Status
Please reply by conversation.

Randy1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
north cAROLINA
hey guys,

When i get my fta system fully going, will i be able to get American forces network on amc @ 103. How many channels are in the network?

thanks,

randy

According to Lyngsat it's encrypted with PowerVu. I think you must request authorization through the proper (US Military) channels, meaning if you aren't active duty/retired/etc military you can probably forget about it. I remember reading about it some time back but can't find the info on their website now. http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/

If for some reason you would be eligible for receiving it, the fact that it's in C band might also be limiting. Is your dish >= 6 ft.?

Did you try a search in the FTA Department?
There was a recent* discussion of this very subject, and the receivers to get it.
I didn't pay close attention, as it wasn't of primary interest, but there was lots of meaty info.

* recent: 6 months? no more than 12 months.

edit: search on "Armed Forces"
Maybe this thread is the one I was thinking of...?

Powervu

Before anyone gets really serious about playing with Powervu here is my trials with it which may be of interest. If nothing else it will give an insight to its workings and complexity.

PowerVu

AFN is a repackage of various US networks' programming, designed for viewing by US servicemembers stationed overseas. From their website:

"Eligible AFN viewers can purchase or lease decoders from their local Army and Air Force Exchange Service or Navy Exchange Service Command stores. Because of the need to personally verify the eligibility of purchasers, all purchases must be accomplished in person.

The authorized viewers of the American Forces Radio and Television Service (AFRTS) are limited to: active duty military assigned/deployed overseas; direct-hire Department of Defense and Department of State employees serving overseas; military retirees living overseas; and, the family members accompanying these personnel overseas.

The authorized audience limitations are imposed on AFRTS by the program owners and distributors who provide their programming to AFRTS at little or no cost, but who's primary interests are to sell their programming to commercial broadcasting, cable, and satellite distributors worldwide. "

It is not legal to receive this programming unless you fit into those catagories. Military in the US, with a couple of exceptional posts, watch the local television stations and regular "cable" networks like ESPN, etc.

AFN is a repackage of various US networks' programming, designed for viewing by US servicemembers stationed overseas. From their website:

"Eligible AFN viewers can purchase or lease decoders from their local Army and Air Force Exchange Service or Navy Exchange Service Command stores. Because of the need to personally verify the eligibility of purchasers, all purchases must be accomplished in person.

The authorized viewers of the American Forces Radio and Television Service (AFRTS) are limited to: active duty military assigned/deployed overseas; direct-hire Department of Defense and Department of State employees serving overseas; military retirees living overseas; and, the family members accompanying these personnel overseas.

The authorized audience limitations are imposed on AFRTS by the program owners and distributors who provide their programming to AFRTS at little or no cost, but who's primary interests are to sell their programming to commercial broadcasting, cable, and satellite distributors worldwide. "

It is not legal to receive this programming unless you fit into those catagories. Military in the US, with a couple of exceptional posts, watch the local television stations and regular "cable" networks like ESPN, etc.

OK so why is it even broadcast from a satellite with a footprint essentially only covering the US

OK so why is it even broadcast from a satellite with a footprint essentially only covering the US

I asked the same question several years ago and was told that it is a up/downlink to get the signal all over the world. I personally do not have the technical knowledge concerning up/downlinks so if that is not true then someone with the knowledge needs to refute it.

The AFRTS headquarters is in the Los Angeles area so that might have something to do with it also.

on 103W there is only one station and that is "Pentagon Channel"...technically 2 channels. One in MPEG2 and one in AC-3 audio

I think some folks are thinking beyond the original question ;)

Guys this is power vu encrypted, you have to have the proper Power Vu receiver in order to even see the channels, and have it authorized through the DOD. The only person that im aware of on this board that has the ablity to do that and have the right equipment is me :p. AFN has some good programming and would be a great network anytime. If you dont have the right powervu reciver and are not a dod employee or vet, the chances of you getting this is slim to none.

on 103W there is only one station and that is "Pentagon Channel"...technically 2 channels. One in MPEG2 and one in AC-3 audio

I think some folks are thinking beyond the original question ;)

I think Iceberg is correct in what the OP is asking.

AFAIK, there are no AFN channels on 103W. Only the Pentagon Channels.

Great information

Guys, thanks for the great information. This board is awesome! I have every thing set up for FTA except for my receiver. Mr. Soudan has been awesome in helping me. He took the receiver back and is repairing it for me. Hope to to have it soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)