Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Yes I am still alive. I've just decided to just not be here anymore. I saw a few posts wondering where I have been, what happened (why I am no longer staff) and why I had changed my avatar. So I figured since I had some time I'll answer them

The simplest answer as to "what happened" is I was let go because I changed the title of a thread back to what it was originally and apparently that irked the "higher ups". There was a thread in another area of the site (some of you can see that area, some can't) about a change made to the site in general and I guess the "higher ups" didn't like the title so it was changed. I thought the "higher up" was messing with who wrote the thread so I changed it back and that was it. The next morning I get a PM thanking me but letting me know that my services as staff were not needed due to "my actions".

Why did I change my avatar to Bruiser Brody immediately after that? Hate to say it but to use a similarity Bruiser Brody was killed years ago and being let go from here as staff kinda made me feel like Iceberg was killed. I know it sounds goofy but that is how I felt and that's why I left and stopped posting. I was staff for over 9 years. When I started here there was no free to air section. It was "general satellite". Then Scott created the free to air section and after a month or so he asked myself and someone else (who is no longer here) to be mods of the free to air area. And off it went to make it what I felt was the best FTA site out there. And even though I no longer had FTA due to moving into an apartment I still checked it out to see if anything new was happening. Oh and on a side note whoever said that if I was dating someone half my age it was jailbait (hence the reason I change the avatar...was a midlife crisis)..no it wouldn't be. I'm 38 ;)
I did switch it to good old Doc Scott because he can still make me laugh.....I can still hear him yelling "GIT ON THE TELEPHONE"

Now then as to what I have been up to....well lets see. I changed jobs and moved back near Duluth, MN (where I lived for a few years previously). I got rid of Directv (I hate that word cord cutter because if you have cable internet you still have a cord in my mind.) due to really not needing it anymore. I had posted numerous times in the Directv area that if I wasn't in the apartment (where all I paid was the DVR fee and HD fee...the programming was included in rent) and actually paid a full bill I would have cancelled it a long time ago. Well when I moved I cancelled and went over the air only with my Tivo. It is different because Duluth is a much smaller market than Minneapolis OTA wise. Minneapolis has 9 full powered stations with all 7 nets (big 4, ion, cw, my) and PBS. They also have as subchannels Me, This, Antenna, Movies!, Bounce, WeatherNation, Zuus Country, Live Well and the full Ion mux. Well in Duluth we have 6 full power stations. Big 4, PBS and ironically a AMGTV affiliate. Subchannels are MeTV (off ABC), CW+ (off CBS), My (off NBC). None on Fox (they're CHEAP). It was weird going from around 50 OTA channels down to 12. But at least I have MeTV and AMG of all things OTA. Maybe I'll talk to the landlord and see if I can put up the free to air KU system...but first we have to get rid of this snowpack. Just got 14" of snow Thursday night into Friday. Ugh!

So there is an Iceberg update. Why did I decide to post it here? Well for 9 years the free to air section was really my "home" here at satelliteguys and the long time FTA'ers are kinda like an extended "family" to me.

I'll see ya around
-Berg

Glad you checked in! You have been missed! The FTA forum isn't the same without your posts and guidance.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help get your FTA system up and running.

Don't be a stranger!!!

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Glad to see you again here, was wondering what was up with you. Oh and I just love that Old Doc Avatar :D

All I can say is WOW!! In my mind you were THE BEST Staff member because you patiently helped both the newbies and the not so newbie.

i would like to thank you for all the great help I personally got from you over the years!! You should be commended for all your time and effort - - - and excellent FTA support.

Like Brian said - - - Don't be a Stranger!

Many Thanks for your dedicated years of service!!! :up

Tony, you were on our mind this week as we were on the SatelliteGuys cruise. I know you opted for the cash but we still would have loved it to have you here on board with us.

We even toasted you from here on board! Hope you heard it up there in the land of white.

Glad to hear you are doing well but shocked to hear you cut the cord!

As you know there were a few reasons why you were removed besides just the reason you mentioned above. Removing you from staff was one of the hardest things I had to do since starting the site.

As I told you before I said who knows what the future holds, just look at all the changes you have been through just in the past few months.

Like Brian said don't be a stranger. :) I have smiled each time I saw your name in the who's online list over the past couple of months. It's good having you here.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

All I can say is WOW!! In my mind you were THE BEST Staff member because you patiently helped both the newbies and the not so newbie.

i would like to thank you for all the great help I personally got from you over the years!! You should be commended for all your time and effort - - - and excellent FTA support.

Like Brian said - - - Don't be a Stranger!

Many Thanks for your dedicated years of service!!! :up

Double D dittos from me.

Thanks for all the help you gave to me (and others), you are missed.

WOW, You are part of the frame work here since I have been here. It won't be the same without you sitting on the side lines keeping people in check and giving great support! Since I have been here you have helped a great deal! Stay with us here and keep updated and lend a hand when you can.

Thanks for all you have done!

Well, sometimes things do happen and people come and go as their lives change and that doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is at 'fault'. Things can happen in a way that both parties regret it but that is simply life sometimes.

GOOD TO HEAR FROM ICEBERG YOU ALWAY HELP ME WHEN I NEED IT. GLAD SEEING YOUR POSTS.

Well, sometimes things do happen and people come and go as their lives change and that doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is at 'fault'. Things can happen in a way that both parties regret it but that is simply life sometimes.

Hey I love Iceberg... and I miss him in the staff area and online. I would smile when I see his name in the whos online list. I want Iceberg here and I hope someday perhaps someday he can be staff again. I have no problems says he was and is our best member. (Sorry MSmith) I think of Tony as the Bret Hart of SatelliteGuys... The Best the Was, The Best there is, and the Best there ever will be. :)

I took a look at what Tony wrote and say it as a positive as he has gone through a lot of changes in his life since he left us as staff many months ago. (And I got PM's from people wondering why he was removed while I was on vacation, he was not this happened many months ago... so why are you just noticing and ating concerned now.) :D

For whats its worth, I have been the target of iceberg, like disappearing posts, I remember the 4:2:2 topic that my comment disappeared from, no explanation as to why. I was also under a different name way back when and he took things a bit too personally. I for one am glad he was relieved of his powers. I have made complaints in the past about his actions. Many of you may have not experienced any of this stuff I mention. That's all I have to say. I apologize for getting this out. If it needs to be removed, so be it.

Just my 2¢
so why are you just noticing and ating concerned now.)
I think, because at the time, it appeared to most that it was voluntary. Now there is 'new light' on the subject and a new 'tangent' to the story.

When Iceberg was removed from staff there was a post instructing us not to talk about it or ask questions.

With that said, it is good to hear from you Iceberg & your account of what happened. Hope the world is treating you well.

Btw I made the comment about the gf 1/2 your age would be jb.....sorry bout that. A few yrs ago I'd been right. ;)

Good to hear from you iceberg,hope the snow melts soon!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes I am still alive. I've just decided to just not be here anymore. I saw a few posts wondering where I have been, what happened (why I am no longer staff) and why I had changed my avatar. So I figured since I had some time I'll answer them

The simplest answer as to "what happened" is I was let go because I changed the title of a thread back to what it was originally and apparently that irked the "higher ups". There was a thread in another area of the site (some of you can see that area, some can't) about a change made to the site in general and I guess the "higher ups" didn't like the title so it was changed. I thought the "higher up" was messing with who wrote the thread so I changed it back and that was it. The next morning I get a PM thanking me but letting me know that my services as staff were not needed due to "my actions".

Why did I change my avatar to Bruiser Brody immediately after that? Hate to say it but to use a similarity Bruiser Brody was killed years ago and being let go from here as staff kinda made me feel like Iceberg was killed. I know it sounds goofy but that is how I felt and that's why I left and stopped posting. I was staff for over 9 years. When I started here there was no free to air section. It was "general satellite". Then Scott created the free to air section and after a month or so he asked myself and someone else (who is no longer here) to be mods of the free to air area. And off it went to make it what I felt was the best FTA site out there. And even though I no longer had FTA due to moving into an apartment I still checked it out to see if anything new was happening. Oh and on a side note whoever said that if I was dating someone half my age it was jailbait (hence the reason I change the avatar...was a midlife crisis)..no it wouldn't be. I'm 38 ;)
I did switch it to good old Doc Scott because he can still make me laugh.....I can still hear him yelling "GIT ON THE TELEPHONE"

Now then as to what I have been up to....well lets see. I changed jobs and moved back near Duluth, MN (where I lived for a few years previously). I got rid of Directv (I hate that word cord cutter because if you have cable internet you still have a cord in my mind.) due to really not needing it anymore. I had posted numerous times in the Directv area that if I wasn't in the apartment (where all I paid was the DVR fee and HD fee...the programming was included in rent) and actually paid a full bill I would have cancelled it a long time ago. Well when I moved I cancelled and went over the air only with my Tivo. It is different because Duluth is a much smaller market than Minneapolis OTA wise. Minneapolis has 9 full powered stations with all 7 nets (big 4, ion, cw, my) and PBS. They also have as subchannels Me, This, Antenna, Movies!, Bounce, WeatherNation, Zuus Country, Live Well and the full Ion mux. Well in Duluth we have 6 full power stations. Big 4, PBS and ironically a AMGTV affiliate. Subchannels are MeTV (off ABC), CW+ (off CBS), My (off NBC). None on Fox (they're CHEAP). It was weird going from around 50 OTA channels down to 12. But at least I have MeTV and AMG of all things OTA. Maybe I'll talk to the landlord and see if I can put up the free to air KU system...but first we have to get rid of this snowpack. Just got 14" of snow Thursday night into Friday. Ugh!

So there is an Iceberg update. Why did I decide to post it here? Well for 9 years the free to air section was really my "home" here at satelliteguys and the long time FTA'ers are kinda like an extended "family" to me.

I'll see ya around
-Berg

Hey Tony,
It's good to see you again ...
Thanks for the update, I haven't heard from you in a while, didn't know you moved (again :eek:) ...
Seeing PM's are not an option ... :(
You have my email, drop me a line ... do you still have the same email we've corresponded with in the past ?

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.