AM21 Tuner Sensitivity?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gcd0865

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Hi All:

Just got my first HDTV (Sharp Aquos 94 Series), and in checking its internal over-the-air tuner while connected to an antenna, I noticed the following digital tuner sensitivity for several distant stations based on the set's signal strength meter (which fluctuates somewhat for each channel):

Below a 32-34 signal strength, the tv's tuner appears to not even sense a signal (the meter just reads 0).

When mostly in the 32-34 range, the meter will fluctuate (including jumping to/from 0 and above 32-34 as well), but no hint of a picture.

When mostly in the 35-39 range, the tv will display a freezing/pixelated picture.

Anything that stays above 40, clear picture with no freezing/pixelation.

There is little or no multipath from this antenna for analog signal counterparts, so multipath shouldn't be an issue. On the digital side, signals appear to be fairly stable (for my weakest distant channel that the tv can hold a picture for, the signal strength meter fluctuates up and down in the 40s).

Since I'm about to order DirecTv (including an AM21), I'm wondering how sensitive that tuner is on a relative basis. Not sure if different tuners share similar signal strength metering though, so perhaps a direct comparison isn't possible.

In any event, I'd appreciate any comments on expected AM21 sensitivity for distant digital channels. Thanks in advance...

Based on limited non-scientific testing, the tuner in my AM21 is better than the one in my HR20 my HDTVHomeRun networked dual tuner device. The tuner in my Vizio P42HDTV is slightly better, however. I doubt that strength number between different tuners can be compared, as different algorithms are probably used.

Is the AM21 a gen 6 tuner? Thats what it seems like. I got one of the zenith convertor box for my SD TV using one of those government coupons several days ago. It picks up a station that my Fusion HDTV 5 pci card and HR20 can not pickup.

Based on limited non-scientific testing, the tuner in my AM21 is better than the one in my HR20 my HDTVHomeRun networked dual tuner device. The tuner in my Vizio P42HDTV is slightly better, however. I doubt that strength number between different tuners can be compared, as different algorithms are probably used.

Also MUCH better than Dish's 622 integrated tuner. I now pull in 8 channels compared to 2 with the 622.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)