"Amazon may enter tablet fray in second half of 2011"

If it can be rooted with custom roms, the Android geek community will buy it like hotcakes.
Considering the Fire is a Nook clone with twice the MHz, this statement will be true under two conditions:
-it is just as simple to mod as the Nook
-the Nook 2 (expected soon) isn't a better "geek" value.

Neither is likely to be true.

Diogen.

Why is access to dropbox antics? Because you don't like the iPad's lack of the ability to mount the drive? Or some horrific aversion to syncing with itunes, even though with iOS5 you can do that wirelessly??

The near ubiquitous support for dropbox on most of the apps I use is extremely convenient. I don't use the iPad primarily as a toy; I use it as a work tool, and dropbox works great. Indeed, when I had a Tab, the way I transferred files was usually through dropbox.

Its only an "antic" if you are pre-disposed to dislike anything Apple does.

Its only an "antic" if you are pre-disposed to dislike anything Apple does.
No.
Because since the advent of the floppy drive being able to transfer files
between gadget A and B without an intermediary became the norm.
Even more so, after the USB was born.

And, again, I like some of their hardware.
Just not the sales pitch. And the pitchers...:)

Diogen.

Unfortunately, the Android Greek portion of the community is fairly small compared to the overall market.
Geek - definitely, Greek - even more so...:D

But just like there is a price point when the gadget is bought without thinking
twice (e.g. $99 TouchPads), so is the modding complexity/risk, I believe.

I modded close to a dozen Nooks. And that's in Canada, where it is not sold.
The last 5-6 took about 15 minutes each, 10 minutes of those - waiting for completion.

With the risk literally zero, this can have an effect comparable to $99 TouchPads sales...

Diogen.

No.
Because since the advent of the floppy drive being able to transfer files
between gadget A and B without an intermediary became the norm.
Even more so, after the USB was born.

And, again, I like some of their hardware.
Just not the sales pitch. And the pitchers...:)

Diogen.

the norm has changed.

That is the pitch that I don't like...:D

Diogen.

Welcome to the 21st century I guess. Electronically distributed software, no external drives, life in the cloud. Its where we are headed, and its NOT just Cupertino pushing it. Heck, the Amazon Fire is even more cloud driven. :)

I'm all for the 21st century and stuff.
Why not allow gadget A talk to gadget B wirelessly without intermediaries?

DIogen.

Agreed. Give it time.

The first step for Apple was cloud backup and wifi sync with itunes, its a step. Indeed, a nice one. Heck, my iPad backups to iCloud every morning while I'm sleeping.

I think you are right; it is competing with iPad and NOT generic Android. I think to go head to head though, a 10" tablet would have been nice. Yes, Fire can do the Conde Nast magazines on a 7" screen, but having been in that world, I'll take magazines on 10" any day.

The interesting thing with Fire is that its less of a "Kindle" than it is a media-center tablet.

I don't think there is any doubt (and rumors put it on spring 2012) that Amazon will release a 10" version.
The only prerequisite - success of the Fire. And that today is taken almost as a given.

The only difference between Amazon and other tablet makers - Amazon can
afford to run it as a razor-and-blade business more than anybody else.

Kicking some competitors off the track in this race is gravy...

Diogen.

I think the Asus product where they showed the phone plugging into the table will be an interesting option as well. Asus showed this, don't recall the name right now.

Complete fork, PlayBook-looking, all Amazon services integrated, no camera, hardware unknown, no Google apps, etc.
The last means it won't have any effect on Android activations.
Maybe not.
Kindle Fire Cracked Wide Open–Let the Development Begin! | xda-developers

Looks like the Fire has a shot at taking over Nook Color as the hackers' dream toy.
And every time Google apps are installed it counts as an Android activation, increasing the 550,000+/day it does now...

PlayBook drops to $199, too.

Diogen.

I bought the Fire a few days back. Will be sending it back Monday. Got it as a reader. Display is nice. The software is slow, clunky, non responsive at times.
One thing I did like was changing fonts size on the books and sometime magazines. I am not a Apple fanboy but I am a fan of superior tech. $199 is still a lot for the Fire IMO. I have the original iPad. I will now be waiting for the iPad 3.

I read the same reviews of lagginess. Figured I would stick with what works.
I dont care what hacks might be out there, if it doesnt work, I dont want it.
Maybe that will change.

I dont care what hacks might be out there, if it doesnt work, I dont want it.
I dont care about closed ecosystems like Amazon and Apple.
If it works as a generic Android tablet and is $199 it will replace the Nook.

If the PlayBook doesnt do it before that: same price, better specs.
And available in Canada... :)

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)