An open letter to ESPN/ABC Sports President George Bodenheimer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
It's Time for Some Changes at ESPN --FanHouse

o Milton Kent
o Sports Media Writer

An open letter to ESPN/ABC Sports President George Bodenheimer:

Dear Mr. Bodenheimer,

As the leader of the self-proclaimed "Worldwide Leader in Sports," not to
mention one of the most powerful men in two industries (sports and
broadcasting), you probably think you don't need much advice in running your
company.

Maybe you're right. After all, ESPN is the dominant force in sports media and
has been for a generation. There are literally millions of sports fans who can't
imagine life without your television channels, your radio network, your website,
your magazine, your award shows and your restaurants.

OK, so the restaurants didn't quite work out so well, but that's still an
impressive record of success you have there. You guys have a hand in every nook
and cranny of sports, and it is an extraordinary empire you lord over, to be
sure.

But like every good empire, it's showing signs of decay, signs you might not be
able or willing to detect from your castle in Bristol, Conn. There is growing
unrest among the sports masses, and it's not just coming from the handful of
nattering nabobs of negativism in sports media that don't work for you.

More and more, fans are expressing dissatisfaction not only with your product,
but with how it's delivered. The sense I get from a lot of people is that they
take in your product not because they want to, but because they have to. You
guys are sort of like a utility, in that everyone has to use your services, but
no one's especially thrilled about it. In the long run, that's not where you
want to be.

The phrase "Must See TV," in its best sense, stems from providing shows and
content that consumers take in because they're compelling, not because they're
forced down their throat.

The easy thing for you to do, of course, would be to sit back, watch the profits
roll in, and dismiss the criticism as so much chirping from the uninformed.

It would be easy, but it would also open the door to competition. One of the
more open secrets in the industry is that once the NBC Universal/Comcast merger
goes through, the Versus channel is going to be molded into something that could
go head-to-head with ESPN.

Being the astute leader you are, I'm guessing that you don't want to give anyone
reason to seek out a worthy, well-funded challenger with the distribution of
Comcast, the leading cable operator.

What follows, George (and I can call you George, right?) is a list of changes –
some subtle, some not
– that you might consider making at ESPN.

The Decision should have been 'No':

It's been a little over a week since LeBron James made
known his choice to "take his talents to South Beach" with the Miami Heat this
fall. In case you hadn't noticed, his method of delivering The Decision --
namely a one-hour special -- didn't go over so well.

But while James has understandably taken most of the, um, heat, your channel,
which gave him the forum to deliver the news, as it were, has been taking on the
chin too, albeit to a lesser degree.

And while the numbers (10 million viewers) suggest that you did the right thing,
people in your newsroom would tell you that the James special might turn out to
be the most embarrassing moment in the more than 30-year history of ESPN.

How bad was The Decision, from both yours and James' vantage point? Consider
these words, uttered earlier this week: "But this decision was
ill?conceived, barely produced and poorly executed."

That didn't come from a Cleveland columnist or a New York media critic, but from
NBA commissioner David Stern, the ultimate marketer, and while the
"ill-conceived" part clearly was aimed at James, the rest was likely fired right
at your company.

Just to recap: You cannot hand over an hour of time to someone that you cover.
You cannot let that person dictate where the proceeds from that hour will go,
and you cannot let that person make the call on who will interview him.

At some point, George, you, and not one of your lieutenants, need to come
forward and apologize for what happened last Thursday and pledge that, under
your watch, it will never happen again, ratings be damned.

Bring back "SportsCenter":

You say "SportsCenter" never went anywhere? You'd have a hard time convincing
anyone who watched the show in the 1980s or '90s that the current edition has
any connection to what they used to watch, besides the name.

"SportsCenter" is the rock upon which your church is built, the first place, in
theory, where people tune in to find out what happened. However, its reputation
has been sullied by the fact that it too often has become a promotional vehicle
for whatever event is coming up. To wit, the three hours before The Decision.

How about if you stick to news and highlights, get rid of the product-sponsored
segment (a la the "Coors Light Six-Pack") and leave the extraneous
interpretations and commentaries to the sport-intensive shows ("NFL Live,"
"Baseball Tonight," et al)?

Oh, and lose the screaming guitar music beds underneath the highlights. This
ain't MTV.

