AMC 10 at 135.0°W
Univisión
3780 H 29200-3/4

Hi
Can somebody check for me this TP?
whats channels is avaiable
i looking for a RITMOSON...:)

Thank You Guys:)

Verified that all channels on this mux are encrypted.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1452390489.068230.jpg

I'll put a meter on it tomorrow to provide a SNR.

Here in Northern California, with a microHD on a 10', the SQ reading is 82-84%. This is much higher than most transponders on all satellites.

Why are you interested in encrypted channels that cannot be subscribed?

I'm wondering the same thing. Why so interested in the particulars of something that is encrypted anyway?

OT: I wonder what it would take to be able to sub to these FTA encrypted channels. I believe that it's called a CAM card? Oh well, if there isn't a business like we had for DC2 we will never get to sub. Is it possible to get such a business going? I guess there would be a minimum number of subscribers also. If it's true that so few of us FTA people are left, why bother scrambling? I doubt that it would be a significant impact on anyone's bottom line if less than a "couple" thousand of us are viewing their programming. Oh well.

These channels are for MDUs and not packaged or available for individual subscription.

Currently there is a service, Rainier Satellite that has been attempting for several years to authorize MDU channels for individuals to subscribe. While I wish that this model could be successful, I am highly doubtful that this attempt will succeed as this market segment is no longer viable.

The customer base is too small and the growth potential for 8-10' dishes in residential neighborhoods is history. The opportunity for growing the C-band individual authorization was 10 or 15 years ago when systems were still in folks backyards and owners were looking to continue using their 3-5k investments. Technicians were still local and new/replacement equipment was readily available. Today the local consumer technicians are retiring or those remaining commercial techs are no longer affordable or local for the home consumer. Most new C-band viewers are hobbyist and in my opinion, this segment is shrinking with the growing availability of programming via IP. C-band dishes for new customers or replacement are either expensive quality or cheap junk. Installation is labor intensive and if contracted, expensive. Required subscription receivers are overpriced, old plain Jane technology with support for only basic reception. They lack DVR, are not family friendly for integration for multi satellite viewing and not compatible for new / developing high definition services.

Beyond all these reasons, the company has alienated virtually everyone in the industry who could promote, refer, supply and support the service. Yes, I have had several negative and well documented experiences with this company and representatives. May share my experiences at another time and another thread... :)

Satellite encryption is primarily to secure the MDU market and control unauthorized internet distribution. You are correct, the home market for individual viewing is rarely mentioned as a reason for encryption. If you have traveled to remote or international destinations, you are probably aware of the unauthorized distribution that is rampant in hotels, resorts and even large communities. Internet file sharing sites often have programming available before public distribution. Often I have seen files listed for network programming in advance of the prime time distribution. A few years ago, I Googled a "Person of Interest" show posted before the East coast feed. Noted that it was captured from a logo'd Canadian feed that aired before the US air date.

Would love to have these subscription satellite distribution services available to individuals, but I believe that ship sailed many years ago...

Availabilty via IP would be great but I don't know of any seamless distribution other than Netflix, Hulu, etc. Even then, you'd have to have a massive subscription for all these services to get all available content. That's more than what I'm willing to pay. At one time I considered getting an NHL package over IP but I decided not to sub since I couldn't find a package that would give me Colorado Avalanche games due to "rights". And I can't get the games OTA either. I suppose it might be available thru DN, DTV, or cable but that's more than what I'm willing to pay also. Television, like everything else, has become too expensive. When my sat system goes kaput I'll be dropping out of that also. Yeah, I'm a tightwad. I guess I'll have to go do something constructive.

I think this guy isn't looking to subscribe, but yes it would be nice to have the option. I have just read elsewhere that card sharing has been defeated and PowerVu has been compromised, so there will probably be eye patch folk sniffing around for Cband info. FYI to all.

I always thought FTA (Free-to-air) was broadcast unencrypted and didn't require a subscription for us receive it.

So may I ask is there actually "FTA encrypted channels" as johnny says also? And if so what are these by definition?

You are correct. FTA means that the service is transmitted without encryption. JohnnyNobody used the wrong terminology, but I understood what he meant to ask.

There are DCII channels which are technically "free" as they can be received with a subscribed or previously subscribed compatible receiver. These services are encrypted with a fixed zero key which is enabled by the subscription process, but not requiring a unique key to decrypt. The zero key is enabled and remains enabled after the receiver has been actively subscribed.

I'm in no way a pro at this stuff, I hope one day I will be like you guys.

I remember when I first started the hobby in the beginning I couldn't understand why every transponder I scanned in was the opposite polarization then what was stated on Lyngsat; every V was H and every H was V. I didn't worry to much about it because every thing else was working good. I carried on with the hobby enjoying my self and scanning satellites. One day wile browsing the Internet and trying to learn about circular polarized signals I came across a web site called SatelliteGuys. Some one on the site mentioned having the dielectric plate in the LNB effectively made the reflector smaller (or something like that) which I immediately thought, hey I can maybe get better signal if I remove that (if i have it in the first place). Well after removing the plate I noticed all my TP's polarizations now matched the ones on Lyngsat.

That was the day I joined SatelliteGuys!

Reactions: Titanium
I see an after school special in the making here.

The day my life changed forever........That was the day I joined SatelliteGuys. :D!

of course changed for the good. :)
Maybe we need a "That's why I'm here" thread, I was a little storytellish with that one :sleepy ,hu?

I didn't fall to sleep I love hearing stories about how someone found Satguys!

Reactions: BigRyan
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts