Directv singal amplifier ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Lego

Original poster
Jun 18, 2016
Walled lake MI.
I am trying to pick up my local channels from over 200 miles away at my cabin. I have adjusted the dish over and over but just cant get them consistently. Is there any type of line amp i can install to help bring my signal strenth up enough to pickup my down state locals ? All my other channels are fine. Thanks

You can't amplify something that isn't there... The problem is that the satellite signal is to weak to be above the base rf noise level. An amplifier will increase both the target satellite signal and the noise. It is unable to amply only the satellite signal to increase the Signal To Noise ratio.

The only option is to increase the amount of satellite signal received without also increasing the amount of noise. To gather more satellite signal, install a larger diameter dish and single LNBF for the satellite carrying your local channel spot beam. You may need a 3ft dish to provide a reliable lock on signals that are marginal on the standard multi LNBF dish.

Reactions: Jimbo
No. The problem isn't the signal level from the dish. The signals from the satellite are downconverted by the LNB and sent at a different frequency to your receiver. Your problem is that the signal received by the LNB is too weak, and is submerged in the noise, almost certainly the error level is too great for the error correction codes to compensate. It's possible to get a better signal by using a larger dish, like the Alaska-Hawaii dish, but this is very expensive and might still not give you enough gain to get a decent signal.

Greg, you never answered my question in the other thread about signal levels on certain transponders.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts