WBC shocker.....The Netherlands eliminates the Dominicans!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I don't know how many are actually watching the World Baseball Classic, but this upset tonight is right up there with the US winning the gold in Lake Placid. The Netherlands beat the mighty Dominicans 2-1 in 11 innings. To put this upset into perspective.... EVERY SINGLE STARTER and MOST of the players on the the D.R. bench starts for a Major League team....on the Netherlands, the ONLY GUY that has gone past AAA is Randall Simon who has had played some with the Pirates and the Cubs.....THAT'S IT!!!

Here is the D.R.s roster, this team could win just about ANY division in the Majors:

Jose Reyes
Hanley Ramirez
Miguel Tejada
David Ortiz
Willie Aybar
Robinson Cano
Jose Batista
Jose Guillen
Willy Taveras
Johnny Cueto
Damaso Marte
Pedro Martinez
Edinson Volquez
Odalis Perez
Tony Pena
Miguel Olivo

Absolutely amazing....The played the D.R. TWICE and held that line-up to only 3 runs in 20 innings....this is CRAZY!

I don't know how many are actually watching the World Baseball Classic, but this upset tonight is right up there with the US winning the gold in Lake Placid. The Netherlands beat the mighty Dominicans 2-1 in 11 innings. To put this upset into perspective.... EVERY SINGLE STARTER and MOST of the players on the the D.R. bench starts for a Major League team....on the Netherlands, the ONLY GUY that has gone past AAA is Randall Simon who has had played some with the Pirates and the Cubs.....THAT'S IT!!!

Here is the D.R.s roster, this team could win just about ANY division in the Majors:

Jose Reyes
Hanley Ramirez
Miguel Tejada
David Ortiz
Willie Aybar
Robinson Cano
Jose Batista
Jose Guillen
Willy Taveras
Johnny Cueto
Damaso Marte
Pedro Martinez
Edinson Volquez
Odalis Perez
Tony Pena
Miguel Olivo

Absolutely amazing....The played the D.R. TWICE and held that line-up to only 3 runs in 20 innings....this is CRAZY!

Incredible to do it ONCE, but TWICE!!!! :eek: that's just mind-boggling.

I think you nailed the analogy on the head, salsa! :up

Absolutely HUGE!!!!

I guarantee you, baseball clubs are going to start scouting in Holland.

EVERY SINGLE pitcher on that roster will get a serious look. This team had a VERY strong Puerto Rico 1-0 through 8 innings the night before. They this 19 year old kid that is A ball.....JUST ABOVE ROOKIE BALL, that has had the Puerto Rican team AND the Dominican team not knowing when to swing, not swing or duck!

No offense, Salsa, but I did not pick the Dominicans to win the WBC, even had they beaten the Netherlands once. (I have Japan repeating)

No offense, Salsa, but I did not pick the Dominicans to win the WBC, even had they beaten the Netherlands once. (I have Japan repeating)

No offense taken because I am Puerto Rican, rooting for Puerto Rico but thinks it's down to US and Cuba.

I saw this VERY interesting stat from last nights' game.....

..TOTAL major league payroll for the D.R. team -----> $84 MILLION dollars
..TOTAL payroll of the ENTIRE Netherland team AND staff ----> $400,000
..TOTAL major league victories by the D.R. Team ------> 1,100+
..TOTAL major league victories by the Netherlands ---> 95..with 90 of them by Sidney Ponson!
..TOTAL major leaguers on the D.R. roster ---> 23
..TOTAL major leaguers either NOW or WERE major leaguers on the Netherlands ---> 2!!

The more I see this and read and look back on all the upsets of sports history, THIS is AS BIG if not BIGGER than US Hockey shocker in Lake Placid and the Russian Olympic basketball shocker over the US in 1972 in Munich.

Wow!

An $84 million roster loses to a $400,000 roster, not once, but twice!

If the WBC was held in higher regard by more of the world, this would be considered one of the greatest upsets and still will by many. Unfortunately, to most of Americans the WBC is a distant 2nd to the MLB.

Oh btw, will A-Rod somehow be blamed for this loss? Remember, he could've played for the Dominican. I wonder if he played, if the outcome would've been different?

Wow!

An $84 million roster loses to a $400,000 roster, not once, but twice!

If the WBC was held in higher regard by more of the world, this would be considered one of the greatest upsets and still will by many. Unfortunately, to most of Americans the WBC is a distant 2nd to the MLB.

Oh btw, will A-Rod somehow be blamed for this loss? Remember, he could've played for the Dominican. I wonder if he played, if the outcome would've been different?

Well...here I will push the envelope and state for the record, this is TRULY a "world series". It is not held very highly HERE....but I assure you that EVERYONE in the Dutch Netherlands and the Dominican Republic was glued to the TV last night. Remember also, this is only the 2nd time this have been played...the audience WILL grow.

Now as far as A-Rod not being there....well, think of it THIS way...I was at my neighbor's house watching the game, seeing he and his whole family is Dominican and ALL he does is brag about the Dominicans this and Dominicans that, when it comes to beisbol. He was in total shock THROUGHOUT the game and he kept mumbling to himself...."if Manny Ramirez was playing....this would have been over a LONG time ago!" ....LOL!! Can you believe that? Not even a mention of A-Rod!

Well...here I will push the envelope and state for the record, this is TRULY a "world series". It is not held very highly HERE....but I assure you that EVERYONE in the Dutch Netherlands and the Dominican Republic was glued to the TV last night. Remember also, this is only the 2nd time this have been played...the audience WILL grow.

Now as far as A-Rod not being there....well, think of it THIS way...I was at my neighbor's house watching the game, seeing he and his whole family is Dominican and ALL he does is brag about the Dominicans this and Dominicans that, when it comes to beisbol. He was in total shock THROUGHOUT the game and he kept mumbling to himself...."if Manny Ramirez was playing....this would have been over a LONG time ago!" ....LOL!! Can you believe that? Not even a mention of A-Rod!

That's right, I forgot about Manny! Why did he not play? Too selfish?

That's right, I forgot about Manny! Why did he not play? Too selfish?

I don't no. But he has never played on the National Team since he made the major league roster in Cleveland years ago. Not even participated in the Caribbean World Series in the past.

And I just read WHY they lost...

..."with the roster WE HAVE, we should have crushed the Netherland by ATLEAST 9-0!!" .....Dominican manager, Felipe Alou

Ah yes...nothing like bullentin board material....LMAO!

That is a shocker since the Netherlands only has 2 major league players that combined made around 400k last year.

I don't no. But he has never played on the National Team since he made the major league roster in Cleveland years ago. Not even participated in the Caribbean World Series in the past.

And I just read WHY they lost...

..."with the roster WE HAVE, we should have crushed the Netherland by ATLEAST 9-0!!" .....Dominican manager, Felipe Alou

Ah yes...nothing like bullentin board material....LMAO!

Well, this proves my point in why this game not being more renowned. You don't necisarily get the best players in the world to all participate. A lot of players and owners put precedence on their MLB club affiliation because of the mass amounts of money invested in their "day jobs".

But regardless, you're right, the Dutch beating you was still a major upset. Just one that I don't think will be remembered.

And btw, I don't know a lot about this World Baseball Classic as it's only in it's 2nd year of existence, but how is this different than the Olympics?

Isn't that the point of the Olympics? To assemble teams from around the world to compete for their countries? Why another separate tourney? Because it's annual, not every 4 years?

Am I the only one who does not like NCAA Tournament Upsets?

NHL on Versus HD shows HD feeds we don't get on NHL Center Ice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)