Lose the attitude:

NFL reporter John Clayton is one of the best in the business, and provides
quality information to viewers/listeners on a regular basis. So, why should such
a respected man be regularly subjected to having someone yell insults at him?

This is standard practice on "SportsCenter" and all the sport-intensive shows,
where every subject becomes a debate topic and the screaming commences between
analysts after the host throws out the question.

It turns those shows into low-rent versions of CNN's "Crossfire," and if we're
lucky, Jon Stewart will come on and kill those shows the way he did that
monstrosity.

Branding is for sodas and cows, not sports channels:

We know that the letters in ESPN don't stand for anything anymore, but that
hasn't stopped some wags from imagining that it means Endlessly Self Promoting
Network.

In hindsight, we should have known that we were in for the relentless
attempt to turn ESPN into a brand 15 years ago when Disney, the ultimate in self
promotion, bought ABC, your parent company.

On the morning the sale was announced, then-Disney CEO Michael Eisner went on
"Good Morning America" to affirm that the most important part of the sale was
ESPN.

In the nearly 12 years since you completed your meteoric rise from the mailroom
to the boardroom, George, you've endorsed the approach to never miss a chance to
hype your company, often attempting to make ESPN more important than the sports
it covers.

For goodness sakes, you wiped out the most prestigious name in sportscasting,
ABC Sports
, a name that was home to such revered broadcasters as Jim McKay,
Keith Jackson, Chris Schenkel and Howard Cosell, and replaced it with ESPN's.

This strategy may be smart marketing, but it's wearying, because sports aren't a
commodity like sodas or hamburgers. Or at least they shouldn't be.

Leave the manufacturing to GM or Honda:

Before last Thursday, the previous nadir at ESPN was the November, 2005 days
where former New York Mets general manager Steve Phillips, who currently works
here at FanHouse, pretended to be the GM of different teams and fielded
questions about their respective needs from real reporters.

Come to think of it, that's really no worse than the ESPY Awards, the
annual attempt to marry the red carpet with the red zone, as if the two need to
be joined.

By chance, who was in the meeting when poker was deemed to be a "sport"
warranting extensive time? And why, when the suggestion was made, didn't
someone, preferably you, roll up a newspaper, swat that person on the nose and
say, 'No"?

And then there are the movies and series like "Playmakers", "3", the Yankees'
miniseries, the Pete Rose film and the upcoming Vince Lombardi biopic starring
Robert DeNiro. With all the naturally occurring drama inherent in sports, why do
you perceive the need to create some?

You're not the only game in town. Don't act like you are.

Did you know that the Arena Football League is back in business with games going
on? And did you know that the Chicago Blackhawks recently won the Stanley Cup
for the first time in nearly 50 years?

Fans of both the AFL and the NHL wouldn't be surprised to hear that you didn't
know either fact, given the paucity of their highlights on your air. From the
outside, it appears that if a sport doesn't have a relationship with ESPN, it
doesn't merit a mention.

Oh, and, from a journalist's perspective, there are few more insulting phrases
heard on sports news broadcasts than "ESPN's (fill in name here) has confirmed
that..."

The implication that flows from that statement is that news isn't news unless
ESPN says it is or unless one of its reporters who has been beaten on a story
has caught up. It's really bad form.

Well, George, that's about it from here, There's probably more, but your time is
valuable. There's a house on a block in Uzbekistan that doesn't get ESPN 3-D and
you'll want to do whatever you can to rectify that ASAP.

Do me a favor, though: Just don't forget about keeping your American audience
happy too, huh?

Sincerely,

Your biggest fan

booya, sportscenter sucks and has for years, the only sportscentre worth watching is the one on canadian tv on tsn, they actually cover hockey.
AMEN!! Love Sportscentre on TSN because they talk about sports. The personalities dont overshadow the show.

I actually flipped on SC last night about 1:00 in the morning.....saw "Coach" on there (Johnathan Coachman....he use to be in the WWE) and he and the other guy were talking (arguing whatever) about what the x-mas day NBA matchup should be
Heat/Cavs or Heat/Lakers

They "argued" their point for a good 2 minutes which lead into hilites of Heat/Cavs SUMMER LEAGUE GAME....are you f**king kidding me???

