An Iceberg sighting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The landlord is coming by on Saturday so I can show him in regards to maybe getting the KU dish up.

I lucked out with the antenna as there was a tripod on the roof. Sure the bolts were rusted so had to replace them but I could get my antenna up. This one I have to try and figure out the best option. I dont think a pole would work for the full arc. Roof would be easier so we'll see

If he says no I'm not gonna rock the boat......at least for a while ;)

Thank you for your service and patience. You put up with far more stupid questions than anyone should have to, I know I had more than my fair share of them.
You were always helpful and patient and I really appreciate all you did here.

It’s good to see you’re back, you have a lot of good knowledge to share with folks.

:)

Thanks Dee

By the way....Did you ever set up an antenna to pick up This TV from KPLC in Lake Charles? I read about a month ago KIPS (channel 6 in Beaumont) was sold and switched to religious stuff (they supposedly were ThisTV too).

Thanks Dee

By the way....Did you ever set up an antenna to pick up This TV from KPLC in Lake Charles? I read about a month ago KIPS (channel 6 in Beaumont) was sold and switched to religious stuff (they supposedly were ThisTV too).

Oh bummer about KIPS... :(
I wasn’t aware of what was happening with that.

As for an antenna, no, I haven’t had a chance yet to upgrade to a larger, better antenna.
There is an old saying “I’m up to my a** in alligators” and that’s pretty much been the situation for the past 6 months.
The tuner card in my PC is failing and needs to be replaced and that will run me about the same as a big antenna.
But then there are the 2 dozen other things that are broken down or about to going on all at the same time.

When it rains, it pours and I’m just overwhelmed with it all.

I’m at a point where I’ve just thrown my hands up in the air and sit down to cry.
There aren’t enough hours in the day or money in my bank account to deal with everything.
I really can only fix one thing per month, I can only spare about $100 each month towards fixing broken stuff and I had to eliminate my “fun money” spending.

I sure do miss ThisTV..
When I can afford to get a bigger antenna I’ll be able to get KPRC-DT2 (This) and KIAH-DT2 (Antenna) out of Houston.
I sort of can already but it cuts out a lot and is really unusable. But since I can mostly get them with my current antenna (and preamp) I feel confident a bigger antenna would do the job.
What’s odd is that I can’t get KPLC at all, not even a little bit. My dad can though and quite reliably. He has a much bigger antenna and it’s like 10 feet higher than mine is.
I’m sure there are some LOS issues too. I’m thinking that the Houston towers are WAAAAAAAAAAY taller and way more powerful than the Lake Charles tower.

I also need to get my 1.8m Prodelin converted to C-band so I can get RTV now that they left 83w. :( That was a real bummer..

Another project I need to get busy on is putting in, testing and reviewing a dual output KU PLL LNB that was sent to me for evaluation.
But for that I need to replace my failing PC card. I guess I should do that first and meet my obligation then worry about the TV antenna in June.

Soooooooo much to do.. Not enough coffee or time to get it all done in this lifetime.. Sigh...

Anyway, welcome back.. :)

Oh bummer about KIPS... :(
I wasn’t aware of what was happening with that.
reading from avs back in February they got the OK to upgrade from 500 watts to 3000 watts which they did...about a week later an app has been filed for transfer of control for both KIPS (RF 6) and KOPS (RF 50) from the Proctor Group to Abraham Telecasing (the owner of KVVV-LD in Houston which has 10 religious channles on it)...and was approved a month ago

I sure do miss ThisTV..
When I can afford to get a bigger antenna I’ll be able to get KPRC-DT2 (This) and KIAH-DT2 (Antenna) out of Houston.
I sort of can already but it cuts out a lot and is really unusable. But since I can mostly get them with my current antenna (and preamp) I feel confident a bigger antenna would do the job.
probably. Although height does play into it too.
What’s odd is that I can’t get KPLC at all, not even a little bit. My dad can though and quite reliably. He has a much bigger antenna and it’s like 10 feet higher than mine is.
thats part of it. KPLC is still on VHF (7) so the bigger the VHF portion of the antenna is the better reception will be. When dealing with a distant station height makes the difference.

I’m sure there are some LOS issues too. I’m thinking that the Houston towers are WAAAAAAAAAAY taller and way more powerful than the Lake Charles tower.
but if you're talking about ThisTV its hard to compare apples to apples as the Houston ThisTV affiliate is on UHF whereas Lake Charles is on VHF. VHF does travel further.
Looking at the FCC stuff tower wise is only 400 feet (1900 feet for Houston to 1500 feet for Lake Charles) but coverage maps show KPLC should reach Baumont (with the right antenna) whereas Houston comes up short.

Thats the one thing I miss where I am now. I lost all the subchannels I had in Minneapolis (This, Antenna, LiveWell, Weather, Bounce, Movies! and Zuus Country). The only subchannel I have now is MeTV (well CW & MY are subchannels too).

The landlord is coming by on Saturday so I can show him in regards to maybe getting the KU dish up.

Hope he say's ok. Welcome back Ice!

Landlord came by to fix something and we spoke about it. I showed him some pics I had of the dish and stuff (mainly stuff I posted here) and he preferred I didn't because he said the roof was replaced about a year or so ago and he didnt want any more holes in it (which I understand). I guess that old rusted tripod they put back up after ;)

I'm going to do some site surveys to see how well line of site would be on a pole or maybe a non penetrating mount that I can leave on the yard. :)

oh well....didnt say anything about the C-Band dish ;)

Roll 'er out (cband dish). Well if you can plant things in the ground all is good. Jeez if you live closer to Darrington Washington I have a NPRM, shipping would suck. Keep us posted on your adventure.

Roll 'er out (cband dish).
I'm going to do the survey part first to see where and how much of the arc I would get.

Well if you can plant things in the ground all is good.
yeah I was thinking a pole mount. After all there are trees in the yard so cutting grass would be like going around another tree (and I have to cut the grass)

Keep us posted on your adventure.
will do!

Iceberg said:
I'm going to do the survey part first to see where and how much of the arc I would get.

yeah I was thinking a pole mount. After all there are trees in the yard so cutting grass would be like going around another tree (and I have to cut the grass)

will do!

Drag that cband dish out and try out the c1-PLL :)

What about a pole In a bucket of concert?

The C-Band dish is at my dads in parts.
I really don't want to try a motorized dish in a bucket of concrete mainly because of the winds...and the ground isn't flat ;)

Well the first thing is to get the snow off the ground first :)

The C-Band dish is at my dads in parts.
I really don't want to try a motorized dish in a bucket of concrete mainly because of the winds...and the ground isn't flat ;)

Well the first thing is to get the snow off the ground first :)

Hi Brother. Good to know you still kickin. When you left I did too. If I can do anything for ya LMK. I have boxes fulla stuff here. :)

It is different because Duluth is a much smaller market than Minneapolis OTA wise. Minneapolis has 9 full powered stations with all 7 nets (big 4, ion, cw, my) and PBS. They also have as subchannels Me, This, Antenna, Movies!, Bounce, WeatherNation, Zuus Country, Live Well and the full Ion mux. Well in Duluth we have 6 full power stations. Big 4, PBS and ironically a AMGTV affiliate. Subchannels are MeTV (off ABC), CW+ (off CBS), My (off NBC). None on Fox (they're CHEAP). It was weird going from around 50 OTA channels down to 12. But at least I have MeTV and AMG of all things OTA.

an update
This weekend when I'm back in the cities I'm going to put a basic antenna on the Directv dish at my moms house and bring one of my Tivos there (I have 2 of them) to record stuff on the subchannels that I dont get in Duluth (and Ring of Honor wrestling that I can't get either) :)
And when I'm down there during the summer I can burn through the episodes or just swap out Tivos :)

Reactions: Stargazer
Hey, Iceberg! I always enjoy reading your posts. They are so helpful and easy to understand. Sorry about the treatment. I know that had to hurt. Hope you get ur FTA back up there. E_V

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)