AMC 7 at 137w Anchorage Mux question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alebowgm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Greetings all,

So today a work we get a new recruit who it turns out just has moved down from Alaska. After getting to talk to him a bit, I found out that he is using a Slingbox (not sure what model) to get his hometown locals. Now being the junkie I am to this website, I know that the Alaska locals are up on AMC 7 at 137w. Looking over at Lyngsat, it appears as if they are currently encrypted using 'Compel' technology. So my question is, what reciever is needed to get these stations/where can I point my new collegue to look at find out information about subscribing to these stations?

I Google searched Compel but couldn't find much.

Thanks for the info!

simple answer...you can't

Compel is a scrambling technique used for cable companies (like PowerVu). The Anchorage locals are for the cable company up there (GCI...Its pretty much the whole state is on GCI) and since the state is so big and barren, satellite is the only way to get the locals beamed across the state.

Heck on most receivers they wont even scan in or if they do its with bogus pids. Most of the boxes I have wont scan them 6 channels in (the other 2 it will....program7 & 360North) and the CS8000 logs the pids at 8191 (which means nill)

Some in the Clear on 139W if your in the NW. Getting them here, nice to get the News from Alaska.

Darn, will have to pass of the bad news then. To bad there was no way to pay them to get a sub just for those stations one way or another. I guess Compel is a rare type of encrpytion based on what you were saying of them not being able to scan?

yeah sadly....but once in a while they do go in the clear....usually when a headend in like nome or barrow has issues...little hard to fly there from Anchorage so they deal with it later

I wish we could sub to them

I asked that a while back...here are some posts from Mike Kohl on the subject
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/58375-amc8.html

Previous occupants of the 139 West (and the Aurora satellite at 143 West...way before that), have had an 18/6 transponder split.
18 transponders were on an Alaskan spot beam, and
6 transponders were CONUS (typically TR 3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23).

I don't know which transponders on AMC-8 are CONUS and which are ALASKA beam, but would bet that it's at least 12 Alaska beam channels, if not more. All of the channels that ARCS mentioned are definitely on Alaska beam. SEDAT and similar digital audio channels used by broadcast stations on this satellite are on CONUS beam, and broadcasters are advised to be very selective on their feedhorns
(the former ADL RP-1 worked best for my customers), and an antenna of at least 12 feet in diameter.

In any case, signals on this satellite are elusive to all but those in the Pacific NW. You are not going to get Alaskan TV in the Midwest---if it was possible, I would have made arrangements to do it myself long ago!
http://www.satelliteguys.us/501682-post19.html

and when 360North moved from 139 to 137
Just checked with a friend in Anchorage who can see AMC-8 Alaska beam.
Alaska 3 (formerly Gavel or 360) has been dropped from the Mux.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)