An easy answer to this mess....revolt

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
Guys come on now! Strength in numbers!

Are you guys gonna put up with this sh&t ? Agree to an 18 month committment for the privilage of paying 300 bucks for a 622 so you can pay additional lease fees for programming that might sound good but the price was increased and the quality diluted to HD lite? Why reward them for this?
From these message boards there are obviously alot of pissed off E* customers. Myself included. Why give in? If everyone stood their ground and no one was extorted, they would have to change. I myself am staying put with the buggy 811 till the dust settles. I just bought an awesome LG upconverting DVD player/Atsc tuner for HD locals. When you relly think about it, I bet most people watch locals in HD more than Sat anyway. Stick together...dont give in. Explore other options like cable since there is no committment. If everyone bailed for a few months, they would get the message. I remember when I started with E* , I paid 19.99 for AT60 now Im paying 65 bucks for this crap. The SD quality is horrible on the 811 but HD is nice.
Screw E*. Customer service sucks too. Im done recommending them too. I Pity the poor guys with a 942 who paid big bucks and now its just a big paper weight.

Even though I was planning on going to an HD/DVR when the MPEG4 units came out, they E* package is a rip-off, so I won't. I'm standing pat w/ my 811 and $10/month HDPak on an AT120 plus locals package until Dish forces a decision or I work out a good deal with Comcast. My gut feeling is I'll be out of E* by mid-summer and I've been a sub since 1999.

Carl B said:
Even though I was planning on going to an HD/DVR when the MPEG4 units came out, they E* package is a rip-off, so I won't. I'm standing pat w/ my 811 and $10/month HDPak on an AT120 plus locals package until Dish forces a decision or I work out a good deal with Comcast. My gut feeling is I'll be out of E* by mid-summer and I've been a sub since 1999.

I agree. Screw Dish. I have a 942 and 811 and will keep both , and my AT60 plus Voom pkg. I have HD NET/ Monsters and ESPN, etc. I will wait and see what Directv has to offer later this year.

robertjp said:
I Pity the poor guys with a 942 who paid big bucks and now its just a big paper weight.

Dude, bash Dish all you want (God knows, they deserve it more each day) - but don't hate on the 942: this MPEG4 fiasco hasn't reduced the value of mine 1 cent. I don't subscribe to any Dish HD (except HBO and Showtime), but I use the crap out of the 3 tuners (seems like there are always two or three shows I want to see that are on at the same time), and NBR is the bomb (especially now that "New Episodes" finally, really means New Episodes). And the near 300 hours of SD capacity means I can record stuff all during the summer and hang onto to it for watching during the winter.

942 Good. Dish Bad.

robertjp said:

Are you guys gonna put up with this sh&t ? Agree to an 18 month committment for the privilage of paying 300 bucks for a 622 so you can pay additional lease fees for programming that might sound good but the price was increased and the quality diluted to HD lite? Why reward them for this?
From these message boards there are obviously alot of pissed off E* customers. Myself included. Why give in? If everyone stood their ground and no one was extorted, they would have to change. I myself am staying put with the buggy 811 till the dust settles. I just bought an awesome LG upconverting DVD player/Atsc tuner for HD locals. When you relly think about it, I bet most people watch locals in HD more than Sat anyway. Stick together...dont give in. Explore other options like cable since there is no committment. If everyone bailed for a few months, they would get the message. I remember when I started with E* , I paid 19.99 for AT60 now Im paying 65 bucks for this crap. The SD quality is horrible on the 811 but HD is nice.
Screw E*. Customer service sucks too. Im done recommending them too. I Pity the poor guys with a 942 who paid big bucks and now its just a big paper weight.
Good luck. I've tried to sell people here on soladarity many times but it never goes anywhere.
Many are way too "self absorbed" to ever get behind any kind of movement that goes beyond their own immediate concern (sonnyboy11 is a classic example).
Others start out talking a good talk and then go quiet for a while, then all of a sudden they're posting about the latest & greates receiver they've "aquired" and Dish is "ok" again.
Gaining any kind of power and influence over a company like Dish requires more than big numbers, it also requires that you be willing to sacrifice short term to gain long term. Very few have what it takes to even start that, much less stick it out for any length of time.
It's still a good idea, I just don't think enough here have the balls for it.

If I only owned one 921 or 942, I would be quite happy. I would call up on April 1st, pay the $99 upgrade fee (after rebate) and get my 622 installed.

However, since I have a 942, two 921's and an 811, I will be jumping ship very soon. There is no way Im wating three more years to swap out all of my receivers.

Verizon FiOS TV will be available here within the next few weeks and I will be one of the first installed.

Walt, I may not be as avid about your cause, but I hear ya man. Also, StevenD, the multi-receiver issue is a problem Dish needs to get fixed. I am going to wait until April. It's not easy, especially with Dish getting all "wobbly" about giving us the Olympics in MPEG2 HD, like he said they would (I know, Charlie's said a lot of things that never came true), but I'm just not going to lay out the cash it will take to cover two HD televisions. Dish needs to realize that there are people out here with more than one HDTV. I'm hoping that my waiting will help the cause of those that are boycotting.

If you're unhappy, by all means, you should leave. Best thing you can do is your research. Dish will hear the sound of people leaving.

No mass revolt is required. Each individual should make the decision and pick the provider that is best for them.

May the Best Provider Win......

C'mon, Walt & Robert. It's an interest group, not a labor union. If you don't like the E* options, leave. That's your right as a Capitalist consumer. Me, I'm not a joiner. I follow my own path. E*'s HD upgrade offer fits me just fine. See ya.

I'm going to keep my 811 and wait things out too. I'm a little curious about the 18 month commitment though. Makes me wonder if something isn't in the works for the other providers. I'd heard before that eventually VOOM will offer its services to other carriers. Don't know if I want to be locked in for a year and a half if better deals may come along. Not to mention HD DVD and BluRay out there.

The HD path that E* is pushing just doesn't seem like a good deal for us at all. With the coming rate increase, coupled with the HD upgrade, we're just not getting enough value for what we pay. The negatives far out weigh the positives. It seems the smart thing to do is wait.
Bubba04

robertjp said:

Explore other options like cable since there is no committment.

I Pity the poor guys with a 942 who paid big bucks and now its just a big paper weight.

Strength in numbers? I agree with the sentiment that if you don't like it, quit! The number of people that read (let alone post) this forum represent a tiny fraction of DISH customers.

Cable? It was the freakin' cable companies and their lack of service and product that made me jump to DISH some 9 years ago! Go ahead, enjoy cable and let us know what you think in a year.

My 942 still works incredibly well, thank you (including SD). I use my owned 3900 and 4900 receivers for paperweights. I'm now just patiently waiting for my chance to increase the amount of HD content I can get by upgrading when the product is available.

CB

Dish's strategy is obviously to compete for the more affluent customer, which, with involuntary semi-retirement, I am no longer. I can handle a few bucks a year more each year, but not $299 up front for a leased unit and about $20/month more than I currently pay for only about 3 additional HD channels that I even care to get. It is the huge increase in monthly cost that sinks the deal for me. Of course the monthly for Comcast will be about the same, but at least I wouldn't have to come up with $299 at the beginning and no minimum contract.

waltinvt said:
Good luck. I've tried to sell people here on soladarity many times but it never goes anywhere.
Many are way too "self absorbed" to ever get behind any kind of movement that goes beyond their own immediate concern (sonnyboy11 is a classic example).
Others start out talking a good talk and then go quiet for a while, then all of a sudden they're posting about the latest & greates receiver they've "aquired" and Dish is "ok" again.
Gaining any kind of power and influence over a company like Dish requires more than big numbers, it also requires that you be willing to sacrifice short term to gain long term. Very few have what it takes to even start that, much less stick it out for any length of time.
It's still a good idea, I just don't think enough here have the balls for it.

Walt I have read all of your posts and the replies as well and I just wanted to say that I`m with you on all except I did not start an electric mail tirade {at least not too much of one toward E* :) } but I got so pissed-off I called E* canceled and went with a alternative provider and so far quite happy with the switch.Then as you said you get a few as a fellow poster called them " dish-bots" on another thread like the smart-a$$ above who is probably hired by E* to keep the pot stirred on these forums as we know there are several hired to do just that.So no matter how many seem to be making stupid comments,there are far more who feel the same as you do in regards too this latest circus act provided by Charlie and his puppet Jim.So good luck Walt hope something works out 4U while deciding what providers work best for not only yourself but the others who got the rub from E*.

Last edited:
StevenD said:
If I only owned one 921 or 942, I would be quite happy. I would call up on April 1st, pay the $99 upgrade fee (after rebate) and get my 622 installed.

However, since I have a 942, two 921's and an 811, I will be jumping ship very soon. There is no way Im wating three more years to swap out all of my receivers.

Verizon FiOS TV will be available here within the next few weeks and I will be one of the first installed.

StevenD - Luv your avatar :) that is great !!!!!!!!

I canceled my Dish after my monthly bill went up by 5 bucks. I leased the 942 and was happy with the unit but I only got it for supplemental HD after Voom sat service went down. The new channels requiring a new unit, the 5 buck increase, the packages to get HD just broke the bank. If Dish was all I had, not terribly bad but I dont like what they are doing for folks to get HD. Heck, I only watch 3 SD channels outside of my OTA HD locals and HD channels. Tell me why I have to pay close to 40 bucks for 3 channels?

Robert, I'm leaving to.. I've already contacted D*. My monthly bill will go down and in my area, they will be adding locals in HD where as E* doesn't have any plans to in all of 2006. I might have got lucky with the CSR at D*, but she was awsome, she actually knew what she was talking about. Told me all about what was coming including price increases, etc. The only negitive I could find in compairing was no TNT HD, but I would trade that for FOX, NBC, and ABC any day of the week and all for less money a month.

emu1 said:
Robert, I'm leaving to.. I've already contacted D*. My monthly bill will go down and in my area, they will be adding locals in HD where as E* doesn't have any plans to in all of 2006. I might have got lucky with the CSR at D*, but she was awsome, she actually knew what she was talking about. Told me all about what was coming including price increases, etc. The only negitive I could find in compairing was no TNT HD, but I would trade that for FOX, NBC, and ABC any day of the week and all for less money a month.

Sarting next week on the 17th,TNT-HD will be added to the HD lineup offered by D*

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=55694

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)