I posted about the sidebar on SC right after I got D*
SatelliteGuys.US - View Single Post - Sports tickers on TV channels

Oh and why did they pull NASCAR from ABC and put it on ESPN?
ESPN is rarely turned on in my house....usually for the NASCAR races. I prefer MLB Net for MLB scores/hilites

AMEN!! Love Sportscentre on TSN because they talk about sports. The personalities dont overshadow the show.

I actually flipped on SC last night about 1:00 in the morning.....saw "Coach" on there (Johnathan Coachman....he use to be in the WWE) and he and the other guy were talking (arguing whatever) about what the x-mas day NBA matchup should be
Heat/Cavs or Heat/Lakers

They "argued" their point for a good 2 minutes which lead into hilites of Heat/Cavs SUMMER LEAGUE GAME....are you f**king kidding me???

I posted about the sidebar on SC right after I got D*
SatelliteGuys.US - View Single Post - Sports tickers on TV channels

Oh and why did they pull NASCAR from ABC and put it on ESPN?
ESPN is rarely turned on in my house....usually for the NASCAR races. I prefer MLB Net for MLB scores/hilites

Ya, i have seen the canadian Sportscentre and it's much better than the American disaster. Why does Stuart Scott have a job there? He is an embarrassment to television. Here is a UNC graduate that worked his way to the top, and as soon as he gets on Sportscenter he has to start talking like he came from the ghetto! This boo-ya bulls**t is so annoying! I am just glad they finally got rid of kornhoser...errr kornheiser from MNF but he still has his own show. Why is it that the Canadian TSN treat their viewers like they were adults, and ESPN treats theirs like stupid, ignorant morons from Compton? Every sport they broadcast, they ruin! Excessive interviews during the game, horrible over-hyping of individuals, and annoying broadcasters! Look how TSN broadcasts games in Canada. Watch a CFL game sometime (the NFL network rebroadcasts some of their live games) and you don't see any of that. You watch a clean game and you don't feel like your intelligence is insulted. The only goofy thing about Canada is the accents and they way they pronounce the city of Regina, it rhymes with a female body part!

We need a competitor to ESPN sportcenter BADLY....Damn I miss CNN Sport Tonight badly...:(
I see an opportunity for Fox News...call it the SportsTracker or whatever. I used to always watch Sportscenter at night...but I doubt that I watch it more than once a month these days. I hope Versus, Fox Sports Nets, and upstarts like Big Ten Network take a giant bite out of ESPN's business. Their Brittish Open coverage was horrible.

You can believe that letter will fall upon deaf ears. The part about the viewing numbers for the LeBron bull says all you need to know about the future of this broadcast company. More people watched that crap than the MLB All Star game. Give the people what they want. I guess. The truth blows, but the people who want quality are a minority. Need proof? Just check the top ten lists for TV viewing or the music charts. The masses love bull entertainment. Why think, when you can just let it flow over you mindlessly.

BTW, I agree with everything said in the above missive.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can believe that letter will fall upon deaf ears. The part about the viewing numbers for the LeBron bull says all you need to know about the future of this broadcast company. More people watched that crap than the MLB All Star game. Give the people what they want. I guess. The truth blows, but the people who want quality are a minority. Need proof? Just check the top ten lists for TV viewing or the music charts. The masses love bull entertainment. Why think, when you can just let it flow over you mindlessly.

BTW, I agree with everything said in the above missive.

It's a different generation now.
REALITY TV, get real, there's nothing REAL about it.
ESPN has changed with the times, for the worse.
Pretty much the only time I watch ESPN now is when a game is on that I want to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I have a different view of ESPN. I think they are a very good network. There are some legitimate criticisms, but on balance they cover sports very well. Consider the alternative. Broadcast networks just use sports as a way to promote their silly sitcoms. ESPN gives far more extensive coverage to sports than any network would. Through their mulitple channels, (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc), they can cover several games simulataneously while a network would show just one game or regionalize coverage. ESPN has also given far bigger platforms to sports like tennis and college baseball and soccer than they would get anywhere else.

Is some stuff over the top? Yes. Is it necessary to air Baseball Tonight in January and NFL Live in June? No. Why do they let Pam Ward call college football games? God only knows. For all of the little things that people complain about with ESPN there are a lot of good things that they do.

