AMC 21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for the links, photoman.

After looking at the rest of that pbsngis.org website, it sure looks like the future of PBS FTA is a big reduction on what we will be able to view. This non-real-time system is cool technologically, but unless you are a PBS affiliate, you don't get squat, do you?

PBS estimates that about 150 hours of content a week will be sent through the non–real-time system, with 50 hours continuing in real-time mode.

Next-Generation Distribution for PBS - 5/15/2006 - Broadcasting & Cable

PBS Moves Forward on New Pull Transmission Method - 9/15/2003 - Broadcasting & Cable

Non-real-time Service :: PBS :: Jim Kutzner

It says they are not going use DRM. But to see any of that non-real-time stuff, you'd have to figure out how to decode the digital files. And that's after figuring out how to save them to disk from the satellite feed.

I expect to see this method of program distribution to become more prevalent in the coming years, across the board. As control rooms become more and more tapeless, distribution of programming as digital files becomes more appealing. Non-linear hard drive arrays and now even solid-state memory card-based systems are making videotape obsolete.

Success!

After watching the freqs disappear a few days after scanning in the PBS feeds I threw in the towel and gave it a rest. Today I went back, deleted all the old TP's that no longer worked, blind scanned the bird again and now I've got 86%Q on the MT PBS feeds. WoooWhooo! Now if it stays at that I can finally have a reliable PBS feed (NET Nebraska finally has a stable signal but they continually mess around with the schedule-what the heck is a PBS station doing carrying sports anyway?).

I'm very interested in this new form of distribution. The DVB stream will contain an mpeg transport stream. Within that, there will be multicast IP data. In that IP data, there will be the file. HBO networks already does this with their on demand stuff. They use DCII, and how it works is that you need a special DCII IRD (DSR-4520) to output the multicast ip data via ethernet. It's like going to a specific DCII channel, but that transmission contains an mpeg transport stream which contains IP data. The IRD outputs that data via one of it's two ethernet ports. A "catcher" server catches the IP data and stores it.

The fact that there is no content protection means that if non PBS stations start distributing these files on the net, the transmissions will be encrypted. I plan on trying to catch some of the content, if I could, and watch it. All of course my own personal use. You need an IRD that will do multicast data, the Scientific Atlanta D9850 and older IRDs will. The IRD will need a multicast address (or group) set up, like 239.0.44.4 at a specific port, and some sort of program to capture the file. But if you do figure this out and get good transmissions of these files, please don't distribute them to everyone. Use them for your own personal watching. And support your local PBS station if you could.

Jonathan

.....-what the heck is a PBS station doing carrying sports anyway?).

Well the sports you see are not PBS, and those stations aren't owned by PBS, but instead are serving their local viewers, and I think carrying local sports serves their local viewers a heck of a lot more than just paying for national PBS programming.

However the reason I'm responding is that although it isn't the case now, PBS itself used to carry sports. I remember when PBS used to be the only network to carry the USLTA championships (the equivalent to the US Open Tennis championships before it turned pro). PBS also carried other sports not carried on regular network TV. I remember watching the national squash championship on PBS once. And this was not just the local station carrying the programming.

Anyway, public TV stations have a history of carrying sports, and I think that it's unfortunate that the sports have commercialized to the extent that this is no longer the case. But at least some local public stations continue to broadcast local interest sports, which I think is a good thing.

And support your local PBS station if you could.

I can and did. I consider my "local" PBS station to be Montana PBS, 1200 miles away. FTA sat is all the television I have at the moment. I became a member of Friends of Montana PBS when I couldn't find a way to join the national PBS directly.

I notice on the national PBS site they list FTA (analog) C-Band services, but nothing about FTA Ku. I sure hope they'll keep stuff in the clear for us on Ku over the long haul. I see stuff on AMC-21 that I never saw on the local PBS (nor on Montana PBS for that matter).

Looking at the programming offered on the BBC's joint venture called "freesat", I think programmers could learn a thing or two about the potential of FTA satellite here in the USA. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree...

I did write to the show "Democracy Now" (carried on some PBS stations) and they wrote back saying they hope to have FTA Ku service sometime next year after they move to their new studio. Would be nice, and it didn't hurt to ask.

Well the sports you see are not PBS, and those stations aren't owned by PBS, but instead are serving their local viewers, and I think carrying local sports serves their local viewers a heck of a lot more than just paying for national PBS programming.

I know the sports aren't PBS sports. Here's what irks me about NET and their schedule messing. I've been recording every episode of "As Time Goes By" for the wife. With about 60 episodes it takes around 9 months to cycle. Last year they screwed up the schedule and by-passed two episodes. Last night was the night. I set up the recorder allowing lead and trailing time. When I checked them this morning I found that NET had carried a high school football game but instead of ending the coverage at the end of the game they decided to hang around and do some interviews. They then "joined regular programming already in progress". That was 10 minutes into the first episode I needed. Great! Now I have to wait another 9 months! Since NET has been my only PBS feed for the last 5 years I can tell you they do this stuff all the time. They have absolutely no sense. Earlier this year they mis-scheduled 3 "Mystery" shows in a row. Their website schedule was different than the IPG and neither was correct. There isn't a month goes by they don't mess something up.

That's why I so desperately want an alternative.

I know the sports aren't PBS sports. Here's what irks me about NET and their schedule messing. I've been recording every episode of "As Time Goes By" for the wife............Now I have to wait another 9 months! ........... Earlier this year they mis-scheduled 3 "Mystery" shows in a row. .... There isn't a month goes by they don't mess something up.

That's why I so desperately want an alternative.

Yeah, I completely understand your frustration. It's definately annoying when they get you used to a schedule then mess it up. When one of my TVRO components went down this year, I switched over from sat to my local PBS station, recording OTA instead of off sat, and I too missed a couple episodes of Mystery, and also missed a couple episodes of Great Performances when the Titan TV schedule was wrong for the PBS-HD channel for several weeks.

I was mainly trying to point out that some sports used to be part of "PBS" programming, since PBS's goal was to provide programming that the major networks didn't seem to think were profitable. However after posting, I started thinking, and it turns out that I was wrong. I remembered watching several sporting events, including the likes of Rod Laver and Ken Rosewall playing in the USLTA championship on my local "PBS" station (WQED), and also remember other interesting programming like the Mummer's parade and other neat things you don't see on commercial TV. HOWEVER... I just checked, and PBS didn't EXIST when I saw that programming. Turns out, that what I was watching was the precursor to PBS, something called "National Educational Television". I had forgotten about that transition. I think that the evolution of NET (not "Nebraska, but National) into PBS, is kind of like public TV going professional, or at least semi-pro. Public TV was a bit more "pure" back then. It was truely non-profit, whereas the current PBS is hardly different from NBC or CBS.

But anyway, sorry for the false info of sports on PBS... it was on the old NET, not PBS.

It's kind of dissappointing that PBS seems to be intentionally trying to exclude TVRO viewers. I can understand that they feel they have a responsibility to their member stations and they feel that they believe that their raw feed transponders should not be public (I don't agree), and understand that the writing is pretty much on the wall, that in a few years, our only access to PBS will probably be over our own local stations, that many can't get OTA, and will have to pay to receive DN or DTV to get........ However the fact that they are keeping up that AMC-4 analog transponder shows me that down deep they know that they owe TVROers a channel or two that they can watch. But it's weird that they are spending money to keep up that transponder, and yet keeping it at such low power that many can't pull it in without sparklies. Sort of like they're trying to wean C-banders off that channel onto DVB so that when they kill the transponder nobody will notice. I just hope that when they do finally give up that analog transponder, that maybe they'll give us another C-band DVB signal, something similar to the narrow band NET DBS channel.

The way PBS is doing this transition is really confusing to me, ie I don't understand the AMC-3 12180 getting weaker and weaker, and then the 12120 switching from S2 to having the same programming as 12180 in QPSK, but stronger? And also the horizontal channels on AMC-21 seem to be jumping around in strength, one day strong, the next weak. I know they're coming from different uplinkers... I just hope it's a situation of some of the uplinkers not quite being as far into the transition as others yet. Luckily, it seems like AMC3 is still if fairly good condition for the time being. I'd just like them to get this thing settled down, so we'd all know what is available and what we need to do to upgrade to get what's available. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to need to plant a new dish to get AMC-21 well, and unfortunately my ground is now frozen, and I can't dig a hole anymore. Wish they would have done this transition in the summer months.

It's kind of dissappointing that PBS seems to be intentionally trying to exclude TVRO viewers.

I don't believe it is intentional. It's a more reliable way for program distribution. These types of setups are used by some broadcasters for distribution of video on demand. It's an automatic system where the file is "pitched" from the uplink and "caught" at the downlink, automatically dumped on a hard drive. HBO Networks uses it, but they distribute it through DCII, not DVB. With PBS, it's just an easier way for member stations to get the programming. With raw feeds of video, if you miss the airing, you miss the show. Someone has to be there to record the show, or set the timer. This is usually done with commercial digital tape decks. With this system, it's just automatic, dumped to a hard drive. Any errored datagrams are requested through a WAN link to repair the file. I'm guessing the old way of distribution was costly, requiring someone to be there to record the raw feed, and then deal with digital tapes, etc.

Also too, unlike the other national broadcast network, like ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX, local PBS stations don't mirror their national feed. Their national feed seems to be pre-aired shows, not an constant feed of programming. Every hour I think the other national broadcast network affiliates have to identify their call letters and frequencies as required by FCC law, but other than that and locally inserted commercials, they pretty much mirror their national feed they get from satellite. PBS doesn't seem to have that, they just distribute programs rather than a constant feed, so this method of distribution is more reliable.

And also too, I'm sure people like us can receive these files PBS will be transmitting. A cheap way would be a DVB card in a linux system. From what I was reading, a file transmission takes 10 days, so transfer is pretty slow, but, this means there is less of a chance for transmission errors. I'll take a look at some "catchers" and see the undelying technical details of how this works.

I can't find anywhere any information on the "catcher". Tandberg has a system that includes a "catcher" used with HBO Networks VOD.

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

My son is coming here for the Thanksgiving weekend and I hope he will go out on the roof to adjust my dish. Presently it only works right towards the Eastern part of the sky. Please can anyone tell me which is the strongest transponder on the satellite at 125W? Even if its not terribly strong.

Thanks everyone, for everything.

Holly

Maybe depends on how picky the reciever is?I used the lyngsat site to manually enter all the info as it wasn't posted in the list at that time.

I was going to post to see "The List" but noticed that the Freq & SRs are always a couple off, any reason?

blind scan and some LNB's have drift so unless you know exactly the info you might be acanning off 1 or 2 which is no biggie

Also some receivers can blind scan goofy. Fortecs seem to be off on the higher symbol rates. When I hit a 30000 symbol rate with the Classic or Merc II it usually logs as "30031"

blind scan and some LNB's have drift so unless you know exactly the info you might be acanning off 1 or 2 which is no biggie

Also some receivers can blind scan goofy. Fortecs seem to be off on the higher symbol rates. When I hit a 30000 symbol rate with the Classic or Merc II it usually logs as "30031"
I don't know about the Classic, but you can always recognize Mercury users when they report 30030 or 20020 SRs. The darn Mercury is ALWAYS off, both on freq AND on SR. When I was still using my Mercury, I couldn't EVER use any freq/SR it found on my receivers that have tighter tuners.
My Fortec Ultra, on the other hand has always been right on. It seems like the Fortec receivers have been going downhill with each new model. My Lifetime is a very nice receiver, except for not having blind scan. The Ultra has been an OK receiver, but that Mercury is terrible.
Re the LNB drift, yeah I have one KUL1 lnb that not only drifted, but was off by 2 MHz right out of the box, and it drifted to being off by5 MHz when the temp got cold. That was enough to make narrow news feeds, and also those narrow 4444 SR PBS channels come in at the wrong place, or even be impossible to tune on some occasions (ie the receivers would lock in on the wrong transponder).

I've worked with all 3 (Ultra, Classic & merc II)

Ultra...bang on...uses the same screens as the Pansat 1500 I have.
Classic..have had 2 and low symbol rates (3978, 6111) it logs as 3979 but usually is bang on...high s/r it logs off
Merc II...well there is enough info on it

My favorite blind scan box is the Pansat 1500....slower than dirt but accurate :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

C/Ku/IF Frequency Calculator/Converter

Bandstacked Shootout or Why Amps Are Good and Bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts