AMC 9 kaput?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When I unpacked a dish 'n motor from Sadoun many years ago, there was a live honey bee in the bubble wrap! - :)

Last year, a member sent me a C-band orthomode feedhorn 'n LNBs he'd rescued off a BUD.
It had hundreds of dead (and many still live) ants inside.
They had made some little mud tunnels, too! - ;)

But flushing out the bugs, cleaning the LNB, drying it, fixing the broken wire, AND getting it all to work again...
.. now that takes the cake! - :eek:
Gotta give you a tip of the hat for that one. - :hatsoff: - :clap

I haven't been on RTV all day but at midnight I kicked over to Tuff to see what sort of B movie they would have on and I get no signal at all, RTV is down and that annoying colorbars channel is even down too. I rescanned the satellite and there's nothing at all showing on any transponder. Zero signal.

The weather here should not be a factor. Could it be bad weather where they are transmitting up from? I forget where they are sending it up from.

I have no problems picking up any other satellites and it was working perfectly earlier today so I doubt there's anything wrong with my equipment.

Just to be sure, I did a total power down of everything and when it came back up, everything works just fine except AMC-9.

BTW, a bit of a worrisome issue, RTV went bye bye on Facebook. What's up with that? Another Equity / Whitesprings fiasco in the works??

Thanks! :)
I was watching RTV and TUFF yesterday with no issues. And why would you assume NBC Newschannel's colorbars on AMC9/3F are annoying. They're there for a reason.

When I unpacked a dish 'n motor from Sadoun many years ago, there was a live honey bee in the bubble wrap! - :)

Last year, a member sent me a C-band orthomode feedhorn 'n LNBs he'd rescued off a BUD.
It had hundreds of dead (and many still live) ants inside.
They had made some little mud tunnels, too! - ;)

But flushing out the bugs, cleaning the LNB, drying it, fixing the broken wire, AND getting it all to work again...
.. now that takes the cake! - :eek:
Gotta give you a tip of the hat for that one. - :hatsoff: - :clap

Lemme see if I can illustrate the malfunction I repaired.
fixed_it.jpg (click to zoom)

I blew up and highlighted the point of failure which I'm pretty sure happened when I pulled that circuit board out. There are two little boards there, the main board with the chips and a small board that L's off of the main one that carries the signal outside of the box to the connector where you attach the cable. I think it's called an F connector. Well, there was a tiny drop of solder connecting the two boards and that broke. So I took the soldering iron my dad gave me and reheated the solder and it flowed back and reconnected the two boards. I put it all back together, hoping that I would get some dumb luck and BINGO! It worked! And it actually works better now than it ever did!

I really had no business opening that thing up but I didn't know what else to do. It wasn't working so it was either open it up and hope I could fix it or HOPE I could find a replacement on ebay.

I got lucky... Nothing more..

:)

I was watching RTV and TUFF yesterday with no issues. And why would you assume NBC Newschannel's colorbars on AMC9/3F are annoying. They're there for a reason.

Well, I suppose they are serve a purpose to NBC or they wouldn't spend the money to put them there. To me however, I find little value in them.
But, that's just me. I can only watch and listen to that channel for so long before I get bored and have to change channels, ya know? :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts