to Morehead State. No offense, Ramy, but I hate seeing so much hard work go down the drain in favor of one-hit-wonder mediocrity.

Bad example Sabres. Really bad example. I would choose George Mason's party crashing in 2006 to make your point, but that's just me.

So you would prefer a system where a body of work is judged over the results of a couple of weeks of tournament.

In other words, college football.

Honestly, it really infuriates me to see a team work so hard all year get beaten by some so-so team with nothing to gain.
Then don't slack off in the important games, and play down to your opponent's level. True champions win when it matters.

Some of those teams (North Carolina), might just be in a really tough conference (ACC) where the strength of schedule keeps their record from being as high.

This is the one thing that makes the tournament so exciting to watch, if nothing else it should give the teams that should win an incentive to do so.

I may be one of the few people in this country who believe this, but I will come out and flat-out admit it:

I don't understand your point here. Upsets happen all season long and when you open up a tournament to 65 teams, upsets are going to happen. IMO it's the upsets and almost upsets that make March Madness interesting to watch.

What would you propose to make the tournament better for you, start at the Final Four?? :confused:

Yes, it can be great and all, but there are some instances when it leaves us with something not-so-great.

One was a bore-you-to-tears Big 10 team (Wisconsin), while the other was arguably one of the worst North Carolina teams ever in terms of record and overall performance that season.

Imagine if Missouri were to lose to Morehead State. No offense, Ramy, but I hate seeing so much hard work go down the drain in favor of one-hit-wonder mediocrity.

Spoken like a true gambler...! We can now see WHO has the most money in the brackets! LMAO!

I like the upsets myself, makes for more exciting basketball, besides my Eagles wouldn't have made it otherwise. :D

You're right, you are the only one!

How could anyone NOT enjoy the ultimate dramatic experience and reality TV that is March Madness? This tournament is supposed to emphasize everything we love as fans!

64 teams have a chance at the ultimate prize in their sport. Each of them earned their way into the tournament with their play prior in the season. Come tourney time, each of those teams have just as much right to beat their opponent, whether an upset or not. The field of 64 is what makes it so exciting though. There is so much unpredictability. Anyone can win.

Seeing the Cinderella teams upset the big boys is the ultimate dramatic story. Seeing otherwise unnoticed teams gaining fame and credibility on the grandest of all stages is simply something you cannot replicate that in any other pro or college playoff system.

Viva March Madness!

Guess they didn't work hard enough.

You're right, you are the only one!

How could anyone NOT enjoy the ultimate dramatic experience and reality TV that is March Madness? This tournament is supposed to emphasize everything we love as fans!

64 teams have a chance at the ultimate prize in their sport. Each of them earned their way into the tournament with their play prior in the season. Come tourney time, each of those teams have just as much right to beat their opponent, whether an upset or not. The field of 64 is what makes it so exciting though. There is so much unpredictability. Anyone can win.

Seeing the Cinderella teams upset the big boys is the ultimate dramatic story. Seeing otherwise unnoticed teams gaining fame and credibility on the grandest of all stages is simply something you cannot replicate that in any other pro or college playoff system.

Viva March Madness!

BINGO, Matt! :up

And remember, just last year was the first time EVER that (4) #1 seeds all advanced to the Final 4. This year, we're due for a ton of upsets.

Go Opening Round Play-In winner!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts