Amazon Echo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
There is a battery powered version coming out on March 31st called the Amazon Tap too. Looks like you have to tap the top before you speak because an always listening device probably wouldn't last too long on battery power.

Amazon product ASIN B00VXS8E8S

It's a natural gating to the ordering, capping it at the number of Echos in circulation is all, for now. It's an Echo without the nicer speaker, it's standalone. The Echo doesn't process much itself, its 100% connected, voice processing aside from the wakeword isn't done on the device even.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm thinking limiting dot to echo owners just manages the demand while it is in its early release, then eventually it opens up. Of course, they don't want dot so powerful that people say I don't need echo. I know dot doesn't have the good speaker, but I guess we'll see in April what it is like. I'm looking forward to having it next to my bed.

Reactions: TheKrell
Echo gets heavy use in our home. DOT is on the way, going to use it on the patio, garage, bedroom etc with external speakers. (Echo does not use external speakers) The Tap is the only portable unit, portable meaning no electricity needed. I know why they did it but it may not be such a big seller because it is not voice activated. Theory is you will use it in situations where it will be within reach, more importantly batteries would drain faster if it had to listen all the time for your voice.

Set mine up. It's so dainty. Could have staged this photo better, but here's a size comparison. Like the Echo, it just works.

echodot.PNG

Does it use the Echo? Could it work without an Echo on the network?

None of the three models depends on the other.
Echo - Full speaker, voice activated or voice remote activated, heavier/larger electric must be connected to the internet. We ask it all kinds of questions, have it set lights etc, play radio stations or my Prime music etc.. etc.

Tap - Full speaker, not voice activated you must "tap" it then speak. A little smaller, battery operated, must be connected to the internet meant to be portable.

DOT - Smartphone sized speaker really meant for bedside voice but will play music when not attached to an external speaker, a very small unit but the only of the three that can connect to external speakers either hardwire or bluetooth. Electric only must be connected to the internet.
DOT is arriving tomorrow it may possibly be activated with the voice remote also I won't know till I get it, I am not getting a Tap but it too may possibly be voice remote activated.

There is a battery powered version coming out on March 31st called the Amazon Tap too. Looks like you have to tap the top before you speak because an always listening device probably wouldn't last too long on battery power.

Amazon product ASIN B00VXS8E8S
I ordered one to arrive on monday. I never got an echo, because a fixed speaker/assistant really held no value for me. I did however need a new bluetooth speaker for when I am outside in the summer, and the tap capabilities were a nice add on feature.
Who knows, I may be so impressed that an Echo follows as a later purchase.

I just want to say I did get a Echo today but unfortunately it's can't recognized mine voice, so it's a dud! for me and it a shame for people who talk like me that can't use this product!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)