Am21

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
Just hooked mine up and was disappointed to find out that I can only record two programs total at once. I was hoping that like my dish I could do 2 sat and at least 1 OTA.

I have locals so other then PBS the AM21 does nothing for me. At least I didn't pay for it.

When rain fade does occur you can still watch your locals via OTA. This could be important if you're having a severe weather event which causes you to lose you satellite signal and you need to see your local channel to get weather updates.

Yes I understand all that but I was hoping for the ability to record 3 shows. Also, I continue to wonder why Direct didn't put an OTA in the HR21 instead of going through this trouble to deal with the AM21?

I sent my am21 back for the same reason only records 2, as for off air in rain out I use my kitchen tv w/antena and get my locals just fine not hd . d emailed me and said am21 had no warrenty so I wonder if ill get credit or if d will send it back.

I sent my am21 back for the same reason only records 2, as for off air in rain out I use my kitchen tv w/antena and get my locals just fine not hd . d emailed me and said am21 had no warrenty so I wonder if ill get credit or if d will send it back.

Mine was free so I guess I can ebay it. I get my locals OTA on my Dish 722. I was just planning for the future when I drop Dish.

Yes I understand all that but I was hoping for the ability to record 3 shows. Also, I continue to wonder why Direct didn't put an OTA in the HR21 instead of going through this trouble to deal with the AM21?

Cost. Many people don't need or want OTA. The price of the HR21 dropped from $299 to $199 and the AM21 is $50, so you are still ahead. The HR20 also only records two shows at a time.

It pretty much makes the HR21 into a HR20. Still only records 2 prgrams. Great for markets that don't have HD LiL yet.

Tuners are not the issue

The software on the hr-21 (hr-20) is what keeps you from recording more than 2 shows. So adding 2 more tuners to the HR-21 won't let you record anymore than when you had the original two. The HR-20 has four tuners and can record 2 shows at once. I don't recall them ever claiming that the am21 would do anything more than add the ability to get OTA channels into the HR-21.

I don't recall them ever claiming that the am21 would do anything more than add the ability to get OTA channels into the HR-21.
My thought exactly.

I'm still waiting for my AM21 that I ordered from D* 2 weeks ago to arrive. But I never expected it to do anything more than add the ability to receive OTA channels. I also fully understand the reason they pulled the tuner from the mass-produced units. Most of us on this forum are in the minority. The vast majority of customers would say "why would I want an antenna if I have satellite?" They decreased the cost of the unit, but came up with an option for those that still prefer the OTA capability.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts