Amazon streaming issues

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Why does Amazon have so much trouble with audio lag as compared to Netflix?

If your device is a Roku, it's a known issue, discussed recently in a couple of threads in this forum.

It is a Roku Ultra and I tried to watch a couple of episodes of Star Trek:Enterprise. I've had problems like this with other programs such as StarGate:Atlantis. There have been TV series with out of sequence episodes also. I guess I'll just have to live with it since I'm unsubscribing to Netflix tomorrow.

It may be a known issue, but it seems that nobody has bothered to pin it down to particular Roku models. Not all Rokus suffer the audio lag problem.

Some have noted that the problem happens with only ARC audio so that adds another dimension of confusion.

There are certainly a lot of variables to consider: is Roku connect to a TV, soundbar, or AVR? What are the Roku's audio output settings? I honestly didn't have any problems until relatively recently on either of my two Rokus (a 2016 Ultra and Premiere+), both connected to AVRs (one via optical the other via HDMI). But when someone posted about the issue a few weeks back, I checked (I don't regularly watch stuff on Prime) and both were out of whack, though my PS4 exhibited no audio lag.

I'm not sure that it's an issue with the Roku since I selected Highlander immediately after Star Trek and had no problem with Highlander.

Perhaps the lag is only a problem with surround-enabled titles and not with stereo. Highlander was mastered in Dolby Stereo whereas ST:Enterprise was mastered in Dolby Digital.

Now that I think about it, ST:Enterprise on broadcast TV featured surround sound but the Amazon Prime version may be limited to stereo.

No audio lag issues on my 4 different Rokus with 4 different audio setups.

Ultra (4661)- ARC to Sony Soundbar
Stick+(3810) - ARC to Samsung Soundbar
Premier+ (4630) - TV Speakers
Stick (3800) - S/PDIF from TV to Sony AVR

We watch a lot of Prime content from different origins.

EDIT - Added model numbers

Last edited:
All Rokus have a four digit model number and any of these reports should feature those model numbers.

There have been three model numbers for Roku Ultras: 4640, 4660 and 4661.

Just ran a test on 3-Roku devices: Premier+, Roku 4, Roku Streaming Stick 3800R all have lip sync issues on Amazon Video going through Denon AVR model X3200W using Dolby 5.1 material. I didn't test stereo-only material.

I also ran test directly through TV speakers using Roku Streaming Stick 3800R, and Premier+ with no noticeable issue. Skipped testing Roku 4.

So my findings non-AVR TV speakers no noticeable issues, AVR yes with the Roku4 being off the most.

I'll just add Amazon streaming on my Fire TV Stick and directly from the app on my Smart TV is nearly flawless. I don't see it as being an Amazon problem. That includes streaming in 4K HDR. That is the case going through my amp system or not. (One room goes through my amp system the other does not)

No lipsync issue going through Denon AVR using FireTV, Nivida Shield or Sony TV's Android 7 UI with Amazon Video. The only common problem seems to be the Roku devices going through the AVR.
However, the Roku's don't display lipsync issues with other services going through the same AVR so not sure what the answer is.

All Rokus have a four digit model number and any of these reports should feature those model numbers.

There have been three model numbers for Roku Ultras: 4640, 4660 and 4661.

Good point. I added the model numbers to my post.

TCL P607 P series Arc to a Onkyo TX-NR787, never a problem on any streaming service.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

My Ultra is a 4660RW and it's connected via HDMI to a Vizio D24hn-E1 using external speakers (Altec Lansing series 5100).

My Ultra is a 4660RW and it's connected via HDMI to a Vizio D24hn-E1 using external speakers (Altec Lansing series 5100).
Because the system is using simulated surround sound as opposed to digital surround, it is hard to guess what's going on. If you're doubling down and piping DTS:TruSurround (basically SRS) into the Altec's own simulated surround, there could be some very interesting results.

That some work fine and others don't is puzzling but there may be too many variables here to break down. If surround processing is engaged, it may be introducing a delay.

Some have reported that the delay is different depending on the Roku model number and that makes things even more puzzling.

I just checked on my Roku 4630 (audio via HDMI to TV and optical to old Panasonic AVR) and 4640 (HDMI to old Yamaha AVR), and the audio lag was barely noticeable compared to the last time I checked and posted about it here. It's the kind of thing you would only spot if you were fixating on the characters' lips looking for it (I checked an episode of Mrs. Maisel and The Expanse - I don't have a UHD setup). However, I remember reading somewhere that a work around is to fast-forward/rewind the video to try to get the audio back in sync, and in both cases I fastforwarded or rewound to get to a scene with dialogue for my testing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)