Amp questions

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Okay, I got a calibration date on 10/19, for audio and video, so if i do this I will need to start working on it.

When I bought the Marantz SR6005, it being able to be used as a pre/pro was a bonus and I've cautiously looked at amps in the past. I understand that I'm not underpowered now, with the 98db sensitivity Klipsch I'm running, but there a few good things a dedicated amp brings to the game when watching at higher volumes during a movie for example.

Pretty much in my price range, there is Emotiva and Outlaw. Outlaw has a higher cost, but is made in the Usa by a reputable amp company, where Emotiva is made in China. There is nothing to show Emotiva is any better or worse, so the previous sentence is not really a big factor. I do like the Made in the USA part of the Outlaw, but there are some other things that make me lean towards Outlaw:

Lower THD with with channels driven
Very good cap supply and power supply
Built by ATI
Size; size is an issue for me, and the Emotiva XPA line (200wpc) are bigger and bulkier than the 7125. This is mainly due to the 200wpc vs 125wpc. Emo has a 80wpc amp that is half the price of the 7125 and small, but less power. This is another reason I think the 7125 hits the sweet spot.
Im thinking the 7125 at 125wpc provides more than enough power for the Klipsch, as well as headroom, plus its 7 channels for the future as I add more Klipsch speakers.
In bench testing by Home Theater Mag, with all channels driven, the 7125 actually put out 140wpc at 8ohms. Pretty strong.

So, with all that taken into account, I do not see a reason why the 7125 isnt a good choice at $999. Any input? I'll probably order next week, and plan to setup the 11th of Oct.

I've never used either. Some people swear by them. If there are any boutique shops in your area, check to see if there are any Parasound B-stocks, particularly the 5250. I've seen B-stock as low as 1,200.

S~

Man, that 5250 is a power monster. There is one shop here. I also like the Rotel RMB-1565, very small form factor but its 100x5.

Yeap. I love mine. The Klipsch can handle it. Before the Parasound I had a Rotel 1095. Different sound. Much warmer and not as clean. If you are looking at 125W, I've seen the 5125 go for 700-800. Also, the Marantz MM7055 can be had for around 900.

S~

You might also consider a 7 channel amp for future expansion. Anthem makes a terrific 7-chanel amp for 1,499. The PVA 7 @ 125 watts per channel.

S~

Thats what the Outlaw is, 7x125. By all accounts it's a great model, actually is underrated output wise, and is a smaller for factor that I need. The MM7055, according to HTM, only put out about 108 per channel.

I think being 7 channels, found to be 140wpc when tested, $999 and having a 5 year warranty (as well as being less than 6" tall) makes the Outlaw the #1 draft pick right now.

Jason:

They didn't teach any physics at FSU? ;) Okay, now that I'm done harassing you about that ... Let's handle this objectively.

Determine which speaker is the furthest from your preferred seating location. That will require the most power to reach reference level and what you should power for.

Sound is an inverse square decay function, that so we'll take that in to account in the calculation. Calibration tones are -30dB FS for all primary speakers and -40dB FS. FS = Full Scale signal. dB is 10*log 10 in this context so 10dB = 10x the power.

Now, let's assume that your most distant speaker is 4m away from the preferred seating position. Your seating position is 1/16th the SPL (dB) that it is at 1m (the 98dB value). So let's calculate the numbers for sensitivity at the preferred seat. Log 16 is 1.2, so 10x that is 12dB. You are 12dB down at 4m. Your speakers are a little "odd" being high sensitivity. Not a value judgement, but most speakers have significantly lower sensitity). At the seats, with 1w of input you get 86dB of output. So how much power are you using to reach 75dB. I'm going to cheat and say it's 1/10th of a watt, it's just a fraction under that.

You need to go 1000x that number to reach reference level at the seats.

1000*.1 = 100watts for 4m from the preferred seating.

They taught me some Physics and Calculus at UCF :D

Cheers,

Thanks. Just from the reading and these speakers, I figured 125x7 gets me going for many years. Especially if they actually output around 140wpc as the one test. I see a lot of folks with 200x5 and 300x5, but my gear doesn't warrant that expense.

Its not the gear, but rather the other factors like room size, speaker sensitivity, distance to seats and target SPL that should dictate amplifier power.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Well, thanks to everyone's help, I actually made up my mind to get the 7125, but now there is a speed bump, or more like a brick wall.

A friend, who doesnt not make much money, has found out they have breast cancer and require surgery (removal). Seeing as she had to choose between paying the copay or having her power cut off, we are going to help her out financially. Then, my mother in law who has had 1/2 of each lung removed due to cancer, now has a lump in her breast (been a fun week so far).

With all this going on, and me already committed to having the calibrator for audio and video in late Oct, Im gonna put the $1100 amp on hold for now because I dont know whats coming. If I dont make the amp before the calibration, I will not be buying it for another year I imagine, since Ill have had the Marantz setup/amp calibrated.

As I've pretty much found, the Marantz is plenty for my speakers, the amp was just for more fun :)

Well, thanks to everyone's help, I actually made up my mind to get the 7125, but now there is a speed bump, or more like a brick wall.

A friend, who doesnt not make much money, has found out they have breast cancer and require surgery (removal). Seeing as she had to choose between paying the copay or having her power cut off, we are going to help her out financially. Then, my mother in law who has had 1/2 of each lung removed due to cancer, now has a lump in her breast (been a fun week so far).

With all this going on, and me already committed to having the calibrator for audio and video in late Oct, Im gonna put the $1100 amp on hold for now because I dont know whats coming. If I dont make the amp before the calibration, I will not be buying it for another year I imagine, since Ill have had the Marantz setup/amp calibrated.

As I've pretty much found, the Marantz is plenty for my speakers, the amp was just for more fun :)

Sorry to hear about your friend and mother-in-law. I'm kind of going through something similar right now. For those that are familiar, my wife passed from brain cancer not too long after my youngest was born (now 14). I also lost my uncle and cousin-in-law (same immediate family) to brain cancer. My ex business partner has had brain cancer and a tumor removed about a year ago. He no longer works. Now a colleague has brain cancer, had surgery about two weeks ago. and was just told yesterday that without therapy, she has maybe three weeks, and maybe a month to a year with treatment.

I just picked up a B-stock 2250 from Parasound for 800 to add to one of my systems. Not sure exactly which one yet, but I couldn't pass it up. PErsonally, if were you, I wouln't do the audio.

S~

Sweet. Biopsy confirmed the lump is indeed cancer, and my boss called me today and told me they just found out his wife has lung cancer. I mean WTF?

Picked it up on Saturday. Now to figure out what to do with it. Considering another pair of axioms and putting it in the game room with the Klipsch THXs since that one is only 5.1 right now. I don't feel like spending that kind of money for another pair of surrounds. Besides, that's where the 5250 is.

S~

Parasound makes quality gear, so congrats on your purchase teachsac.

I'm an audiophile heathen as I use "digital" switching amps, B&O IcePower to be precise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts