AM21..... why?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

smitbret

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
East Idaho
Since it doesn't add an additional tuner, what advantage do I have in adding an AM21 to an HR24 when the locals come in through D*, anyway? I have an OTA antenna I'm using with my E* setup, but when I switch in the next week or so, I don't see any reason to leave it up.

I think most people that keep OTA do so for 1 or 2 reasons (cause its not always about record-ability):

1. Emergencies

2. If you "see" two DMA, then you can potentailly set it up to receive both at the same time.

These are just my opinions.

main reason is the AM21 will load (in most cases) the subchannels that D* locals do not carry. As example here in Minneapolis we have TheCoolTV on a subchannel and ThisTV on another. I record some of the movies off ThisTV via the AM21

it depends on the market. But you are right, it doesnt add any additional tuners. That is one thing I wish it did (even one tuner would be nice)

2. If you "see" two DMA, then you can potentailly set it up to receive both at the same time.
yep. If you are in one DMA but can see another via OTA the AM21 can load both sets of locals in it

Basically what the above have said. I pull in two different markets with mine. Could pull in two more if it would allow me to SCAN......lol.

I still have my OTA Antennas up from my DishNetwork days and am in the middle of contemplating taking them down or ordering an AM21. The reason I'd want the AM21 is that the OTA signal is more reliable. I was at someone else's house so it really didn't effect me but my recording of the Super Bowl missed from about 6:52 in the third to about 0:58 in the fourth due to weather. I thought I could live with just doing Satellite until then as I'd never experienced a outage that long with DishNetwork in my 6 years with them... but then, I would have been watching that via OTA then too.

Emergencies is a good reason. Antenna will work even when snow or very heavy rain knocks out the satellite signal....
Just connect your OTA feed directly to your TV for emergencies. Why tie up a tuner? You can then record two shows and watch a live show OTA. You give up the option to record off the OTA feed, but the ability to view 3 live feeds may make up for it.

Just connect your OTA feed directly to your TV for emergencies. Why tie up a tuner? You can then record two shows and watch a live show OTA. You give up the option to record off the OTA feed, but the ability to view 3 live feeds may make up for it.

With a splitter, you don't have to make a choice between the two. You can record via OTA and use your TV's tuner to watch live so that's not really an 'either/or' type situation.

I have my OTA going directly to my TV. I didn't get the AM-21 precisely because it doesn't add a tuner. My locals are on satellite from D* and I get OTA through my antenna. The antenna feeds a distribution amp in the basement and actually goes to 3 TVs throughout the house. If you have a computer, you can get a USB tuner, connect your OTA to it, record programs on your computer, fire up Windows Media Server, and the HR24 will find the media server and you can watch the stuff you recorded. :)

I have a pair of HR24s on MRV so they're on my network. It's a pretty neat feature that I don't see a lot of people talking about.

I have an AM21, and I find it quite useful. Assuming you have decent antenna reception of over-the-air stations in your area, it provides HD reception for any local stations where DirecTV only provides them in SD via satellite, or doesn't provide them at all. It also serves as a backup reception means for local channels via antenna during storms where the satellite signal is temporarily lost; it allows for reception of stations from two adjacent cities (besides your home city channels provided over the satellite from DirecTV) if you have a good antenna on a rotor (such as for avoiding sports blackouts and network programming preemptions), and it also allows integration of all received over-the-air channels and subchannels directly into the on-screen guide.

gcd
while I agree with most of your post, There arent that many folks who would have 2 adjacent areas along with their locals unless really they "move".

and it also allows integration of all received over-the-air channels and subchannels directly into the on-screen guide.
unless the database is updated by Directv it does not show all the channels. I am missing one subchannel and a few low powered stations in my guide. I know others have too.

This is why the AM21 needs a scan option

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts