Amplifier Interference

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rappy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 11, 2004
Sullivan, Maine
I recently hooked up an an ota amplifier to see if it would improve my ota reception.I installed it near the ota connection to a 5/8 multiswitch. On the sets which were served by an analog receiver and which were analog tv sets, the ota signal was good. However, none of the ota local channels worked on the digital tv sets. I can put the amplifier 60 ft closer to the antenna, but before I do so and cut the line, is there a reason that the amplifier is causing a problem by being too close to the multiswitch? Please help.

You may already know this but amplifier does not necessarily increase signal strength but maintains it over long runs usually over 100 feet. First I would check to see if you have the antenna and amplifier plug on the correct side and stand alone. Then see how it connects to the multiswitch. If you still get no signal, try hooking just the amplified antenna to a line that goes to a digital TV. That way you can determine that its your signal to get digital and not something else like the multi-switch.

Your digital channels are not on the same channels as your analog channels. Receiving a clear channel 4 on your analog TV may not mean anything on the digital channels, Our channel 4 digital is actually broadcast on UHF channel 35 so a VHF only amplifier would kill our ch35 signal but would improve the ch4 analog picture. Where are you located and what are you using for an OTA antenna?

A high gain amp will increase your signal from the antenna to the TV. I have one from my attic antenna 60 miles from the transmitters. If you want to feed several devices you may need to use an amplifier to not lose the signal because of the multiple loads. This amp doesn't normally amplify the signal like the high gain amp but keeps the multiple destinations from loading down the signal due to overloading.

I am located near Bangor, Maine. I am using the biggest antenna that Radio Shack makes. IJ have thr4ee receivers, one analog to feed the analog sets, and two HD receivers. With the amplifier hooked up I cannot get ota channels on my digital receivers. Could there possibly be a voltage imbalance through the diplexers to the digital receivers because of the amplifier?

I am located near Bangor, Maine. I am using the biggest antenna that Radio Shack makes. IJ have thr4ee receivers, one analog to feed the analog sets, and two HD receivers. With the amplifier hooked up I cannot get ota channels on my digital receivers. Could there possibly be a voltage imbalance through the diplexers to the digital receivers because of the amplifier?

Directv dosen't make an analog receiver!!!!!!! How about just telling us what model #s you have. All DISH AND Directv receivers are digital feeds. What TV stations are you trying to pick up?:)

The receiver that feeds the analog tvs is a Sony Tivo from about 1998. All the locals come in fine on those sets. However, the HDTVs , one connected to a DirectvHR10-250 and the other to a Directv H20-100, show a blank screen when tuned to an ota channel when the amplifier is hooked up. All receivers receive ota and satellite signals through diplexers. I was wondering if there was a conflict between the amplifier and the ota side of a diplexer. Still, the analog tv sets show a good picture when the amplifier is hooked up. In summary, the only problem is that my two HD receivers do not display an ota picture when the ota amplifier is hooked up.

Your so stingy with information, i used Bangor, Me. 04401 on Antennaweb.org. It shows that WMEB 12.1 is broadcast from Orono,Me. on channel 9 VHF at a distance of 16mi. compas heading of 257. WABI ch 5.1 is from Bangor also compass heading of 257 at a distance of 16 mi. broadcasting on UHF ch 19. These two stations possibly share a broadcast tower. WLBZ 2.1 broadcasts from Bangor, ME. but at a compas heading of 150 about 90 degrees different from the other 2 stations but only 8miles away and uses ch. 25 UHF. WVII 7.1 also from Bangor is at compass heading of 127 and 11 miles broadcasting on CH 14 UHF, at about 130 degrees from the first 2 stations you need a rotor to change the directions the antenna points. Seeing I don't really know where you live this information probably isn't too accurate. Assuming you aren't too far from the city you claim your antenna is probably way to big for your needs and an amplifier is probably overdriving your tuners. AntennaWeb shows you need a red antenna for most of the broadcasts. A good set of rabbit ears may be all you need to get a signal on the H20-100. Your whole problem maybe that you are trying to overcomplicate TV reception.

