Amazon Prime Video

Amazon prime video puts Netflix 4K HDR stuff to shame, amazon doesn’t compress videos like Netflix.

Reactions: KE4EST
If surround sound isn't supported, it is kind of a hollow victory. After all, many ATVs are connected to some manner of sound system.
I watched Man in the High Castle on the app on my Apple TV 4k and seems to be getting DD5.1. At least my Denon receiver showed I was getting sound through all five speakers and I was hearing sounds through them all.

I watched Man in the High Castle on the app on my Apple TV 4k and seems to be getting DD5.1. At least my Denon receiver showed I was getting sound through all five speakers and I was hearing sounds through them all.
There are conflicting reports all over and lots of finger pointing from all sides. Amazon's support page says that 5.1 is "coming soon". On December 6th, an Amazon support person posted in their support forum that they're "actively working on" a solution but hasn't responded to requests for a follow-up.

It was noted later in the thread that there had been an update to the app so maybe they figured it out (or not). One person speculated that the fix was to prevent the DD5.1 icon from showing up in the UI.

I watched "Star Trek: Beyond" on my home theater setup with the Apple TV 4K and there was no 5.1, just PCM. I had trouble even trying to get a reasonable surround sound from the Yamaha DSP. If they fixed the Amazon Prime Video App with DD 5.1, that would be wonderful.

I was watching a show on the ABC app last night when I got an announcement that one of my favorite sports teams was playing. Actually, it was two as the Prime Video app had the NFL Network Thursday Night Game between Denver and Indianapolis. However, the video blacked out for a half second every 5-10 seconds, so I switched over to the Dish and watched it like a Neanderthal...

However, the video blacked out for a half second every 5-10 seconds, so I switched over to the Dish and watched it like a Neanderthal...
In your case, it sounds like the ATV is the heavy club and DISH may well be the precision instrument. Maybe you have the references reversed?

Amazon Prime Video on AppleTV is the new kid on the block, while Dish Network has been around long enough to be able to legally drink in my state. I did not try to use Drive Video to stream the game afterward to see if it went away. I was more interested in the game play than proving new technology works.

$36 a year to skip ads, seems like a no brainer.

One question, this is for Amazon Prime programming, ie stuff that you get by paying for Prime, not movies or shows you "own" digitally?

One question, this is for Amazon Prime programming, ie stuff that you get by paying for Prime, not movies or shows you "own" digitally?
Presumably only for content you don't "own."

Just the Prime programming like The Boys, Jack Reacher, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, etc.

Reactions: Yespage
That works for me. Prime Photos is also huge. So and $36, fine, just don't splurge on sports. Gonna make The Expanse or Good Omens, fine, but don't make me pay extra for overpaid sports. You can get sports, just don't ESPN it.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
That works for me. Prime Photos is also huge. So and $36, fine, just don't splurge on sports. Gonna make The Expanse or Good Omens, fine, but don't make me pay extra for overpaid sports. You can get sports, just don't ESPN it.
I agree, but both Amazon and Apple have major interest in the NBA, whose deal is up in 2 years with ESPN/ABC and Warner, neither of which can afford what the NBA is looking for $5-6 Billion.

Up from $2 Billion with the current agreement.

• Sad
Reactions: navychop
While Apple and Amazon can afford it, when one says Disney can't afford something, there is a problem with the price. Might be time to quit and just sell it to everyone if the number works in aggregate.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and ncted