I guess I have a different view of ESPN. I think they are a very good network. There are some legitimate criticisms, but on balance they cover sports very well. Consider the alternative. Broadcast networks just use sports as a way to promote their silly sitcoms. ESPN gives far more extensive coverage to sports than any network would. Through their mulitple channels, (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc), they can cover several games simulataneously while a network would show just one game or regionalize coverage. ESPN has also given far bigger platforms to sports like tennis and college baseball and soccer than they would get anywhere else.

Is some stuff over the top? Yes. Is it necessary to air Baseball Tonight in January and NFL Live in June? No. Why do they let Pam Ward call college football games? God only knows. For all of the little things that people complain about with ESPN there are a lot of good things that they do.

I agree with alot of what your saying, but the original post was very accurate as well.
Looks like there is alot of improvement that could be made.

Lets get rid of the Movie making and the endless Poker programs and get back to SPORTS.

We need a competitor to ESPN sportcenter BADLY....Damn I miss CNN Sport Tonight badly...:(

Perhaps the Comcast - NBC merger won't be so bad after all; if they continue molding the Vs. Network into a competitor for ESPN. I know know many people think Vs is a joke with all the lance armstrong and bull riding coverage.

However their hockey coverage, especially during the Stanley Cup Playoffis, was actually very good. It is not on par with Hockey Night in Canada or NHL on TSN yet; but it definitely an improvement over the old Barry Melrose and Company broadcasts of ESPN past; and the talking heads crap that has become a staple of ESPN in the past 5 years or so.

Bring back the Real Sportscenters and NFL Primetime of the past ESPN.

Perhaps the Comcast - NBC merger won't be so bad after all; if they continue molding the Vs. Network into a competitor for ESPN. I know know many people think Vs is a joke with all the lance armstrong and bull riding coverage.

However their hockey coverage, especially during the Stanley Cup Playoffis, was actually very good. It is not on par with Hockey Night in Canada or NHL on TSN yet; but it definitely an improvement over the old Barry Melrose and Company broadcasts of ESPN past; and the talking heads crap that has become a staple of ESPN in the past 5 years or so.

Bring back the Real Sportscenters and NFL Primetime of the past ESPN.

VS does thier own Talking Head stuff just like ESPN does.

Outside of Hockey, VS doesn't have much going for it.
What does the Bicycle schedule look like, is it enough to carry the channel for 5 months when the NHL is NOT on, even the NHL isn't that great, they can only show ONE game at a time, so if your not a Penguins fan you may as well look elsewhere.
If they are going to fill the rest of thier programming with bicycle and bull riding, good luck keeping the attention of the general public, they will probably also add the Poker to thier network as well, if they haven't already.

The NHL shows still have 1970's old ESPN sets ....

I agree with the OP word for word except one phrase. I have to admit that I like the Poker. :D

I agree with the OP word for word except one phrase. I have to admit that I like the Poker. :D

However, Poker is NOT a Sport .....
Then again, thats what the E in ESPN stands for .... Entertainment ..... however, I personally don't find someone else playing poker to be entertaining.

However, Poker is NOT a Sport .....
Then again, thats what the E in ESPN stands for .... Entertainment ..... however, I personally don't find someone else playing poker to be entertaining.

I can take it or leave it. If they weren't going to show it, I wouldn't complain.

I found the part about the Arena Football League to be pretty funny. This is a sport that embodies the ESPN-ification of sports in the 21st century. More points = more excitement, and yet they aren't covering it?

Count me in as one of those who thinks ESPN needs a major overhaul! Although I will give them credit for espn3.com, it certainly has helped get through the long workdays, since there is always something to watch online.

I found the part about the Arena Football League to be pretty funny. This is a sport that embodies the ESPN-ification of sports in the 21st century. More points = more excitement, and yet they aren't covering it?

Count me in as one of those who thinks ESPN needs a major overhaul! Although I will give them credit for espn3.com, it certainly has helped get through the long workdays, since there is always something to watch online.

Things have gotten so bad with ESPN Big Shots, that they would rather broadcast, Poker, WNBA, Little League Baseball, and phony Sports Award Shows, than a Global Sport that Millions around the world watch in Professional Hockey.

FYI, the programing you see on the NHL Network is basically all produced by TSN which owns the network in Canada.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)