"Amazon may enter tablet fray in second half of 2011"

It is the next step from cache servers (that are used widely by the Google network).
Not only link content is cached but complete pages are converted to HTML5 and fed back...

I don't think its success is a given. But the cheaper horsepower gets, the bigger this can be...

Diogen.

another comparison chart

kindle_fire_comparison_chart_use-only-this-one-5220696.jpg

Of course that chart only lists the base-line iPad, and does not mention the fact that you CAN get 3G and you CAN get more storage.

But as a LOW cost tablet, it is an interesting device.

Of course that chart only lists the base-line iPad, and does not mention the fact that you CAN get 3G and you CAN get more storage.

But as a LOW cost tablet, it is an interesting device.

this is also a 3g kindle, larger screen version ect
not all tabs are listed

another comparison chart
The PlayBook is $299 now.
And they missed the best overall tablet+keyboard package - Asus Transformer.

Looking at this chart, it would be safe to conclude, I think, that the price-shock
therapy Apple delivered to the tablet market 18 months ago has run its course.

Diogen.

Their new browser is supposedly faster because it will send its page request to Amazon, Amazon will compost the page and cache as much as possible and send it down to the tablet without the tablet having to follow all the links on the page by itself.

Doesn't the Opera mobile browser do something similar? Guessing it doest leverage as powerful a backend, but they preprocessed pages and fed them to your browser.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

An interesting editorial on the Fire: what it is, what it will do and why.
Editorial: The Kindle Fire, the iPad, and what tablets are good for | This is my next...

The Android underpinnings of the Amazon tablet are as important as BSD roots of OS X, i.e. not at all.
And it is hard to argue that it will be the ultimate "consumption" device...
The Kindle Fire isn’t the first serious iPad competitor because it can outdo the iPad —
it’ll compete with the iPad because it does far less.

Diogen.

Interesting that they think Amazon is going to kill off the rest of the tablet market, saving Apple the trouble.

If things in the tablet market keep going the way they are, Amazon wouldn't have to do anything to help kill off all but the iOS tablet market. The others aren't doing so good as a group, or individually for that matter.

lparsons21 said:
Here's an interesting take on the Fire and what it might mean in the tablet marketplace:

Kindle Fire promises to burn Android to the ground — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

An interesting quote from one of the comments:

4. This ain’t your daddy’s Android. This is Android in name only — except for the geeks who will root it, but they are a tiny minority. The Fire has none of Android’s touted benefits of freedom and openness. Amazon will be like Apple, and we know how geeks hate them some Apple, but watch them fall over backwards to praise Amazon for doing the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I've preordered one. Ideally, I'd love for them to release an iPad app for amazon digital content consumption. If that were to happen, I'd cancel my order and just use my iPad for everything.

I still may cancel my order for this. However, at this price point, it provides a much more workable device to take everywhere. By this I mean, the price point makes the risk of loss, damage or theft of the device less of a severe penalty than if the same were to happen to my iPad.

Then again, lack of a 3G connection may disrupt this device's usefulness on the go. Lots to still evaluate, but at least this way, I'm in line and can always cancel before it ships.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The thing is that Apple could cut its price quite a bit since they make money on the back end. Amazon is taking the game console approach and selling at a loss to get people to buy their content on the back end where they make money.

This is goign to squeeze all the other tablet makers that have to make profit on the device, since they do not have a back end.

mike123abc said:
The thing is that Apple could cut its price quite a bit since they make money on the back end. Amazon is taking the game console approach and selling at a loss to get people to buy their content on the back end where they make money.

This is goign to squeeze all the other tablet makers that have to make profit on the device, since they do not have a back end.

Just not seeing Apple lowering its prices much, but I see Amazon taking a big chunk out of the rest of the Android market. Particularly if their interface works and is smooth as... er... butter, or at least margarine.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

It's really funny to what length the "impartial analysts" will go to
develop scenarios where the tablet market doesn't repeat the smartphone one.

It all started with "there is no tablet market, only an iPad one". Somebody tell Amazon that.
I guess nobody did and they build one. It has fewer buttons and plugs than the iPad (i.e. no modding).
Tightly wrapped into its very own UI. Offering all the same services as iPad. And costing less than half.

But it is going to do real damage to Android tablet aspirations! Huh...?

Where we stand now Apple has about 75%+ market share with Android (mostly) the rest.
I don't think a rocket science degree is needed to claim that tablet market is about to dramatically expand.
Primarily because of the Fire. But who will buy them? People that were just about ready to get a Galaxy Tab?
Why?

What does the Fire do that consumers were looking for in Android because iPad didn't do it?
Nothing!

What can happen is
- Fire doubles the tablet market and takes most of it (the expansion)
- Android can't adjust and sells about the same number of tablets
- The market share split ends up 45/45/10 or something (Apple/Amazon/Android).

But looking at how fast tablet manufacturers reacted to the Fire introduction (price drops)
I don't see the generic Android market being caught pants down as a likely scenario.

Diogen.

It's really funny to what length the "impartial analysts" will go to
develop scenarios where the tablet market doesn't repeat the smartphone one.

It all started with "there is no tablet market, only an iPad one". Somebody tell Amazon that.
I guess nobody did and they build one. It has fewer buttons and plugs than the iPad (i.e. no modding).
Tightly wrapped into its very own UI. Offering all the same services as iPad. And costing less than half.

But it is going to do real damage to Android tablet aspirations! Huh...?

Where we stand now Apple has about 75%+ market share with Android (mostly) the rest.
I don't think a rocket science degree is needed to claim that tablet market is about to dramatically expand.
Primarily because of the Fire. But who will buy them? People that were just about ready to get a Galaxy Tab?
Why?

What does the Fire do that consumers were looking for in Android because iPad didn't do it?
Nothing!

What can happen is
- Fire doubles the tablet market and takes most of it (the expansion)
- Android can't adjust and sells about the same number of tablets
- The market share split ends up 45/45/10 or something (Apple/Amazon/Android).

But looking at how fast tablet manufacturers reacted to the Fire introduction (price drops)
I don't see the generic Android market being caught pants down as a likely scenario.

Diogen.

I think it is more along the lines of what can you do with it? Same reason why linux netbooks never took off. People want to see a long list of things they can do with it, requiring a healthy back end (i.e. app store, music store, etc). The phone market is different since people view making phone calls & texting as the primary use. They get the added bonus of surfing the web and playing angry birds. So, having an iPhone was not a high priority. The tablet market is different since customers want to see all the wiz bang things they can do with the tablet. Apple and now Amazon have a great story to tell with all you can do with your tablets. The other manufacturers say well you can surf the web and explore some app stores.

Notice every iPad commercial is showing something you can do with the iPad. Not here is a device that lets you surf the web and is less bulky than a netbook.

I understand the idea. It is just as good as any other, maybe better.

But the tablet market (as re-defined by Apple) is 18 months old.
Some of those questions have been answered.

Why do people buy Android tablets?
Because they want to do something that the iPad doesn't allow, most likely. Transfer files without Dropbox antics, for example. Tether not only where and when allowed, etc. If Android didn't do anything iPad can't - it wouldn't sell. At all. Because the price is about the same.
What the price can do we've seen with the TouchPad firesale.

What does the Fire change?
Most used Android app is Maps/Navigation. Fire doesn't have it. Can it do anything else that iPad can't but Android can? Haven't heard about them. Heck, it probably won't allow even the Dropbox antics!

Now, why would Fire affect the generic Android market, no matter how small?
I can see it double the tablet installed base (affordability). I can see them take away customers from iPad (same reason).
I can see them creating a whole new market of users doing nothing but books, songs, movies and web browsing on the go.
But unless people will get so excited, they will forget what they actually wanted,
I can't see them denting the IceCreamSandwich tablet market...

Diogen.

Last edited:
If it can be rooted with custom roms, the Android geek community will buy it like hotcakes. Unfortunately, the Android Greek portion of the community is fairly small compared to the overall market.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)