An attack on tradition: Toomer's Oaks unlikely to survive after poisoning

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
An attack on tradition: Toomer's Oaks unlikely to survive after poisoning | WRBL

The roots of the famous Toomer’s Oaks run deep in the Auburn community.

When fans heard Wednesday afternoon that their beloved trees had been poisoned, they immediately went out to Toomer’s Corner and rolled the leafy landmarks.

“I think it’s pretty obvious that everybody feels pretty awful about it,” Auburn University student Michael Moore said at Toomer’s Corner Wednesday afternoon. “We see [these trees] every day as we walk around campus, and now they’re going to be gone.”

Moore, a sophomore majoring in history, said it wasn’t just the trees that were poisoned, but also a piece of AU history.

“You can’t replace 130 years of heritage that some people’s great-grandparents rolled when they went here,” he said. “You just can’t replace it.”

Kevin Johnson, an industrial engineering senior, feels the same way.

“Honestly, I just don’t understand why somebody would destroy something that is that key to the university,” he said. “ … To me, it’s just crazy that somebody would choose to do that to Auburn.”

On Jan. 27, a caller to “The Paul Finebaum Show,” a sports talk radio show out of Birmingham, claimed he poisoned the live oaks shortly after the Iron Bowl with an herbicide known as Spike 80DF.

The show re-aired the conversation Wednesday. In the call, the man, who goes by “Al in Dadeville,” said he poisoned the trees as retribution for the actions of students who allegedly rolled the College Street/Magnolia Avenue landmarks when legendary University of Alabama coach Paul “Bear” Bryant died.

“The weekend after the Iron Bowl, I went to Auburn, Ala. – I live 30 miles away – and I poisoned the two Toomer’s trees,” the caller said on the show. “I put Spike 80DF in them.”

Show host Finebaum then asked the caller if the trees had died, to which Al in Dadeville responded, “They have not died yet, but they will die.”

When told that poisoning the trees was illegal, the caller said he didn’t care.

He ended the conversation by saying, “Roll Damn Tide.”

From one Alabama fan to another, you sir, are a complete moron.

What a stupid thing to do! He needs to be arrested and thrown in jail.

What a stupid thing to do! He needs to be arrested and thrown in jail.

I agree. I am not sure what charges can be pressed, but they need to do all that they can. Pretty sad excuse for a human in my opinion.
Its a GAME people. I love it as much as anyone, but damn.....

When fans heard Wednesday afternoon that their beloved trees had been poisoned, they immediately went out to Toomer’s Corner and rolled the leafy landmarks.

said he poisoned the trees as retribution for the actions of students who allegedly rolled the College Street/Magnolia Avenue landmarks when legendary University of Alabama coach Paul “Bear” Bryant died.

What the hell does "rolled" mean??

said he poisoned the trees as retribution for the actions of students who allegedly rolled the College Street/Magnolia Avenue landmarks when legendary University of Alabama coach Paul “Bear” Bryant died.

What the hell does "rolled" mean??

It's like rolling someone's yard with toilet paper.

It's Auburn tradition to throw rolls of toilet paper into the trees at Toomer's Corner after winning a football game. The trees are believed to be over 130 years old and the tradition dates back probably close to 100 years. The drug store that the Corner is named for is at least 100 years old.

It's an incredibly malicious action and as a life-long and multi-generational Auburn fan, it's incredibly hurtful for someone to do this. While the rivalry with Alabama can get heated, I appreciate msmith's level-headed and courteous words. I can only hope that the majority of Alabama fans will be so kind.

He better hope this doesnt seep into water supplies, or do more damage beyond the tree itself.

4654343.jpg

From Finebaum's website:

IS THIS 'AL from DADEVILLE' ? TOOMER'S CORNER POISONING: Al from Dadeville claimed, "The weekend after the Iron Bowl I went to Auburn, Alabama, because I live 30 miles away, and I poisoned the 2 Toomer's trees," Auburn Police announced this morning that Harvey Almorn Updyke, 62, from Dadeville, has been charged with Criminal Mischief, bond has been set at $50,000. The caller told Finebaum that he placed the same brand of poison on the trees that Auburn officials say they have determined was used for the poisoning.
Alabaman football fans... :no

Last edited:
4654343.jpg

From Finebaum's website:

Alabaman football fans... :no

Oh come on. As an LSU fan, you know as well as I do that one fan does not make the whole fan base.

This guy is a "fan" extremist, and I for one am with the Barn in anger over it.

Football is a religion in this state, and radical jihad behavior of either side is a pretty common occurrence.

I know plenty of fans of both teams who are completely peaceful and normal however. Bottom line, this guy was a nut.

I've said it here many times before with some of you. Its just sports. Some people like this guy take it too far..... morons. All morons. Get a life.

Football is a religion in this state, and radical jihad behavior of either side is a pretty common occurrence.

I know plenty of fans of both teams who are completely peaceful and normal however. Bottom line, this guy was a nut.

Oh I agree. There are some pretty intense moments between the fan bases. Most of it is harmless however. It is part of what makes the rivalry so much fun.
This was simply over the line. WAY over the line.

Oh I agree. There are some pretty intense moments between the fan bases. Most of it is harmless however. It is part of what makes the rivalry so much fun.
This was simply over the line. WAY over the line.

I remember a Denver Broncos game where fans through D-batteries at Raider players entering the stadium.

People really take it way too seriously.