Am new here have a question??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

superman28301

Original poster
May 7, 2008
I have a pole in the back yard that stands bout 40" off the ground and 2 1/2 dia. and 28" away from my shed...was wondering what size dish would work..am thinking of a motorized dish fta ku band to start. am some what tech savvy. the post is concreted in the ground and inside the pole. very solid..may have been used for a primestar dish at one time but when i moved in no dish darn my luck:) here is a pic of the area i was thinking of putting a fta dish
Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• pole.jpg
    pole.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 182
it looks plumb and its about 45 degrees to clear the roof for a south view. i was wondering if the mount on a motorized dish be too small for the 2 1/2 diam. pipe. i dont want to buy something it not work out.

thank you...i live in NC and dont know anywhere they sell fta dishes and setups. i would to send away for this. i trying to learn everything i can before i buy. dish size, reciever, lnb type etc.

Check any of the satellite calculators for a list of birds.
Then, go to the top of your pole with the tool described below, and see if you have a clear line of sight to the middle and towards the end of the list.

Some calculators:
- TheList , at the top of this page
- GeoSatFinder
- etc.

ThisBUDsForYou and his soda straw inclinometer
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/122722-0-soda-straw-inclinometer-line-sight-pictures.html
Delta Charlie had some variation on the idea, too
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/146479-15-min-duct-tape-elevation-gauge.html

Gotta be 100% Plumb! Right on the money! Check to see after you mount the dish and motor! Also Primestars (If you use that dish it is heavy!), this sometimes gets new people with any style dish, and it did me!

Another FREE tip is doing not over tighten the dish or motor mounts on the pole! I did this when I first started and the pole bent in allowing about 3 degree throw out of the Clarke Belt Arc far east to far west. Took me along time to notice that the pole was bent for it was over 10 feet into the air (The Installation).

Make sure you have a clear LOS (Line Of Site). Remember here, in KU and offset dishes, the dish sees satellites 22 degrees above where they are pointed at! So if it looks like there are buildings, trees or other obstructions in the way, you still might be able to see the satellite you’re trying to get!

Our knowledgeable Moderator Iceberg has a great Facts & Installation Tips post that is informational and informative and is a must read!

If you have any other question or questions, pictures to share afterwards, you are welcome to share with any of us on the site on the Free To Air Discussion part here on the forums of The Satellite Guys! We will get you on the right track! You are defiantly in the right place for Everything Satellite! :)

Good luck with the set up and by all means keep us posted on the process!! :up

:welcome To The Satellite Guys!!

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Last edited:
Thank you very much. The Pole is not quite plumb. the bubble is off to the left a lil. but still in the 2 black lines. I have read alot in these forums and learned quite a bit. Does anyone know legit dealers of FTA equipment in NC. i have googled and found a couple that no longer sell them. Thanks again for all of your help

Thank you very much. The Pole is not quite plumb. the bubble is off to the left a lil. but still in the 2 black lines.

Wait a moment here, I'm not clear on something. Are you holding the level on top of the pipe and the bubble is off a little? That would just mean that the cut was not square to the pipe. What I do is hold the level up and down at four different places around the pipe and look at the bubble to see if the pipe is plumb. Try and get the bubble in the same place all around the pipe.

Wait a moment here, I'm not clear on something. Are you holding the level on top of the pipe and the bubble is off a little? That would just mean that the cut was not square to the pipe. What I do is hold the level up and down at four different places around the pipe and look at the bubble to see if the pipe is plumb. Try and get the bubble in the same place all around the pipe.

It is important to check for level after installing the motor as well. I check level on the motor bracket itself at this stage, since that is what counts. The pole can be off a little, but not the bracket.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)