Amendment #4 To Form 10: Rainbow Media Enterprises (all related articles posted here)

GadgetRick said:
Honestly, I could care less what DTV is paying for Sunday Ticket. I don't understand why the NFL is keeping itself stuck in the corner they painted themselves into with the original deal. I don't care how many subs DTV has, there are still many people out there who would gladly pay for Sunday Ticket if they could get it through their current provider. These people aren't the kind of people who will switch providers for it though so, at the end of the day, the NFL is losing out.

The Rickster

At $700 million a year for 5 years,the NFL is not losing out

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 8, 2004-- DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital television service provider, today announced a five-year $3.5 billion agreement with the National Football League to extend and expand DIRECTV's exclusive rights to carry NFL SUNDAY TICKET, the leading sports subscription television package in the United States. DIRECTV will continue to have exclusive multichannel television rights to air NFL SUNDAY TICKET games through the 2010 season.

Here is the rest:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/041108/86223_1.html

Here is another story about how hard up ;) the NFL is with money

Walt Disney Co. has one more headache: what to do about the National Football League. On Monday, Viacom Inc.'s CBS and News Corp.'s Fox agreed to pay a total of $8 billion over six years to extend relationships with the league.

News Corp.'s DirecTV Group Inc. satellite service renewed its valuable "Sunday Ticket" football deal for seven more years for an additional $3 billion, locking out cable operators from the package.

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB110004883945569662,00.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

GadgetRick said:
Honestly, I could care less what DTV is paying for Sunday Ticket. I don't understand why the NFL is keeping itself stuck in the corner they painted themselves into with the original deal. I don't care how many subs DTV has, there are still many people out there who would gladly pay for Sunday Ticket if they could get it through their current provider. These people aren't the kind of people who will switch providers for it though so, at the end of the day, the NFL is losing out.

The Rickster

the NFL doesn't get paid per subscriber and D* loses a lot of money on this deal - they pay a major premium because Sunday Ticket locks people into D*.

Wall Street Blasting VOOM

Wall Street analysts on Wednesday took aim at VOOM, the satellite TV service from Cablevision, a day after the MSO reported third quarter results.

Richard Greenfield of Fulcrum Global Partners, in a stern analyst note, said management should put an end to the VOOM "money pit." He added, "We believe Cablevision management is not using sound judgment in continuing to deploy capital to VOOM - VOOM has lost over $130 million in EBITDA in the past two quarters.

"The correct management decision would be to shutter or sell VOOM, ending the cash 'black hole' they are perpetuating, and keep the valuable national entertainment networks within Cablevision proper," Greenfield said. He added, "VOOM does not have the financial capacity to compete and should be shut down or sold for the good of all Cablevision investors immediately."

Craig Moffett of Bernstein Research said the bad news at VOOM may eventually translate into good news, given that the "failure of the business to gain traction suggests – hopefully – an earlier demise," he said. Moffett also added that nothing appears imminent for VOOM. He said closure of VOOM "would unlock asset values throughout the portfolio."

VOOM said it is company policy not to comment on analyst reports. However, Cablevision executives backed the VOOM venture during a conference call Tuesday. In one instance, Cablevision CEO Jim Dolan compared investors' worries about VOOM to early investor concerns about his father's (Chuck Dolan) creation of HBO.

Cablevision has plans to spin out VOOM with Rainbow Media programming assets.

This form just to lower initiital stock price so they can make millions on rise

I read a Microsoft Form 10. It would make it sound like Microsoft is losing market share to Unisyss. This form is designed by its very essense to be negative and to lower expectations, to prevent lawsuits. I beleive it is there to have to the most impact on voom stock now before it breaks from Cablevision. This way the stock price can rise dramitically and they can make millions. Cabelevision can shield the news better than voom by itself

I talked to voom today they are expecting to add 10 to 15 new channels soon, and they expect dvr before end of year. We don't need MPEG 4 now. We can wait, no one elese has it we will still be the leader. Voom has more HD channells than anyone, and arguably the best overall (SD and HD) picture. I was waiting for HD DVD and that has been pushed to next year so this happens in technology. We still have an amazing variety of HD channels to choose from. Watching Smart Travels with Rudi Maxa has made my life longer, i love that show and watch it whenever its own.. LEts all support voom thru this tought period and there will be light at end of tunnel

More fire: Doom to VOOM...

Source

Washington, D.C. (November 12) -- Voom, the satellite TV service
from Cablevision, just reported that it lost subscribers over the last
three months. The news is particularly embarrassing when you note
that Voom has accumulated less than 27,000 customers after one
year. The company doesn't have the luxury of losing people at this
point.

However, the bad news is hardly surprising. When Voom launched a
year ago, I said it was doomed from the start for three reasons:

1. Voom is targeting the wrong audience
Voom has an impressive lineup of 30-plus HDTV channels. However,
only 10-11 million people now have HDTV sets, Although the HDTV numbers are growing, the target audience is too small for a project
this ambitious. The way it's spending money, Voom can't wait until
HDTV gets bigger.

2. Voom will be co-opted by DIRECTV and EchoStar
DIRECTV just announced that it will launch four new satellites that will
enable it to deliver 150 national HDTV channels by 200. (Plus local HD
signals). So much for Voom's competitive advantage.

3. The satellite TV business has matured:
DIRECTV and EchoStar, which have been in business for a decade,
now have more than 20 million subscribers combined. Although
satellite TV officials are loath to admit this, there may be only 15
million to 20 million potential subscribers still out there. (Many viewers
cannot get satellite service because they either live in apartments or
do not have a residence with a clear southern view of the sky.)
DIRECTV and EchoStar, which have spent billions on marketing and
branding, would seem well positioned to get the lion's share of new
subs. For Voom to succeed, it would have to take subscribers away
from the existing services or somehow manage to leapfrog them in
marketing awareness.

So, what's Voom next move?

According to financial news sites, Cablevision's investors are
screaming for the company to shutter Voom as soon as possible. The
satellite TV service is bleeding red ink, causing Cablevision's profits to
suffer. So I predict that Cablevision will close Voom or sell it to
EchoStar in the first six months of 2005 (if not sooner).

EchoStar seems like an ideal candidate to buy Voom. The 27,000
subs wouldn't be very appealing, but Voom's orbital locations would.
EchoStar conceivably could use those slots to expand its HDTV
lineup, thereby staying competitive with DIRECTV when it launches
the four new satellites.

Either way, it's clear that Voom is doomed.

Wall Street Blasting Voom

Wall Street Blasting VOOM

Wall Street analysts on Wednesday took aim at VOOM, the satellite TV service from Cablevision, a day after the MSO reported third quarter results.

Richard Greenfield of Fulcrum Global Partners, in a stern analyst note, said management should put an end to the VOOM "money pit." He added, "We believe Cablevision management is not using sound judgment in continuing to deploy capital to VOOM - VOOM has lost over $130 million in EBITDA in the past two quarters.

"The correct management decision would be to shutter or sell VOOM, ending the cash 'black hole' they are perpetuating, and keep the valuable national entertainment networks within Cablevision proper," Greenfield said. He added, "VOOM does not have the financial capacity to compete and should be shut down or sold for the good of all Cablevision investors immediately."

Craig Moffett of Bernstein Research said the bad news at VOOM may eventually translate into good news, given that the "failure of the business to gain traction suggests ? hopefully ? an earlier demise," he said. Moffett also added that nothing appears imminent for VOOM. He said closure of VOOM "would unlock asset values throughout the portfolio."

VOOM said it is company policy not to comment on analyst reports. However, Cablevision executives backed the VOOM venture during a conference call Tuesday. In one instance, Cablevision CEO Jim Dolan compared investors' worries about VOOM to early investor concerns about his father's (Chuck Dolan) creation of HBO.

Cablevision has plans to spin out VOOM with Rainbow Media programming assets.

