AMC14 The Rescue mission: Lunar Burn may be a reality.

Plus, didn't Charlie make a special point to say the Sat. was going to be moved into orbit?
Charlie/Dish/Echostar have nothing to do with that aspect of the satellite's operation. When he said that, that was to either keep people's hopes up or what SES Americom told him. I'm sure that the preference, by far, is to attempt to move it.

Just a bit of technical info I remember from an IEEE Spectrum article a year or so ago:

Sirius and XM both transmit each channel on multiple frequencies, from multiple satellites. The receiver automatically selects the strongest frequency for the channel you are listening to.

In urban areas where you are likely to lose line-of-sight to the satellites, they use terrestrial repeaters to duplicate the channels on yet more frequencies. A 4-second buffer keeps the radio playing while you pass through momentary shadows (such as under bridges on the freeway).

The Sirius video channels are not satellite TV in the same way D* and E* are. The video signal is specially encoded and transmitted using the bandwidth of multiple audio channels. This way, Sirius can use the same infrastructure as the audio channels, and only a special receiver is necessary to reconstruct the video signal. The disadvantage is that one video channel is equivalent to many audio channels, and there is only so much bandwidth available (which is one reason there are only 3 video channels available so far).

It's worth noting that the bandwidth of even a SD video channel is much, much larger than a audio satellite radio channel.

I may be off base...but my understanding was that Sirius uses several geosynchronous satellites so that at least 2 are visible at any one time and that their programming is mirrored on all satellites. XM uses geostationary satellites and has their programming split among them much in the same manner the DBS companies do.

There have been some reports at another forum that the apogee of AMC-14 has been increased to about 22,000 miles which I believe is about the correct altitude for a geostationary orbit.

where are you seeing that mentioned? Even if they were trying to save it, given the orbit/inclination it's in, boosting the apogee like that at it's present inclination likely wouldnt be the step they'd take. Maybe their confusing Km with Miles.

Wish I still had my copy of Satellite Took Kit so I could build a nice 3d Animation to share (Analytical Graphics, Inc. (AGI), analysis software for land, sea, air, and space)...

Which forum

There have been some reports at another forum that the apogee of AMC-14 has been increased to about 22,000 miles which I believe is about the correct altitude for a geostationary orbit.

Which forum? If it is dbstalk, all I see is a post (incidentally from you) stating that there are reports in another forum (this?) stating the same (altitude increase)

Could you please care educate us on which forum/thread is this mysterious update posted?

Guys,

Don't forget to count potential lost business in the equation.

If I was running DN and had to choose between collecting the insurance check and compromising my business strategy, vs. getting a few years of life out the bird, until I could launch another (bigger capacity) satellite, I might have chose the latter.

Any smart businessmen will consider ROI of remaining life against the insurance payout.

Guys,

If I was running DN and had to choose between collecting the insurance check and compromising my business strategy, vs. getting a few years of life out the bird, until I could launch another (bigger capacity) satellite, I might have chose the latter.

Any smart businessmen will consider ROI of remaining life against the insurance payout.

But does it really compromise his business strategy? Since the loss Charlie's said it won't impact his HD expansion plans so what is it, we don't need it and take the money or we do need it and do whatever it take to get it up there?

Guys,

There's one issue with your statement. It's not DishNetwork's satellite. It is SES's.

But does it really compromise his business strategy? Since the loss Charlie's said it won't impact his HD expansion plans so what is it, we don't need it and take the money or we do need it and do whatever it take to get it up there?

Dish said it will not impact hd short term (2-3 months). Long term we will just have to wait and see what happens with AMC-14.