An HDTV Reciever with an Standard analog TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hdtvtechno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I never got a chance to hook up or see an Directv HD receiver hooked up to an standard analog tv

how will the HD programming look on the analog tv, will the picture be cropped off the screen ?
I know i have to set the HD reciever to the 4x3 aspect ratio

want to try hooking it up in my bedroom
dont have an satellite line cable yet there and its a pain to log the heavy tv to living room just to check..

P.S it will be connected via standard red white & yellow cables, maybe s-video cables

The output on composite and Svideo will automatically be 4 X 3.

If it is a good TV, it will look pretty darn good. That's what I'm doing on my TV in the kitchen.

If you set it to 4:3 (it's not automatic on my HR21), SD channels will look normal and for HD you will be able to choose with the format button:

1) Cropped (sides cut off to make 4:3 picture) generally showing the same picture as the SD version.
2) Stretched vertically to fill the screen
3) Letterboxed

There is a fourth choice, original format or something like that, which looks stretched on my old Sony.

The output on composite and Svideo will automatically be 4 X 3.

If it is a good TV, it will look pretty darn good. That's what I'm doing on my TV in the kitchen.

I'm doing the same thing, but my problem is that the two rooms are close enough that my HDTV and my kitchen SDTV process the audio at a slightly different rates so if I have both on, I get a stadium-like echo effect.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)