Wall St. static over
Cablevision Voom

Wall Street's fuming over Cablevision's satellite ambitions. Prominent media analyst Richard Greenfield of Fulcrum Global Partners, is trashing Cablevision's Voom satellite, calling it a "black hole."
"Voom does not have the financial capacity to compete and should be shut down or sold for the good of all Cablevision investors immediately," Greenfield wrote. "I do not believe there is one investor (beyond those with the last name Dolan) who owns or does not own the stock who believes this is a good idea," referring to Cablevision bosses Charles and James Dolan.

Greenfield's not the only one seeing red over Voom, the bid by the Dolans to take on satellite giants DirecTV and EchoStar. Many analysts have suggested Cablevision shutter the money-eating satellite, which is late to the game. They want the Dolans to focus on the company's fast-growing, cable, Internet and telecom businesses, which just posted strong results.

The Dolans think otherwise. They note they were late-comers on many ventures and still ended up scoring well. Earlier this week, James Dolan compared Voom's skeptics to early naysayers who dumped on HBO, founded by his father Charles.

http://www.nydailynews.com/business/story/251531p-215335c.html

Wall Street Blasting Voom

Craig Moffett of Bernstein Research said the bad news at VOOM may eventually translate into good news, given that the "failure of the business to gain traction suggests – hopefully – an earlier demise," he said. Moffett also added that nothing appears imminent for VOOM. He said closure of VOOM "would unlock asset values throughout the portfolio."

Cablevision has plans to spin out VOOM with Rainbow Media programming assets. :D

this just out from SWANNI

Now i know he dosn't like voom and is connected with hdnet but i might as well put his opinion up

Special Report: 2005 Predictions

Voom Meets Its Doom
The struggling satcaster can't possibly survive
another year. By Phillip Swann

Editor's Note: Phillip Swann, president of TVPredictions.com, is
making 40 predictions for new TV technology in 2005. A new
prediction will be published every weekday at TV Predictions
for the rest of 2004, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Click
Predictions to see a list of his 2005 forecasts to date.

Washington, D.C. (November 12) -- Voom, the satellite TV service
from Cablevision, just reported that it lost subscribers over the last
three months. The news is particularly embarrassing when you note
that Voom has accumulated less than 27,000 customers after one
year. The company doesn't have the luxury of losing people at this
point.

However, the bad news is hardly surprising. When Voom launched a
year ago, I said it was doomed from the start for three reasons:

1. Voom is targeting the wrong audience
Voom has an impressive lineup of 30-plus HDTV channels. However,
only 10-11 million people now have HDTV sets, Although the HDTV numbers are growing, the target audience is too small for a project
this ambitious. The way it's spending money, Voom can't wait until
HDTV gets bigger.

2. Voom will be co-opted by DIRECTV and EchoStar
DIRECTV just announced that it will launch four new satellites that will
enable it to deliver 150 national HDTV channels by 200. (Plus local HD
signals). So much for Voom's competitive advantage.

3. The satellite TV business has matured
DIRECTV and EchoStar, which have been in business for a decade,
now have more than 20 million subscribers combined. Although
satellite TV officials are loath to admit this, there may be only 15
million to 20 million potential subscribers still out there. (Many viewers
cannot get satellite service because they either live in apartments or
do not have a residence with a clear southern view of the sky.)
DIRECTV and EchoStar, which have spent billions on marketing and
branding, would seem well positioned to get the lion's share of new
subs. For Voom to succeed, it would have to take subscribers away
from the existing services or somehow manage to leapfrog them in
marketing awareness.

So, what's Voom next move?

According to financial news sites, Cablevision's investors are
screaming for the company to shutter Voom as soon as possible. The
satellite TV service is bleeding red ink, causing Cablevision's profits to
suffer. So I predict that Cablevision will close Voom or sell it to
EchoStar in the first six months of 2005 (if not sooner).

EchoStar seems like an ideal candidate to buy Voom. The 27,000
subs wouldn't be very appealing, but Voom's orbital locations would.
EchoStar conceivably could use those slots to expand its HDTV
lineup, thereby staying competitive with DIRECTV when it launches
the four new satellites.

Either way, it's clear that Voom is doomed.

Phillip Swann is President & Publisher of TVPredictions.com. If you
would like to contact Mr. Swann, he can be reached at 703-505-3064
or at Swann@TVPredictions.com. And come back every weekday
for a new prediction for 2005!

Oh he is correct. I remember my 3 weeks with Voom. I cancelled with 7 free weeks of service remaining. That is opinion. On the factual side no companies stockholders will stand for this type of waste. If cablevision will not drop or spin Voom, the stockholders will drop or spin cablevision.

slacker9876 said:
If cablevision will not drop or spin Voom, the stockholders will drop or spin cablevision.
If they do I want some of their shares. Despite Voom Cablevision had healthy returns last quarter.

They've lost ONLY 130M in 2Q? No wonder they're losing subs :)

No, I'm serious. That doesn't seem like a lot of money for a venture like this. Don't you have to spend money to make money?

barth2k said:
They've lost ONLY 130M in 2Q? No wonder they're losing subs :)

No, I'm serious. That doesn't seem like a lot of money for a venture like this. Don't you have to spend money to make money?

They(Cablevision) have set $600 million for Voom,more $$$ need to come from investors,at the rate they are going,$75 million lost 3rd quarter,they will be way above $ 200 million this year alone with no way of the bleeding to stop.

Now a lot of people keep saying that they have enough money to last maybe two years before they are out of cash,but what good business can just let another $400 million just bleed away like that,just think what Cablevision stockholders(not just people that has stocks,but banks that own stock in Cablevision,other businesses that own cablevision stock,pension plans that own Cablevision stock,etc)will be saying as the stocks lose less and less of their value because of Voom.

Read this:

http://biz.yahoo.com/fool/041109/1100027940_1.html

By shedding the money-losing satellite TV business and returning to its core strengths, Cablevision should return to profitability sooner rather than later. Subscriber growth in each of the company's advanced consumer services (voice, Internet, and digital cable) came in substantially above expectations, and revenues per basic customer have increased 14% over last year to $83.89. The company still has a long road ahead, but with raised forecasts projecting over 1 million new RGUs this year, it should be less rocky than the road behind.

vurbano said:
If they do I want some of their shares. Despite Voom Cablevision had healthy returns last quarter.

Huh?

Cablevision posts narrower 3rd-quarter loss
Tue Nov 9, 2004 08:10 AM ET
NEW YORK, Nov 9 (Reuters) - Cablevision Systems Corp. (CVC.N: Quote, Profile, Research) on Tuesday posted a smaller third-quarter net loss as revenue rose 20 percent..
The Bethpage, New York-based cable television operator posted a net loss of $63.2 million, or 22 cents a share, compared with a net loss of $107.0 million, or 37 cents a share, in the year-earlier period. The year-earlier results were restated.

http://www.reuters.com/financeQuote...=MTFH40116_2004-11-09_13-10-53_WEN9375_NEWSML

I hate to say it but I agree with Sean. I invested nothing for the dish or the box and I am getting a lot of HD I would not othewise have. If predictions are true, D* or E* will add HD. They will have to as SD channels make the transition to HD. So as consumers we win. If E* buys V*. We still win. So I am sitting back and watching what we have now. True a lot of repeats but so is Showtime, HBO and etc. That is why I dropped them long ago. I'd rather rent the DVD.

If you like you can listen to the 1 hour and 14 minutes conference at this site. Most of the questions were directed to Cablevision growth and when asked specifics about VOOM, Jim Dolan and his executive responded that they are not allowed to speak freely because of the spin-off process. One question that was asked was whether RME will entertain selling their exclusive channels to other providers at a National level (just as they do we AMC, WE & IFC). The respond was "Yes" we'll listen. Actually the SEC filling has more than it was stated. Their attitude (which is expected) is that spin-off will occur and Rainbow DBS will have its company with emphasis in a better market strategy than what they have used so far. Listen to it and make your own conclusions. I think we are getting more of "the Doom Message" here at this forum and at AVSforum than at the investor(s) level. Only time will tell...

Voom New Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)