Wow! You really research a problem. Thanks for your efforts. Actually, I live in Sullivan, about 25 miles from the closest channel and 45 mi from the one most distant, all between 303 and 330 degrees. My ota pulls all the channels in without being rotated. They come in very well on the HD receivers, with channels 2 and 5 a little fuzzy on the analog tvs . I even pull in channel 22( 7-2 digital) which is UHF which most people in my area can't get, but I live on the edge of Taunton Bay and get a bounce signal.

Wow! You really research a problem. Thanks for your efforts. Actually, I live in Sullivan, about 25 miles from the closest channel and 45 mi from the one most distant, all between 303 and 330 degrees. My ota pulls all the channels in without being rotated. They come in very well on the HD receivers, with channels 2 and 5 a little fuzzy on the analog tvs . I even pull in channel 22( 7-2 digital) which is UHF which most people in my area can't get, but I live on the edge of Taunton Bay and get a bounce signal.
Let's see how well I have researched your posts going back to Feb. You have a Channel Master "Gainmaster" 3 LNB dish, a Samsung TS-360 stored in a closet a Sony 1st generation TiVo, an HR10-250 and a H20-100 receiver. A Radio Shack Vu190 160" 57 element VHF/UHF antenna in zip code 04664. Your broadcast stations are 25-45 miles away on a compass heading of 303 to 328 degrees your digital broadcasters use Ch 14/22 &25. The analog broadcasts are 2/5/7 &12 all VHF.

You are using diplexers and a 5X8 multiswitch to bring in your TV signals. Seeing you will need to run separate cables from a 5 LNB dish into the house without diplexers in the next few months. I suggest at the Multiswitch location you put in a 3 way TV splitter and run cables to the three TV locations it looks like you are using. On a 3 way splitter there is usually 1 port marked 3.5dB and 2 marked 7dB run the 3.5dB port to the H20. Do not use the amplifier the TV antenna should capture enough signal to work without it. If you have the connection capabilities put the Samsung TS 360 at the location where the Sony is and use it to tune the Digital signals. It will work without a Directv connection select menu option "no dish". The TS360 dosen't have a CH3/4 output but can be connected with RCA composite connections if the TV has them.:)

Double Wow! Almost totally correct, but when I took the Sammy out of the closet when I got the second HD set, it would not work. It was sent to Dtv in exchange for the H20-100. I have three receivers. The Sony tivo sends a signal to four analog sets via a splitter and Terk Leap Frogs. I doubt that I will opt for local channels from D since I get fine reception on the HD sets. I get Fox, NBC and CBS national feeds. When is Bangor going to be added to the local channel satellite feed? I'm guessing that the national channels will be taken away when they are. Is that correct? If so, I will consider the 5 LNB dish. Thanks again. I will print out your recommendations.

Double Wow! Almost totally correct, but when I took the Sammy out of the closet when I got the second HD set, it would not work. It was sent to Dtv in exchange for the H20-100. I have three receivers. The Sony tivo sends a signal to four analog sets via a splitter and Terk Leap Frogs. I doubt that I will opt for local channels from D since I get fine reception on the HD sets. I get Fox, NBC and CBS national feeds. When is Bangor going to be added to the local channel satellite feed? I'm guessing that the national channels will be taken away when they are. Is that correct? If so, I will consider the 5 LNB dish. Thanks again. I will print out your recommendations.
No information on your local channels coming to directv, but the "100" HD channels forcast for Sept. will require the 5 LNB dish. When Directv sent you the H20 you should have also qualified for the free upgrade to the 5 LNB dish if you are leasing it. Call Directv about your qualification for thr free upgrade on the dish and multiswitch. Seeing it was a replacement for the sammy you may not be leasing it. Good luck.:)

Thanks for the info. As a matter of fact, I am leasing the H20. Darn, I hate losing that Channel Master dish, though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts