America's Satellite Information Source???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
That still is no excuse as to why a product like the HR34 has never had a "First Look" at this site. A HR34 should have been procured by some of the staff here, and reviewed. Just because DirecTV didn't give out a sample is no excuse for the product not to be reviewed at a place that is supposed to provide seemingly unbiased information.

I understand what you're saying Bob. Yes I do own a HR34. But honestly I havent done a review on a D* receiver before. Free to air? yes. But not D*
But since I only have a HR34 I cannot do any testing on the MRV or anything related to it. My HR34 to me is this
The 2 R22's I owned before it + an extra tuner + a RF remote. I use it to record shows since I work 3p-11p and it does what I want it to record. Yes I had to get the CE to get the HD GUI but other than that its what I just posted. Again since I am not using the CCK kit (I plugged my ethernet into the HR34 directly) and dont have any extra receivers to test MRV I can only go off what it does as is. Thats why when you see folks post a string list of issues with the CE software 95% of that doesnt affect me as I dont have MRV.

If someone who has a HR34 and uses MRV wants to do a review...by all means please do. But honestly the threads of HR34 speak for themselves as to the pros and cons of the machine.

edit: to add...But for me I use the HR34 to do this
-record shows at night while I'm at work and not worry about missing shows due to conflicts
-download some music videos on CMT & VH1 on demand (I have DSL so movies arent an option)

Honestly lets put it this way.....me doing a review on the HR34 (with no MRV) is like someone reviewing a new badass FTA receiver and all they have it for is to view ethnic channels on 97W ;)

That still is no excuse as to why a product like the HR34 has never had a "First Look" at this site. A HR34 should have been procured by some of the staff here, and reviewed. Just because DirecTV didn't give out a sample is no excuse for the product not to be reviewed at a place that is supposed to provide seemingly unbiased information.

I bought an HR34 as well, at about $350 in fact since Directv wouldn't budge on price for me. I had an owned H24 I was able to sell to mitigate some of that cost which helped. I bought it to learn the product and for the picture in picture (which is disappointing BTW, live tv only).

By the time I had it setup and running other users had used and discussed it at length, and dbstalk had their first look out a few weeks. There really, at that point, was nothing a second review would reveal. I've been very quick to point out the software is buggy, I've mentioned it in many HR34 threads, especially to people considering buying it. In the two months it has been out, there has been very little development on the software in the CE realm. It is disappointing to see Directv progressing so slowly with the HR34 software. I posted that I felt they need to get much of their HR2x team working on the HR34.

I speak unbiased information, as you requested, it is simply not in the form of a six-page PDF review. I would love to do a more in-depth dive review, I just haven't had time. Honestly I may have about 20-30 hours of use time on the HR34, it is in my home theater and I simply haven't used it much. Some weeks I turn it on to download the CE on Friday night and realize that I hand't turned it on all week. Guess that makes me not a very good tester.

There has always been a DISH bias here, but that is not the fault at all of the staff. Even when I was on staff a few years ago I remember discussions we had about trying to get Directv involved officially and we came close a few times, but they always pulled back. It does have a lot to do with the other site and their relationship with Directv but in the end that is Directv's choice to make.

Part of this could be the way Directv is operated too. DISH seems to me to be more open with us. It helps that Scott got in contact with Charlie early on and established that relationship.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts